Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM

36 posts, read 223,625 times

Advertisements

So, I have been experiencing constant nausea for several months now. I am on my 3rd medication (tigan) to see if that helps. At times it does but within hours the nausea is back. A little history about me....I suffer from chronic migraines and basilar migraines or "bickerstaff syndrome". Although nausea is a common side effect I am suffering from it even when Im not or never do have the migraines so now Im starting to wonder if there's something else going on that no one has caught. The meds I am currently taking I have taken too long for them to be a cause, so all my docs have ruled them out. My neurologist says it may be the headaches and my pcp said maybe Vertigo ever since I had similar symptoms to it.

This leaves me with research. I'm trying to see if there is anyone else out there who suffers from unexplained nausea. I wake up with it and it lingers all day. There are days where I will feel fine most of the day but it is guaranteed at some point nausea peaks. Just recently within the last couple of weeks I have now noticed that the smell of food makes me want to vomit. Perfume smells make my stomach flip and smoke...don't even let me BEGIN to go there. I lose my appetite and eventually feel starving, when I try to force myself to eat I end up getting so nauseated I gag, then I just give up. I also noticed that when I do eat I have stomach pains as if It was empty, feels like I haven't eaten in days, yet I have a full stomach. This weekend I began experiencing motion sickness type symptoms. Whether it's me driving or someone else, Im nauseated to death and just want to stick my head out the window. It's starting to affect my sleeping patterns and distracting me at work. I use to goto the gym all the time with my boyfriend and now I just don't have the energy to. I attempted last week and had to sick down after feeling like I was going to vomit. Im also trying to find a good GI doc in my area but it would help if anyone came forward who has had or know someone who has experienced this and what time of resolution there was.

Please feel free to PM me if you would rather respond privately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM

523 posts, read 3,797,683 times
sorry to ask the obvious, but could you be pregnant?

medicines you have been taking for a long time, even if they havent caused problems in the past, can cause new problems, such as nausea, so it would be helpful to know what you are taking.

how frequent are your migraines? have they changed in frequency or character lately?

do you have problems with your vision (aside from any migraine-related aura)? how about issues with lack of coordination of movement of your arms & legs?

do you have any dizziness other symptoms associated with the nausea?

any other significant illnesses?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,595,574 times
Have you been tested for h.pylori ulcers? When I had an infection, I had stomach pain about an hour after eating and had nausea all day. On my cell phone so can't italicize h.pylori.

Also, prodromal (spelling? ) migraines can produce nausea. I swear by feverfew for migraines (4 doubble-blind placebo controlled studies published in Lancet). Ask your neurologist if they would object to a trial of it.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM

Meds- Inderol LA, vyvanse, Wellbutrin, Nortriptyline(idk if that is the right spelling), Tigan as needed(3rd anti nausea rx im attempting)

I had migraines a lot in my teenage years, about 2 years ago(currently 26) They started up again this time with a vengence. Average was 4 days at least, i swear at times daily. A lot of my meds have worked as beta blockers and broken the cycles of the migraine which within the last year they have been getting better as time goes on and I have been making positive progress. My first thought, since i work in an OBGYN, was pregnancy but I keep taking neg blood tests so right now thats ruled out. Im calling an internist that we refer to a lot that deals with issues like this and hopefully we can get some answers because this is not the way to live and I do not wish this feeling on anyone. Another thing that a doc has mentioned to me which HAS occurred is my eye sight has changed for the worst. I do get dizzy quite frequently then after a while I feel fine unless it's an onset of a migraine. My mobility (arms/hands/legs/feet) are fine.

I haven't been tested for anything other than routine blood work and evals of my migraines, I had an exploratory lap surgery last June and they did not find anything else out of the ordinary, then again the main focus was the uterus and what not checking for endometriosis which presumed negative but monitoring as they could see possible onset of it, but I haven't had issues since then. Other than that they haven't tested me for anything, i just get the answers "it's in your head". I hate when doctor's do that btw because they tend to convince themselves nothing is wrong leading them to make choices against possible important testing and treatments that need to be taken or at least looked at.

My gyn doc who works next door to me is concerned because other docs seem to want to change this rx and that rx and she worries they are just going to drug me up when they are not testing me for protential condition, I have good ins so test away!!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM

36,971 posts, read 40,923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree87 View Post
So, I have been experiencing constant nausea for several months now. I am on my 3rd medication (tigan) to see if that helps. At times it does but within hours the nausea is back. A little history about me....I suffer from chronic migraines and basilar migraines or "bickerstaff syndrome". Although nausea is a common side effect I am suffering from it even when Im not or never do have the migraines so now Im starting to wonder if there's something else going on that no one has caught. The meds I am currently taking I have taken too long for them to be a cause, so all my docs have ruled them out. My neurologist says it may be the headaches and my pcp said maybe Vertigo ever since I had similar symptoms to it.

This leaves me with research. I'm trying to see if there is anyone else out there who suffers from unexplained nausea. I wake up with it and it lingers all day. There are days where I will feel fine most of the day but it is guaranteed at some point nausea peaks. Just recently within the last couple of weeks I have now noticed that the smell of food makes me want to vomit. Perfume smells make my stomach flip and smoke...don't even let me BEGIN to go there. I lose my appetite and eventually feel starving, when I try to force myself to eat I end up getting so nauseated I gag, then I just give up. I also noticed that when I do eat I have stomach pains as if It was empty, feels like I haven't eaten in days, yet I have a full stomach. This weekend I began experiencing motion sickness type symptoms. Whether it's me driving or someone else, Im nauseated to death and just want to stick my head out the window. It's starting to affect my sleeping patterns and distracting me at work. I use to goto the gym all the time with my boyfriend and now I just don't have the energy to. I attempted last week and had to sick down after feeling like I was going to vomit. Im also trying to find a good GI doc in my area but it would help if anyone came forward who has had or know someone who has experienced this and what time of resolution there was.

Please feel free to PM me if you would rather respond privately
Do see your GI doc.

You might want to ask about this if nothing common is diagnosed:

Unexplained Chronic Nausea - Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center

Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM

18,438 posts, read 18,561,023 times
When did you first notice this and what with.....

Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 PM

The nausea started about 6 months ago give or take, It is my second biggest complaint and issue and my neur. just wrote it off as a symptom of my migraines but Im recording and noticing the frequency of it and it's happening even when I don't get the migraines. All day Sunday I felt nauseated and tried sleeping it off but woke up feeling worse. I couldn't leave the house at that point. I just scheduled an appt for Monday.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM

123 posts, read 244,631 times
Hi Bree,

Your nausea could be caused by a lot of things.

It could be a side-effect of one of the medications.
It could be a symptom of heart failure
It could also be a symptom of brain tumor.

Keep pushing the doctors to check everything out.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 PM

32,766 posts, read 35,986,074 times
Meniere’s disease? Diabetes? A friend's friend developed Meniere's and her worst symptoms were/are dizziness and vomiting.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 AM

523 posts, read 3,797,683 times
thanks for the extra information - i cant help thinking that the likely culprits are either the meds you are currently taking (a couple of which are well known to be associated with nausea), the migraines, or perhaps something related to a vestibular type disorder, since you are also experiencing some visual disturbance and dizziness.

common things are common (and rare things are rare) - it is extremely unlikely to be a brain tumour, and even less likely to be heart failure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness