U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 AM

11,015 posts, read 8,863,415 times

Advertisements

My dad is in his early 60s. He fell about 6 months ago and hit his head really hard. He went to the Dr. and they said he had a bad concussion but nothing else. They did all sorts of scans and tests. Ever since then my dad hasn't been the same though. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or the fall triggered something.

Since then he has been very forgetful and just has moments of not being all there, if that makes sense. He actually went to the Dr. for this and they recommend he get tested for Alzheimer's and Dementia. He went through 8 hours of testing in addition to some brain scans. They said he didn't have Alzheimer's. They didn't say he did or didn't have beginning of dementia though. They said some tests he did really well and others he did poorly. That is COULD be indicative of the beginning of dementia. He has another appointment with a neurologist soon to go over the results of the tests and discuss options for treatment.

I'm just curious if anyone else has heard of a bump to the head like this triggering something or if it's just a coincidence? He's been somewhat aloof his whole life so it's hard to say he was sharp one day and not the next, but he is definitely different since his fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 01:56 PM

3,846 posts, read 1,433,136 times
Could be lasting effects of the concussion as oldsters don't heal as well or quickly as youngsters. Could be coincidence (did he fall because of a balance or cognitive issue or vice versa?), could be increased anxiety about falling again....so he's less confident or sure of himself.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:45 PM

9,802 posts, read 7,923,180 times
Depends on how big the lessions are and where they are. Recovery from concussions is also hard on the soul for old people; the same with any fall.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 426 times
Ok, a little info on my concussion. I was 66 years old in May 2016, I got up from bed at 4am to go potty and passed out and my head hit our wood floor with the back of my head. I don’t remember anything of what happened or the 12 days in the hospital... I had a traumatic brain injury. Hemorrhage’s both in front and back, evidently that my brain bounced back and front of my head. Right now I can’t even remember what they call it.

After I got back from the hospital I had bad, bad headaches 24 hrs a day. They told me to rest at least for the next two months with no reading and no TV etc. Which is what I did. My brian is on vacation. They took my drivers license away for 5 months and then I had to retake the written test and the driving test! Drs said it would be a couple of years before I would get my brain back. I don’t believe them at all. Still after 19 months, my brain is still on vacation!

I was the one that paid all the bills on time , new everybody’s birthdays, really didn’t need a calendar to keep track of stuff. I cant even remember friends names that we have known for 10+ years. Now, I’m worthless. I stay in my pj’s all day and barely go outside. Then on top of it, I got my Hot flashes back and of course drs won’t put me back on hormone replacement so I need something to fix this. I get hot flashes at night and then I can’t sleep and cranky the next day.

Anybody have any fixes for brain recuperation and hot flashes?

Old 01-12-2018, 05:12 PM

1,305 posts, read 618,773 times
I know a young man who hit his head 5-6 years ago, had a concussion, and his personality changed after the fall, he has never been the same since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness