Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:39 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I allergic to all dairy products so I have to depend upon calcium and magnesium supplements. They seem to be working but I haven't been tested in a few years. There's vitamin D in the calcium--I take Bone Up calcium supplement and it seems pretty good. I also take K2 to make sure the calcium goes into the bones--we had an entire thread on this and there is evidence to prove that it does the job. I was taking a cal/mag supplement from CVS before but it had too many other things in it and was messing with my B vitamin levels--that's what I think anyway--my new dr won't check vitamin levels!

A long time ago the dr put me on Fosamax and then it was recalled from the market. That's just another prescription that they gave to people only to find that it was damaging and then needed to be taken off the market.
I was just going to mention Fosamax, my mom has been taking it for many years but even so, has recently been hospitalized and in rehab for severe multiple back issues, degenerated disks, fractures, spinal stenosis, arthritis, she is in bad shape. She is still taking it. Ugh - didn't realize there were issues.

She also smoked for 60 years, I guess that also contributed to her back problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 07:46 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
I allergic to all dairy products so I have to depend upon calcium and magnesium supplements. They seem to be working but I haven't been tested in a few years. There's vitamin D in the calcium--I take Bone Up calcium supplement and it seems pretty good. I also take K2 to make sure the calcium goes into the bones--we had an entire thread on this and there is evidence to prove that it does the job. I was taking a cal/mag supplement from CVS before but it had too many other things in it and was messing with my B vitamin levels--that's what I think anyway--my new dr won't check vitamin levels!

A long time ago the dr put me on Fosamax and then it was recalled from the market. That's just another prescription that they gave to people only to find that it was damaging and then needed to be taken off the market.
If you have the money to self-pay you can order your own lab tests online and get the results yourself - here is just one source where you order the test and then set up an appt. locally to have blood drawn:

https://www.healthonelabs.com/tests_offer/index/19

They offer many other tests beyond vitamin and mineral levels so check them (and similar others) out.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:04 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
I was prescribed Fosamax for a year, over a decade ago, for osteopenia. It was a fairly new medication then. Several years later I had a dental implant that did not take, and both the implant dentist and my regular dentist believed that it was due to my having taken Fosomax. Studies were later published about its effect on the jawbone and gum tissue.

BTW, from the results of a bone density exam, it was determined later that the osteopenia reversed itself. I really think it was due to the fact that I started doing weight bearing exercises. Prior to that, I had only walked or jogged.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I was just going to mention Fosamax, my mom has been taking it for many years but even so, has recently been hospitalized and in rehab for severe multiple back issues, degenerated disks, fractures, spinal stenosis, arthritis, she is in bad shape. She is still taking it. Ugh - didn't realize there were issues.

She also smoked for 60 years, I guess that also contributed to her back problems.
In so much of our health issues Magnesium is a huge missing link. So much deficiency and doctors just don't know about or want to know, as they know to just write the drugs. Makes me crazy of all that goes on and doesn't go on.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:22 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
I'm with you on that one jamin! I am so tired of just doing what the doctor says...especially when it comes to drugs. Seems so/to often they cause more problems then they fix---not always I know and some drugs do save lives but I just don't see that with this situation. Just my opinion.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
My mother was on a drug for calcium for years and ended up with a broken leg bone right up under the hip. Turns out that medication was known for contributing to this type of break as it adds "calcium" but not the right way - more brittle, as another poster described. Not sure of the name but it was one of the commonly prescribed.

I had a bone scan years ago that was fine but don't choose to have another one. My mother was told she had osteoporosis based on a wrist scan, which are notoriously unreliable. I eat yogurt, salmon, greens (and yes, ice cream) among other things for calcium but don't take calcium supplements.

I have concerns about calcium buildup in blood vessels, which I am starting to hear about. Don't know if it is affected by calcium supplements but I am very wary of drugs being found to be harmful as much as helpful. Seems to happen too often for comfort.

Everyone has to make their own conclusion. I am all for some medications that are absolutely medically necessary but I prefer to exercise and get calcium through my diet.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Vitamin K2 ? A Little-Known Nutrient Can Make a Big Difference in Heart and Bone Health

Optimizing bone health isn’t as simple as getting enough dietary calcium. Beyond the obvious importance of this mineral, other factors, such as vitamin D and magnesium intake, low-grade systemic inflammation, weight-bearing exercise, and intestinal health, also impact bone mineral density, and vitamin K2 should be added to the list.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24089220

Vitamin K2 deficiency could be responsible of the so called "calcium paradox", that is the lack of calcium in the bone and its storage in the vessel wall. These events may have clinically relevant consequences, such as cardiovascular accidents, and bone fractures.

From a previous thread. http://www.city-data.com/forum/suppl...iors-take.html

Old 12-31-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
My mother was on a drug for calcium for years and ended up with a broken leg bone right up under the hip. Turns out that medication was known for contributing to this type of break as it adds "calcium" but not the right way - more brittle, as another poster described. Not sure of the name but it was one of the commonly prescribed.

I had a bone scan years ago that was fine but don't choose to have another one. My mother was told she had osteoporosis based on a wrist scan, which are notoriously unreliable. I eat yogurt, salmon, greens (and yes, ice cream) among other things for calcium but don't take calcium supplements.

I have concerns about calcium buildup in blood vessels, which I am starting to hear about. Don't know if it is affected by calcium supplements but I am very wary of drugs being found to be harmful as much as helpful. Seems to happen too often for comfort.

Everyone has to make their own conclusion. I am all for some medications that are absolutely medically necessary but I prefer to exercise and get calcium through my diet.
So much calcium is pushed, and it goes to our blood stream and NOT the bones. That's where D3/K2 and magnesium come in for bone strength. Such a shame doctors just don't do the right things and follow what they are taught and don't go out and learn more on their own. I take hardly any calcium and know I get some in my foods.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 PM

When I was seeing a rheumy regularly after hip replacement, she did acupuncture and other therapies, but she kept trying to PUSH calcium on me and I kept pushing Magnesium to the conversation...She was rather young and out of med school maybe 10 yrs,,,but the calcium was pushed. I did not give in as I knew better than her I believed.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:18 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
Quote:
Vitamin K2 ? A Little-Known Nutrient Can Make a Big Difference in Heart and Bone Health

Optimizing bone health isn’t as simple as getting enough dietary calcium. Beyond the obvious importance of this mineral, other factors, such as vitamin D and magnesium intake, low-grade systemic inflammation, weight-bearing exercise, and intestinal health, also impact bone mineral density, and vitamin K2 should be added to the list.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24089220

Vitamin K2 deficiency could be responsible of the so called "calcium paradox", that is the lack of calcium in the bone and its storage in the vessel wall. These events may have clinically relevant consequences, such as cardiovascular accidents, and bone fractures.

From a previous thread. http://www.city-data.com/forum/suppl...iors-take.html
Thanks for this info. I will give K2 a try. I am aware that it is very difficult to get enough calcium in your diet that women need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness