U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:45 PM

21,288 posts, read 19,922,969 times

Advertisements

Okay, had to remove my sling I have on from getting a reverse shoulder replacement 2 weeks ago--no rotator cuff so had to have an entire shoulder replacement. This has nothing to do with my bone situation but there is something I need to say and it will take some typing which is very hard with only my left hand. My plans for my doctor appointment regarding my osteoporosis is I am not going to even try any medications. My reasons have been answered over and over here so I am very sure about my feelings. Now my friends and family would not agree--do what the doctor says....not going to happen this time. Yes, I will agree to supplements and vitamins but that's it. I will agree to really make a try to eat better as I have not been eating much at all since I lost my husband to ALS a few years ago and do not eat alone well. I will also exercise and get my body in shape but since I have had no problems with my bones and only found out about the bone problems from a test Medicare requires now, that I feel why fix something that is not broken. Why chance all the problems with drugs that have not been working for most. I live alone and do not need more problems so that is my feelings--I feel better letting it all out. I sure appreciate all of your helpful information and look forward to more if anyone cares to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 03:42 PM

767 posts, read 670,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Okay, had to remove my sling I have on from getting a reverse shoulder replacement 2 weeks ago--no rotator cuff so had to have an entire shoulder replacement. This has nothing to do with my bone situation but there is something I need to say and it will take some typing which is very hard with only my left hand. My plans for my doctor appointment regarding my osteoporosis is I am not going to even try any medications. My reasons have been answered over and over here so I am very sure about my feelings. Now my friends and family would not agree--do what the doctor says....not going to happen this time. Yes, I will agree to supplements and vitamins but that's it. I will agree to really make a try to eat better as I have not been eating much at all since I lost my husband to ALS a few years ago and do not eat alone well. I will also exercise and get my body in shape but since I have had no problems with my bones and only found out about the bone problems from a test Medicare requires now, that I feel why fix something that is not broken. Why chance all the problems with drugs that have not been working for most. I live alone and do not need more problems so that is my feelings--I feel better letting it all out. I sure appreciate all of your helpful information and look forward to more if anyone cares to share.
So sorry about your shoulder. What an inconvenience.

Anyway, I'm totally with you on everything you said here. I've come to the same conclusion. I've had three dentists (general, endo, and oral surgeon) tell me, independently of each other, that they would not treat anyone who takes any of the osteoporosis meds. It's required by each of them that you, the patient, sign a form stating that you do not and never have taken any of "those" meds before they will treat you. Plus I react badly to many meds - have many confirmed allergies (some life-threatening) to antibiotics and others -and can't see risking an adverse reaction for a questionable outcome.

I, too, had no idea I had any bone issues until the DEXA scan. In fact, I had a terrible fall a year ago in a parking lot, where I tripped over a parking bumper (while watching eagles fly in so not looking where I was going), launched myself on to a cement walkway and did a three-point landing on my left arm, chin, and right knee. While I did lacerate my lip, sprained my left thumb, wrist, elbow and all the tissues in between, and tore muscles in my right leg to give myself a compartment injury with horrendous multiple hematomas, I broke nothing! My doctor was amazed and can't believe that nothing was broken. So it really makes me wonder about the accuracy of DEXA scans. I had the most recent DEXA about a month after that fall. It was the one which showed borderline osteopenia/osteoporosis.

I do eat well and walk 3-4 miles a day, along with a home-based exercise program utilizing light weights and isometric exercises. I still can't walk up and down hills due to the leg but get in those miles on mostly flat asphalt and cement surfaces, along with some dirt trails. So good concussive action there.

Remember the old adage . . . if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Seems to apply to some degree, at least to me.

Good luck imparting your thoughts to your doctor. I'm hoping mine will work with me and not against me. He said we'd see what the next DEXA shows in 2019 and then discuss it. So I have awhile to rehearse my speech!

Old 01-02-2018, 04:01 PM

10,731 posts, read 3,331,168 times
Recent posters: You know how I feel so I won't elaborate anymore.

I just don't go to doctors, only IF really necessary. I thought by now since home from rehabs for knee mess, I would have gone to talk about knee replacement, but can't even do that. I learn plenty from all the alternative ways to heal and keep strong. We are our own best doctors unless it's something we can't fix. Too much info out there to ignore this.

OP:: Hope your shoulder heals well for you. I have a couple messy shoulders but live with them. I've been alone so long and eating is NEVER a problem for me. Work on that..

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-02-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Jamin, you are so sweet...I will work on the eating. My doctor basically knows how I feel but that doesn't mean he will agree...but it is my decision!

Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Thinking about this subject and it's a given as we age so go our bones. I had a 5 5" frame for most of my life and started shrinking probably in my 60's or maybe found out at the only bone density test I've taken. I'm not taking anymore, what for, I know we shrink and I'm taking bone supports for the body I live in. My posture is good and know I live with arthritis.

My parents and all my elders in my family never had these bone tests...and never had all the info we have today either. The just shrunk but didn't question it all, the info was not there for them. But they lived long lives in my family.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:50 PM

11,889 posts, read 11,840,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I had a 5 5" frame for most of my life and started shrinking probably in my 60's or maybe found out at the only bone density test I've taken..
But the spine stiffens and shrinks as one ages--regardless of the condition of one's bones--which causes slight loss of height.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 AM

The last few years have been very difficult in my life..lots of emotional ups and downs...but so far I keep picking myself back up but to deal with possible side effects while trying to continue working and caring for my animals and my home by myself could possibly be more then I can deal with so I just am not going to try! I know I need to exercise and eat better so that is just something I will have to really put out an effort. It beats the alternative!

Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But the spine stiffens and shrinks as one ages--regardless of the condition of one's bones--which causes slight loss of height.
Oh my spine is stiff with degenerative disc disease, so I know that one. And I'd never do a back surgery and thank goodness the back was never that bad to consider surgery for disc issues.

I do back/spine stretches every day, morning and night to keep myself as flexible as I can.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 AM

So my doctor appointment to discuss my bones is Jan 8th and I dread it. I already know he will try to push the drugs on me so I have to stay strong. I am also not happy about all those viruses floating around right now and going to a doctors office--ugh! I've thought about postponing the appointment but that is just more waiting and I need to get this over and done with. At least I feel strong about what I have learned about the drugs and already know it is really up to me for the final decision.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
So my doctor appointment to discuss my bones is Jan 8th and I dread it. I already know he will try to push the drugs on me so I have to stay strong. I am also not happy about all those viruses floating around right now and going to a doctors office--ugh! I've thought about postponing the appointment but that is just more waiting and I need to get this over and done with. At least I feel strong about what I have learned about the drugs and already know it is really up to me for the final decision.
On your flu comment, it's pretty bad around CA and people going to ER and flooding the ER's....they are being told to go home and rest/etc...antioxidants are so vital to keep immune system in good HEALTH and STRONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness