U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM

1,799 posts, read 2,392,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
So my doctor appointment to discuss my bones is Jan 8th and I dread it. I already know he will try to push the drugs on me so I have to stay strong. I am also not happy about all those viruses floating around right now and going to a doctors office--ugh! I've thought about postponing the appointment but that is just more waiting and I need to get this over and done with. At least I feel strong about what I have learned about the drugs and already know it is really up to me for the final decision.
I don't have any personal experience with osteoporosis medications, but I do have experience with doctors trying to push me to take medications. Here's what I recommend:

When your doctor says something like, "I'd like you to start taking [whatever medication]," you can say, "Before I do that, I have some questions. I've heard a lot of very negative stories about bad side effects of these medications. What's your feeling about those kinds of reports?"

Then when that discussion is finished and your doctor wants to go ahead and prescribe for you, you can say, "Well, you've given me a lot to think about. This is a big decision for me, and I'm going to need some time to process it. I'm grateful for your suggestions and explanation, and if I decide to go ahead with the medication I'll call your office for a prescription."

And that can be the end of it. You don't have to say a flat NO, you're just kicking the decision down the road a bit ... maybe forever. That's your prerogative as the patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 02:19 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,417,381 times
Quote:
Okay, I will also exercise and get my body in shape

OP,
I think balance and stability training is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of breaking a bone. (If you can't balance on one leg for 60 seconds you will benefit from balance and stability training). However, be aware that most trainers, group class instructors and even your doctor have no clue what exercises you should not do if you already have osteoporosis.

It took a trainer at my gym with a background in physical therapy ( two years ago) to teach me which exercises I should avoid and which exercises were OK to do. When I look back on my first attempts to get into an exercise routine 12 years and 6 years ago trainers had me doing about 1/3 of my exercises that were not good for someone with osteoporosis. They were fine to prevent osteoporosis, but, counter indicated if you already had osteoporosis.

When I get into discussions with other people who have osteoporosis I find that no one told them they should avoid certain exercises. If I am in a group class I let the instructor know which types of moves I need to avoid and she will come up with an alternate exercise for me.

Basically, if you have osteoporosis, avoid any exercises that cause you to bend forward such as sit-ups, crunches, touching your toes etc.. Always seek to maintain a neutral spine position when doing an exercise. Spinning classes I also avoid because I can't maintain a neutral spine position.

Do not twist your spine excessively too far to the left or right which is called for in some exercises. Put together these two "do not's" and you should NEVER have to shovel snow ever again!

The third "don't" is with regard to "excessive loading". Step-ups on a wooden box are fine, jumping up on the same box-not so good. Walking is great, running not so good. It is the sudden loading of the limb that you want to avoid, where you risk fracturing your spine. Slow steady loading is fine.

And the really good news is that next year when your balance has improved and you have more muscle strength, your trainer might let you take up indoor rock climbing! And don't say you could never do that! I started climbing last year when I turned 69. Another women who was rehabbing from double knee replacement did her first indoor rock climb for her 74th birthday. Just met another woman at my gym in her late 60's or early 70's who has just started a workout program and her goal is - you guessed it -climb the rock wall!

Old 01-06-2018, 05:27 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,911,959 times
Thank you for some great advise!

Old 01-08-2018, 04:44 AM

Today is the day....I know what I want and will stand up for myself. Still feel very anxious.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:46 AM

976 posts, read 857,057 times
Good luck and stay strong! I'll be waiting for your report. Maybe it will help me form my strategy for my confrontation with my doc next year.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 AM

I wii share it all!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM

18,892 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Quote:
Today is the day....I know what I want and will stand up for myself. Still feel very anxious.
Don't let those in white coats cause you discomfort. They just have more degrees than us, otherwise no better than us. Human and do get their health issues too and other of life's issues.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 AM

After much discussion my doctor agreed to let me try taking the proper vitamins, eat well and exercise and will keep an eye on me. His biggest fear is getting a fracture in my spine or hip. That is scary.....I really have to do this and pray it keeps me well. At least I am not taking medications right now.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 AM

976 posts, read 857,057 times
Great news! You must have presented your case well. People lived long and fruitful lives, fracture free, for a very long time before DEXA came along. My family, for example, has no history of osteoporosis or frax. Everyone has lived to be around 90, unless accident or catastrophic illness got there first. Everyone was active and ate well. So it can be done without fuss or muss, despite the opinions of the medical community. Once you get your program established, it will become second nature. Best of luck!

Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,345,256 times
Quote:
After much discussion my doctor agreed to let me try taking the proper vitamins, eat well and exercise and will keep an eye on me. His biggest fear is getting a fracture in my spine or hip. That is scary.....I really have to do this and pray it keeps me well. At least I am not taking medications right now.
Can you share what vitamins and food recommendations he gave you? Types of exercise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness