U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 AM

17,835 posts, read 5,758,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Great news! You must have presented your case well. People lived long and fruitful lives, fracture free, for a very long time before DEXA came along. My family, for example, has no history of osteoporosis or frax. Everyone has lived to be around 90, unless accident or catastrophic illness got there first. Everyone was active and ate well. So it can be done without fuss or muss, despite the opinions of the medical community. Once you get your program established, it will become second nature. Best of luck!
It's true, it wasn't until all these high tech tests came along that the push for more medications hit the U.S.
Medical industry doing what they do well.

My family lived long too and no dexa tests in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:17 AM

21,839 posts, read 20,755,347 times
I'll do my best Kara.....calcium 1000mg a day with vit D (most calcium contains D it seems). I take a multi vitamin Healthy Accent senior generic multi vitamin and 500 mg generic magnesium. Still researching the food but will post when I figure that part out......exercise, walking, and balance exercises. There are more but don't want to post the incorrect information so I will post that with the food later. So far this is what I know...

Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 AM

17,835 posts, read 5,758,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'll do my best Kara.....calcium 1000mg a day with vit D (most calcium contains D it seems). I take a multi vitamin Healthy Accent senior generic multi vitamin and 500 mg generic magnesium. Still researching the food but will post when I figure that part out......exercise, walking, and balance exercises. There are more but don't want to post the incorrect information so I will post that with the food later. So far this is what I know...
Did your doctor test Vit D levels, those calcium tabs contain very little amounts of D. And it's reported that so much of the calcium being consumed goes into the blood stream and not the bones. This is why I take much more magnesium than calcium and much more Vit D3 and K2...I'm on top of the Vit D testing.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:37 AM

947 posts, read 826,486 times
^^^^^This.

I was extremely low on D (can't remember the number and too lazy to go dig out the report) in spite of taking a multi-vitamin with D and a calcium supplement with D. Plus I was outdoors ALL day most days taking care of my livestock, pastures, and landscape all year long with plenty of exposed skin in nice weather. So much for the sun's contribution. I was still off-the-charts low. I was originally prescribed 1000mg of D daily which wasn't enough, as my follow-up tests showed only slightly improved levels. My total daily D supplement intake is now 3000mg which has kept me in normal range. We can all process things differently.

Don't forget about the National Osteoporosis Foundation's website (link posted in one of my earlier posts upthread). Lots of good nutritional and exercise info there.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:01 PM

947 posts, read 826,486 times
Just thought of something - a word of caution. Be careful how you answer questions about your fracture history. When I went for my DEXA, the tech asked me if I'd ever broken a bone. I proudly said "Never, except for getting my finger smashed in a door when I was 20". Dumb thing for me to say, I now know. When the DEXA report came back, it said "history of fractures"! Arrgghhh. So now forevermore I'm a marked woman! It's going to come back to haunt me I'm sure.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 AM

126 posts, read 41,470 times
Has anyone had a break or back fracture and had it cemented back together ? There's been some great advice on here , thank you .

Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 AM

17,621 posts, read 16,816,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Has anyone had a break or back fracture and had it cemented back together ? There's been some great advice on here , thank you .
You might want to start a new thread on this. Unless it's mainly about osteoporosis medications, which is our topic.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 AM

126 posts, read 41,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You might want to start a new thread on this. Unless it's mainly about osteoporosis medications, which is our topic.
Ok

Old 01-30-2018, 11:01 AM

12,592 posts, read 10,308,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
My wife just had a pin placed in her femur; she has a cancerous tumor and there was already a hairline crack in her bone. My wife had always been afraid of the Boniva type medications for her osteoporosis. This subject came up with her post-operation consultation. Keep in mind that her surgeon is one of only five orthopedic surgeons in the State of PA that is also an oncologist.

While my wife complained about all the horror stories on line about bone pain with these medications; her surgeon said that he treats cancer - not osteoporosis. He told her that before these medications he would repair one broken bone and a few months later another bone. Once these medications were available he rarely saw repeat customers - not that it could not happen. However, he told her, that the pain of one of these newer bone drugs usually only causes pain for a short time. He also said that the pain of healing from a fracture could last for months or longer. So he highly recommended two different medications and told my wife it was up to her; but she should decide on one of them.

Here is one good abstract with lots of references for those that like to research the subject:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3513863/.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:16 PM

8,128 posts, read 8,977,784 times
Just finished reading the entire thread and some very interesting things here.

Last Oct. I fell and broke my left wrist and hip. Was in the hospital for two weeks...one week was all physical therapy...and then they said I needed a DEXA scan. So, I got that. It seems my Vit D was VERY low and some others as well. I had only been taking one Centrum Silver a day for a long time but evidently that wasn't enough. She gave me a prescription for D3, (50,000 mg) and only took one pill a week for six weeks. Last week I saw her again, after having blood work done, and ALL my numbers are either right on target or a bit high! She also prescribed a med called Fortero which is administered every night by injection. The paperwork on this is massive and I'm STILL wading through it all. I guess it's done some good already but I have to do it for two years. I've heard of the other meds mentioned....Fosamax, etc....but don't know anyone who has used them.

The thread on how many pills people take got me to thinking about this. I take the calcium, Vit D3 (2000 mg), Vit C, two baby aspirins and, still, one Centrum Silver. I'll be adding magnesium this week. It's all OTC stuff, except for the Fortero.

I WAS taking 1,000 mg of calcium but those things made it almost impossible to go to the bathroom and that was painful! I asked her what to do. She suggested calcium with magnesium but, honestly, I think 500 mg calcium is plenty if I eat right. Which I don't. If I'm not working I eat VERY well because I can do it on my own schedule whenever I want to. Otherwise it's 'scheduled' and I'm just not always hungry when I'm scheduled to be! Then I get home and I'm too tired to even want to eat. It's no wonder I can't gain weight!

The fall that broke my hip was strictly an off the wall event. I've never ever had balance problems or had other falls, etc.. They acted like just because of my AGE I am probably susceptible but I don't think so. I have a very active job with lots of bending, squatting, lifting and moving side to side. I'm a retail cashier and people think nothing of putting big heavy items on my belt and refusing to take them off themselves. Any idea how much a 30 pack of beer weighs? Or a big case of water? A LOT! They seem to think if they can do it I can too. I am 5' tall and weigh less than 100 lbs.. Lifting heavy items from waist height is hard! By the end of the day I'm hurting from my neck to my butt! I need a less physical job....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness