U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 11:13 AM

10,731 posts, read 3,331,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Great news! You must have presented your case well. People lived long and fruitful lives, fracture free, for a very long time before DEXA came along. My family, for example, has no history of osteoporosis or frax. Everyone has lived to be around 90, unless accident or catastrophic illness got there first. Everyone was active and ate well. So it can be done without fuss or muss, despite the opinions of the medical community. Once you get your program established, it will become second nature. Best of luck!
It's true, it wasn't until all these high tech tests came along that the push for more medications hit the U.S.
Medical industry doing what they do well.

My family lived long too and no dexa tests in their lives.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:17 AM

21,288 posts, read 19,922,969 times
I'll do my best Kara.....calcium 1000mg a day with vit D (most calcium contains D it seems). I take a multi vitamin Healthy Accent senior generic multi vitamin and 500 mg generic magnesium. Still researching the food but will post when I figure that part out......exercise, walking, and balance exercises. There are more but don't want to post the incorrect information so I will post that with the food later. So far this is what I know...

Old Today, 11:23 AM

10,731 posts, read 3,331,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'll do my best Kara.....calcium 1000mg a day with vit D (most calcium contains D it seems). I take a multi vitamin Healthy Accent senior generic multi vitamin and 500 mg generic magnesium. Still researching the food but will post when I figure that part out......exercise, walking, and balance exercises. There are more but don't want to post the incorrect information so I will post that with the food later. So far this is what I know...
Did your doctor test Vit D levels, those calcium tabs contain very little amounts of D. And it's reported that so much of the calcium being consumed goes into the blood stream and not the bones. This is why I take much more magnesium than calcium and much more Vit D3 and K2...I'm on top of the Vit D testing.

Old Today, 12:37 PM

767 posts, read 670,211 times
^^^^^This.

I was extremely low on D (can't remember the number and too lazy to go dig out the report) in spite of taking a multi-vitamin with D and a calcium supplement with D. Plus I was outdoors ALL day most days taking care of my livestock, pastures, and landscape all year long with plenty of exposed skin in nice weather. So much for the sun's contribution. I was still off-the-charts low. I was originally prescribed 1000mg of D daily which wasn't enough, as my follow-up tests showed only slightly improved levels. My total daily D supplement intake is now 3000mg which has kept me in normal range. We can all process things differently.

Don't forget about the National Osteoporosis Foundation's website (link posted in one of my earlier posts upthread). Lots of good nutritional and exercise info there.

Old Today, 01:01 PM

767 posts, read 670,211 times
Just thought of something - a word of caution. Be careful how you answer questions about your fracture history. When I went for my DEXA, the tech asked me if I'd ever broken a bone. I proudly said "Never, except for getting my finger smashed in a door when I was 20". Dumb thing for me to say, I now know. When the DEXA report came back, it said "history of fractures"! Arrgghhh. So now forevermore I'm a marked woman! It's going to come back to haunt me I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness