U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 AM

21,266 posts, read 19,893,472 times

Advertisements

I recently have been told I have osteoporosis and am very concerned about the medications offered to help the bone density, so if you have an opinion on what has worked well for you I would love for you to share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 09:08 AM

752 posts, read 666,041 times
I'm right on the borderline between osteopenia and osteoporosis and I'm really leery of any of the meds. I'm on the fence about what to do so I hope that you get some responses here too.

Have you checked out the National Osteoporosis Foundation's support group on Inspire.com? There are many extremely well-informed people, some of whom are professionals in the field, who post there with their thoughts and experiences. There is also a wealth of general information about the conditions and their management without getting overwhelming technical.

Here's a link to the website:
https://www.inspire.com/groups/natio...N9jig8O%2BTClg

At least that's a place to start. There's a lot to learn.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 AM

Thanks...you sound like me!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM

10,420 posts, read 3,260,817 times
I took a bone density test over 10 yrs ago in my late 60's and it showed osteopenia and I never did another bone density test and I'm 79. Take plenty of magnesium, you might want to do a search on Osteoporosis and magnesium....and working to get Vit D3 optimal along with K2. I'm fine for the most part and no broken bones...arthritis yes, but that's a 60+ yr issue for me. I've not heard great reports on the osteo drugs.

I would be searching for suggestions on this issue management.

I've heard about Weight bearing work yrs ago.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-30-2017 at 12:04 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 12:23 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,235,092 times
OP,

You have perfect timing - because I just got my DEXA scan results back a few days ago.

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 12 years ago and doctors pushed me into taking medication. Worst decision I ever made. I was on once a month Boniva for 4 1/2 years. No improvement in bone density and bone and muscle pain that got worse the longer I took it. Never again! The side effects far out weighted any of the expected benefits which never materialized.

It took almost a year after stopping the medication before the bone and muscle pain finally went away.

I get a DEXA scan every two years. My DEXA scan actually improved a little two years after stopping the medication. I began eating healthy by getting calcium from food (not pills) and taking vitamin D3. I was also exercising regularly. But, over time the bone density continued to slowly decrease with each scan.

Two years ago after my bone density scan I started a serious exercise program with the help of a trainer who not only developed an exercise program for me - but, also taught me what exercises I should not do. ( No bending forward - must maintain a neutral spine and no severe twisting).

With the 3 days a week exercise routine over two years - I regained the 1/2" of height I had lost due to osteoporosis. My muscle strength at 70 is much stronger than it ever had been in the past. Most important my balance and stability training. My balance has gone from poor balance to exceptional balance. (I had no idea how bad my balance was until my trainer asked me to stand on one foot for 60 seconds! Even though I had been walking 3 - 5 miles a day I could only balance on one leg for 3 seconds!)

I was really expecting to see an improvement on my DEXA scan after two years of strength training. Unfortunately, my most recent DEXA scan continued to show a slow decline in my bone density.

I have no intentions of going on any of the new osteoporosis medications, because, the percentage of people reporting severe bone and muscle pain is more than twice as high as it is with the medication I had been taking. I expect my body does not tolerate these medications and the risks of side effects would far out weight any increase in bone density.

If the goal is to reduce your risk of breaking a bone (and not just increasing your bone mineral density) I strongly recommend working with a personal trainer with a background in physical therapy who can make sure you know what exercises to do and which to avoid, with a heavy emphasis on balance and stability training. If you have great balance and strong muscles your risk of taking a fall and breaking a bone is greatly reduced.

I do know someone who is currently taking Prolia and she has had no side effects and her bone density has improved. She also works very hard at improving her balance. I will not even consider taking Prolia because of the number of people who have reported severe bone and muscle pain.

Whether you decide to take osteoporosis medication or not, I strongly recommend balance and stability exercises. Most trainers and instructors have no clue as to what exercises you should avoid if you have osteoporosis - so be sure you find someone that has a back ground in physical therapy to explain which exercises to avoid.

PS: As a reference point, 12 years ago my first scan showed my T score: spine -1.5, hip -2.8, femoral neck -2.7 and my most recent T score: spine -2.1, hip -2.7 and femoral neck -3.1.

Last edited by Mary2014; 12-30-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 12:31 PM

This is a wealth of information..thank you so much. I have nurse friends that are all for taking the medications but my little sister is a nutritionist and she is thinking more on the lines of eating better and taking vitamins. More my thinking. Boy am I glad a made this thread. Again thank you.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:49 PM

1,576 posts, read 452,620 times
I have heard very bad things about Boniva and wouldn't take it myself. There are bone-building exercises. I met a woman in her 60s at the ice skating rink who had a badly fractured ankle (both bones) and two years later was still crawling on hands and knees up the steps. Her doctor recommended exercise and she asked if she could skate and he said go for it. It did wonders for that ankle, and very likely a lot of the rest of her.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:56 PM

All of you that have taken the time to post I thank you so much. In my gut I know what I feel but when all around me in the "medical field" believe I should just do what my doctor says, well it causes me to question myself....Now I feel so much more confident in how and what I will respond to suggestions about medications. It is a relief.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 356,674 times
There is osteoporosis (little "o") that we all tend towards with age. Then there is Osteoporosis (capital "O") that is genetic and occurs at earlier ages. Either way, genetics has a lot to do with it.

This is one of the few problems that preventive steps really help: weight bearing exercise toughens our bones, but needs to be started early in life and continued, and increasing our dairy intake from early years and continued will prevent premature mineral loss. American intake of dairy products by adults is low and continues to go down as rates of osteoporosis continues to rise. Dairy is the only good dietary source of calcium.

Drugs for osteoporosis increase bone density, but don't put the calcium in the right places. The bone is harder, but brittle. Use of the drugs, if started early enough, can reduce the incidence of rib fractures and compression fractures of the vertebrae, but not in rate of hip fractures. Research also shows that taking them for more than a year or so doesn't help much beyond that first year.

Taking extra Ca & vit D doesn't actually help all that much-- the problem is that our bone metabolism changes as we age. We can't keep the minerals in as well and can't get it back in once we've lost it.

Balance training like Tai Chi is excellent for older folks and helps in preventing falls and injuries.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:41 PM

15,695 posts, read 14,881,170 times
I allergic to all dairy products so I have to depend upon calcium and magnesium supplements. They seem to be working but I haven't been tested in a few years. There's vitamin D in the calcium--I take Bone Up calcium supplement and it seems pretty good. I also take K2 to make sure the calcium goes into the bones--we had an entire thread on this and there is evidence to prove that it does the job. I was taking a cal/mag supplement from CVS before but it had too many other things in it and was messing with my B vitamin levels--that's what I think anyway--my new dr won't check vitamin levels!

A long time ago the dr put me on Fosamax and then it was recalled from the market. That's just another prescription that they gave to people only to find that it was damaging and then needed to be taken off the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness