U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:30 AM

791 posts, read 417,977 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your health concerns, but if it's any consolation, I just bought a house a few tenths of a mile away from busy railroad tracks and I personally love the sound, it soothes me. I hardly even hear it anymore and when I do it's relaxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 02:49 AM

436 posts, read 155,826 times
I grew up spending the night at my best friends house.
The trains would come by and her pictures would shake
Scared me at first
2-3 per night though I believe overall, there are less trains running now
Yet the house was probably just 5 car lengths from the tracks.
You would not have this issue

We lived a few miles from the RR Tracks and my Dad worked for Southern Pacific.
Never noticed them

1/4. mile is close enough to wake you up each time. Remember they always sound the horn.
1/2 mile is do-able. Though it might still wake you up yet you should be able to fall back asleep almost as fast as you woke up.
Certainly no danger to the heart

Stop at a neighbors to find out how often they go by in the day and evenings.
Preferably choose a few neighbors a little closer to the tracks to ask
Adding insulation might help too, or a wall placed on the bedroom side. Or both. Depending upon which direction the noise comes from.

Last edited by Cyclist1968; 01-09-2018 at 02:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 AM

15,580 posts, read 17,749,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Here comes an off-the-wall but I recently read that BP in folks goes up alot, if w/in a certain dist from trains.

It is obvious why this may be so, but anyone confirm an actual approx dist that is safe? I have no idea how to research this, as 2 homes we like are w/ in 1/4-1/2 mi from tracks, & thus will be rumble & loud affected.

My grandmothers house was across the road from a RR track. What happens is eventually you won't even notice the noise.

What I suggest is go park yourself in your car and spend as much time as you can at various hours day and night and see for yourself how much real noise will be coming from the RR trains.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:42 AM

3,839 posts, read 1,694,670 times
I worked ON the railroad for 37 years. I have probably heard and been closer to Trains more than most people who have lived. I am 67 years old and have no heart problems.......{to my knowledge}

Old 01-09-2018, 08:14 AM

10,113 posts, read 5,142,945 times
If you can walk to the train station and commute to your city job instead of driving in rush hour traffic, I'd think your blood pressure would go down between the reduced stress and exercise.

As was written, you eventually learn to filter out the noise. The same is true for living near an active fire station or on the approach to a major airport.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:24 AM

2,864 posts, read 2,087,977 times
We grew up living in the flight path of a busy airport and have lived and worked many years close to the railroad tracks in other states. It doesn't bother us at all. The train goes right through the center of our little town, so we all hear it.

It's life. The sounds of life don't bother us.

In one house, the coyotes would run along the tracks at night and catch prey.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:37 AM

7,719 posts, read 7,077,938 times
I live several blocks from a railroad crossing and there is nothing I love more than the sound of the train's horn. It's so romantic!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:41 PM

2,914 posts, read 1,040,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Sorry to hear about your health concerns, but if it's any consolation, I just bought a house a few tenths of a mile away from busy railroad tracks and I personally love the sound, it soothes me. I hardly even hear it anymore and when I do it's relaxing.
Funny you should say this. Train noise affects me the same way, probably due to good childhood memories. Our house wasn't right on the tracks, it didn't shake the house, and train noise wasn't a constant intrusion, but it was more of a special daily event. Taking a childhood trip by train was a thrill. Kids and trains....waving at the engineers, conductors, and passengers, wondering where the train was going and all the places it visited, watching the immense machinery go by, putting a penny on the tracks, all that stuff. When I lived close to train tracks as an adult it was still positive. Even when the train whistle woke me up in the middle of the night. It reminded me that I was home, snug in bed, and didn't have to get up for a few more hours instead of working outdoors in the ND winter cold. Once the daily schedule became predictable I hardly noticed it. Some aspects that might affect health differently would be unpredictable startling events and constant numbingly loud noise that masks other sound.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:17 PM

791 posts, read 417,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Funny you should say this. Train noise affects me the same way, probably due to good childhood memories. Our house wasn't right on the tracks, it didn't shake the house, and train noise wasn't a constant intrusion, but it was more of a special daily event. Taking a childhood trip by train was a thrill. Kids and trains....waving at the engineers, conductors, and passengers, wondering where the train was going and all the places it visited, watching the immense machinery go by, putting a penny on the tracks, all that stuff. When I lived close to train tracks as an adult it was still positive. Even when the train whistle woke me up in the middle of the night. It reminded me that I was home, snug in bed, and didn't have to get up for a few more hours instead of working outdoors in the ND winter cold. Once the daily schedule became predictable I hardly noticed it. Some aspects that might affect health differently would be unpredictable startling events and constant numbingly loud noise that masks other sound.

Nice story; I've never been on a traditional train ride but I would lovvvvve to someday before I get old. Get my own private compartment/sleeper and just enjoy for several days.

Yeah, like I said, I love the fact that we are close to the RR tracks. (Except when the train makes me late for work haha.) It's very soothing, and no, we don't get rattles or anything of the like. But it's a distant lovely background noise that soothes me. I wouldn't have it any other way. Didn't really think about it until the day we moved in last February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or