U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 3,559,421 times

Advertisements

Here comes an off-the-wall but I recently read that BP in folks goes up alot, if w/in a certain dist from trains.

It is obvious why this may be so, but anyone confirm an actual approx dist that is safe? I have no idea how to research this, as 2 homes we like are w/ in 1/4-1/2 mi from tracks, & thus will be rumble & loud affected.

Last edited by movintime; 01-08-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:55 PM

971 posts, read 457,082 times
You could get a decibel meter and use it near the two houses. Amazon sells them.

And here is a chart that shows what decibel levels affect health: https://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/harmf...topic-overview

Sound-proofing materials used inside each house may be different though, which would affect the indoor noise level from the trains.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
You could get a decibel meter and use it near the two houses. Amazon sells them.

And here is a chart that shows what decibel levels affect health: https://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/harmf...topic-overview

Sound-proofing materials used inside each house may be different though, which would affect the indoor noise level from the trains.
TY on this & will look into it.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM

4,878 posts, read 7,571,360 times
Both my wife and I live just a few yards from the railroad tracks. There's a crossing at a road nearby. When the trains go by heading into town, they blast the horn several times as a warning before crossing the road. Sometimes the horn goes off right behind our house, and sometimes slightly after they pass the house. Between the horn and the rumble of the train cars, it can get pretty noisy.

Both my wife and I have problems with irregular heartbeat. That said, the trains, albeit rather loud, don't have an effect on our heart problems. We do take medications to keep our health issues under control. We've lived here for nearly 30 years.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Both my wife and I live just a few yards from the railroad tracks. There's a crossing at a road nearby. When the trains go by heading into town, they blast the horn several times as a warning before crossing the road. Sometimes the horn goes off right behind our house, and sometimes slightly after they pass the house. Between the horn and the rumble of the train cars, it can get pretty noisy.

Both my wife and I have problems with irregular heartbeat. That said, the trains, albeit rather loud, don't have an effect on our heart problems. We do take medications to keep our health issues under control. We've lived here for nearly 30 years.
TY for this.

Do you think it contributed to your heart probs? I do very much wish you both luck & good health.

I worry re this as had no idea this related, but after somehow finding out & looking it up, was kind of discouraged. But as in your case, it may be a genetic issue more than the train issue.

Anyway, good info from you & hope others can add to this. It seems a good study for a Univ to do.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:37 PM

4,878 posts, read 7,571,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
TY for this.

Do you think it contributed to your heart probs? I do very much wish you both luck & good health.

I worry re this as had no idea this related, but after somehow finding out & looking it up, was kind of discouraged. But as in your case, it may be a genetic issue more than the train issue.

Anyway, good info from you & hope others can add to this. It seems a good study for a Univ to do.
No, I don't think the trains contributed to the problem of atrial fibrillation, although for some people if the noise causes enough stress, that might contribute to it. Nothing was pinned down for me as a specific cause, but there are a lot of things that can contribute.

In addition to the daily BP med, I now have to take a blood thinner (Warfarin) to avoid clotting which could cause a stroke. When it hit me, I spent a few days in the hospital's intensive care unit. That was pretty boring and I wanted nothing more than to get out and go home. Generally, I'm doing okay, because of the meds and because of changes in my diet and lifestyle. It may be that I'll never have another atrial defib again, but I'm doing whatever I can to avoid that from happening.

If you're concerned about your blood pressure, stresses, or other concerns, if you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend seeing your PCP for a checkup.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350624

Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 PM

2,626 posts, read 949,471 times
I lived half a block from the elevated subway track , part on NYC transits system for most of my life. I could tell you that unless I was thinking of taking the train, I rarely notice it go by.

A bigger stressor of having a train close by may be the added congestion, or more Urban enviorment being next to a transit station.

I also lived near the freight trains for a few years, the occasional whistle or rumble in the middle of the night was barely noticeable.

There are other factors that mare trigger high BP, like being over weight, not excercising, salty or fatty fried foods.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:27 PM

10,857 posts, read 6,359,431 times
I admit to being a lifelong railroad buff, and have lived within fifty yards of two very active (average thirty trains daily) highway crossings in the center of communities with a population of 2-3000 for most of the last twelve years. Sounding warnings on the locomotives' air horns is mandated by state law. It's been my experience that most people learn to simply "tune out' crossing noise after a few days.

But at any rate, I'm posting a link to one of the sites geared toward the nation's 100,000 railroad buffs, and have posted similar link to this forum;

The Public "Sounds Off"' on Grade-Crossing Noise - Trains Magazine - Trains News Wire, Railroad News, Railroad Industry News, Web Cams, and Forums

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-08-2018 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 08:37 PM

2,151 posts, read 715,317 times
The last two places I've lived have been within hearing distance of trains and I find it doesn't bother me. I'm not woken if I'm sleeping, and if I hear it while awake, I kind of like it. I have low bp, always have had.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 PM

37,950 posts, read 43,288,184 times
It's like living with airplanes flying overhead, after awhile you get so used to it and you just don't notice them anymore.
We live 1/2 mile from train tracks and have Air Force planes flying overhead quite often. Never notice them anymore. My wife has A-fib and I have a heart condition and after 15 years living in this spot we haven't had any health problems related to trains or planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or