Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:04 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seriously?

An Australian website that SELLS the supplement?

Here is information from an actual STUDY, one of the largest of its kind for any supplement specifically looking at Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Knee Arthritis in the GAIT study

What about the claim that these supplements slow or prevent the deterioration of joint-cushioning cartilage that is the hallmark of arthritis? In a 2008 follow-up GAIT study, participants continued treatment for an extra 18 months and had X-ray exams (before and after) to measure their cartilage. There were no significant differences in cartilage loss between the groups. Interestingly, glucosamine and chondroitin did worse when taken together than each alone, but nothing worked much better than the placebo.
Glucosamine for Arthritis: Yes, No, Maybe? | Berkeley Wellness

Again, NO objective evidence that glucosamine rebuilds cartilage....
Yes, of course, people in Australia deal with joint issues too. U.S. isn't the only country.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes, of course, people in Australia deal with joint issues too. U.S. isn't the only country.
What does that have to with the fact that Your “link” is an advertisement from a company that sells glucosamine? Of course they are going to promise it does things they can’t prove....that’s what supplement sellers do.

You have proven nothing

The GAIT study however is pretty conclusive that glucosamine doesn’t do what you think it does

Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What does that have to with the fact that Your “link” is an advertisement from a company that sells glucosamine? Of course they are going to promise it does things they can’t prove....that’s what supplement sellers do.

You have proven nothing

The GAIT study however is pretty conclusive that glucosamine doesn’t do what you think it does
About every site I've looked at that sells glucosamine makes the same comments. I guess they KNOW NOTHING.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20058430

And we all know there are NO absolutes on anything...I can name a few but I'll not comment.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
I had one done in Dec '16. I had no walker or cane within a week. It was an anterior approach. No muscles were cut. I was actually able to walk (with a walker) as soon as the anesthesia wore off completely. Both hips were bone on bone but they did the worse one and decided to put off the other one until later. 13 months later I am walking just fine but still get low back ache if I stand in one spot too long.

I'm not sure if she's a candidate for anterior approach, but if she is and her ortho guy does a lot of those I'd choose that. Cut muscles can take a long time to heal and sometimes they don't heal just right.

It's still early! Recovery from these things can take 6 months sometimes longer. It is possible the worse hip is being favored hence her incapacity. Hard to tell at this point.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
About every site I've looked at that sells glucosamine makes the same comments. I guess they KNOW NOTHING.

And we all know there are NO absolutes on anything...I can name a few but I'll not comment.
Does it say anywhere in the comment you just linked that glucosamine rebuilds cartilage?

NO

Again, reading what you link can be useful

Old 01-10-2018, 05:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:

You're not getting it - they are SELLING the drug...and they are giving the opinion that the drug works...with nothing other than their word that it works. But they stand to BENEFIT from the sales...so they are BIASED - ALL those sites that are making money from it.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:

They know one thing for sure: They make money selling the stuff. That's why they do it. Whether it works or not isn't important to them. Claiming it works and making money off of people who believe them is all they care about.

Astonishing you can't see the profit motive.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
They know one thing for sure: They make money selling the stuff. That's why they do it. Whether it works or not isn't important to them. Claiming it works and making money off of people who believe them is all they care about.

OP is exactly the customer they spew this crap for...

If it's on the internet, it must be true!

And lmao @ the neighbor getting an update thread. We were all on the edge of our seats.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I had one done in Dec '16. I had no walker or cane within a week. It was an anterior approach. No muscles were cut. I was actually able to walk (with a walker) as soon as the anesthesia wore off completely. Both hips were bone on bone but they did the worse one and decided to put off the other one until later. 13 months later I am walking just fine but still get low back ache if I stand in one spot too long.

I'm not sure if she's a candidate for anterior approach, but if she is and her ortho guy does a lot of those I'd choose that. Cut muscles can take a long time to heal and sometimes they don't heal just right.

It's still early! Recovery from these things can take 6 months sometimes longer. It is possible the worse hip is being favored hence her incapacity. Hard to tell at this point.
My neighbor's first one done was anterior, and as I said the surgeon did the one that was NOT as bad as the other one. She's having the 2nd one done soon and it's anterior. What his theory was in what he did, I don't get but I'm not the surgeon.

I had anterior in 2010, great recovery, no walker, a cane a little bit but in 5 months things went downhill for me...femoral nerve damage reared it's ugly head, IT band damage and shorter leg. So groin pain is gone but surgery complications I'm left with. This femoral nerve damage is a known it's printed with the Anterior approach. Didn't realize my leg was shorter for months. A podiatrist found that issue.

I deal with DDD back issues for most of my life.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

Millions of people use it, vets recommend it for pets..it's given to horses. So it must be terrible stuff.

My good friend died at 95 and walked blocks weeks before her heart quit...she took this JUNK for 25 yrs and claims FOR HER, it kept her walking. Thanks for all the naysayers comments...keeps things kinda balanced doesn't it.

Oh and Pharma doesn't see profit motives.

I'm sticking with it this time, as I'll do all possible to stay away from the knife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness