U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
16,214 posts, read 5,113,094 times
Reputation: 11091

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You're not getting it - they are SELLING the drug...and they are giving the opinion that the drug works...with nothing other than their word that it works. But they stand to BENEFIT from the sales...so they are BIASED - ALL those sites that are making money from it.
Why can't they sell their drugs, no one questions pharma drug sales, do they. Bottom line, there will always be HERE, those who are so against anything but pharma drugs.

 
Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 AM
 
5,347 posts, read 3,948,286 times
Reputation: 11476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Millions of people use it, vets recommend it for pets..it's given to horses. So it must be terrible stuff.

My good friend died at 95 and walked blocks weeks before her heart quit...she took this JUNK for 25 yrs and claims FOR HER, it kept her walking. Thanks for all the naysayers comments...keeps things kinda balanced doesn't it.

Oh and Pharma doesn't see profit motives.

I'm sticking with it this time, as I'll do all possible to stay away from the knife.
Well, if HORSES take it it must be good. LOL.

And of course Pharma has a profit motive. You see that and yet fail to see that supplement companies have the same profit motive. They also sell stuff based on unproven claims of efficacy. You do whatever you want, but I'm not throwing my money away on unproven remedies or based on anecdotal claims by your friend. I'll stick with science.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Status: "TRUMP 4 THE WIN......Trump onto Mt Rushmore, NOW!" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: USA, love-it or leave-it Baby!!!!
14,450 posts, read 14,574,511 times
Reputation: 10059
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, I was on so many forums after my hip replacement, if I had a good outcome, surely I would NOT have spent so much time trying to get answers as to why, since I surely didn't get them from surgeon's office.

I'm working to save myself from knee replacement and do bend my knee which one MD says if one can BEND, there is cartlidge there. I'm into my 3rd month on Cosamin DS to help rebuild cartlidge...every little bit helps I hope. Surgery is NOT on my "to do list".


Glad the Cosamin is working for you. I tried various brands of glucosamine/chondroitin, none of them helped.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
16,214 posts, read 5,113,094 times
Reputation: 11091
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Glad the Cosamin is working for you. I tried various brands of glucosamine/chondroitin, none of them helped.
I'm sticking with it this time, when I've taken it over the years it was off and on. Now my knee is pretty nasty and I don't want to go under the knife. So I have to believe in something...this product and company has a lot of positive reviews.. Another friend takes it and both here knees are giving her issues.

A friend I knew 10+ yrs ago was taking it and I didn't listen to her. So that's where I am.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
16,214 posts, read 5,113,094 times
Reputation: 11091
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Well, if HORSES take it it must be good. LOL.

And of course Pharma has a profit motive. You see that and yet fail to see that supplement companies have the same profit motive. They also sell stuff based on unproven claims of efficacy. You do whatever you want, but I'm not throwing my money away on unproven remedies or based on anecdotal claims by your friend. I'll stick with science.
Everyone has profit motives, I KNOW THAT. To pick on the supplement companies and the profits, it's like they should NOT be in business to make profits.

And horses joints take a beating, race horses for sure. There are many lines of glucosamine given to animals. Seems to surprise you.


Oh, and I started seeing an ortho MD for my knee about 20 yrs ago and he went thru his normal procedures, draining the knee, prescribing HA injections which I jumped and did them 2 different sessions over some yrs. Well, in his lobby he had bottles of glucosamine products that he sold.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM
 
5,347 posts, read 3,948,286 times
Reputation: 11476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Everyone has profit motives, I KNOW THAT. To pick on the supplement companies and the profits, it's like they should NOT be in business to make profits.

And horses joints take a beating, race horses for sure. There are many lines of glucosamine given to animals. Seems to surprise you.


Oh, and I started seeing an ortho MD for my knee about 20 yrs ago and he went thru his normal procedures, draining the knee, prescribing HA injections which I jumped and did them 2 different sessions over some yrs. Well, in his lobby he had bottles of glucosamine products that he sold.

I would have walked out of his office and found another doc. Shame on him for trying to profit off his patients by selling something shown to not be efficacious. I find that behavior abhorrent whether from an MD or a supplement company. Selling snake oil is wrong regardless of who is doing the selling.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
16,214 posts, read 5,113,094 times
Reputation: 11091
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I would have walked out of his office and found another doc. Shame on him for trying to profit off his patients by selling something shown to not be efficacious. I find that behavior abhorrent whether from an MD or a supplement company. Selling snake oil is wrong regardless of who is doing the selling.
You have no idea about the efficacious of products. He's a fine surgeon and IF I ever decide on the knee I would be going to him, unless he's retired.

So many have one track minds.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 11:27 AM
 
5,347 posts, read 3,948,286 times
Reputation: 11476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You have no idea about the efficacious of products. He's a fine surgeon and IF I ever decide on the knee I would be going to him, unless he's retired.

So many have one track minds.

And you do? You base your use of Cosamin DS on the claims found on websites that SELL it! Or on anecdotal evidence from friends. That's certainly not proof of efficacy.


Glucosamine does NOT rebuild cartilage. Actual scientific studies have been done that prove that, but you refuse to read them. They have shown that glucosamine does not do what the websites claim. But, go right ahead and waste your money. You're the reason the supplement industry thrives. People who accept BS as fact because they believe they "know" what works.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
16,214 posts, read 5,113,094 times
Reputation: 11091
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And you do? You base your use of Cosamin DS on the claims found on websites that SELL it! Or on anecdotal evidence from friends. That's certainly not proof of efficacy.


Glucosamine does NOT rebuild cartilage. Actual scientific studies have been done that prove that, but you refuse to read them. They have shown that glucosamine does not do what the websites claim. But, go right ahead and waste your money. You're the reason the supplement industry thrives. People who accept BS as fact because they believe they "know" what works.

I base my INFO on friend's use and that's good for me. Plus the glucosamine products have been around for decades. If they were so horrid, you think they would be so popular? It's staying with them that could be the answer...so many start and stop and that was me for years.


And I do read other's reviews, it's a big world and lots of people using it...many like me are not gunhoe to run to have their knees replaced.

I'm glad to see that so many have the FOR SURE answers. Good for you all.

Yeah, the supplement industry thrives on me....thank goodness for the huge industry it is.

My mother started with Prevention back when she was in her 80's as she was not running to surgeries plus they didn't do them back then like they do today. She lived into 90's..and was walking fairly well.

No more comments from me on this. I may mention my neighbor again once the other hip is done. Maybe no...since I'm so welcomed here.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Orange County
1,572 posts, read 1,681,600 times
Reputation: 1270
I will say that the glucosamine blend that you are taking is a little overpriced. You can find a lot better deals if you shop around and look at the bottle ingredients.
The glucosamine is know more for lubrication that rebuilding cartilage. Lots of these vitamin companies stretch the truth.


If this is working for you just keep taking it.


I have issues with my knees and hips and have been taking vitamins for years which seems to have helped a lot.


Besides the glucosamine I also take
Turmeric/curcumin for anti-inflammatory/pain
collagen for cartilage
hyaluronic acid for lubricant
fish oil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top