U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,946,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
How could anyone have the temerity to question "Mr. Vitamins" ?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:31 PM

18,553 posts, read 6,037,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I will say that the glucosamine blend that you are taking is a little overpriced. You can find a lot better deals if you shop around and look at the bottle ingredients.
The glucosamine is know more for lubrication that rebuilding cartilage. Lots of these vitamin companies stretch the truth.

If this is working for you just keep taking it.

I have issues with my knees and hips and have been taking vitamins for years which seems to have helped a lot.

Besides the glucosamine I also take
Turmeric/curcumin for anti-inflammatory/pain
collagen for cartilage
hyaluronic acid for lubricant
fish oil
It's the quality of this product that I'm trusting. Nutramax the U.S. manufacturer.

I pay under $20 for 5 weeks supply, 3 per day. To me this is inexpensive ... and if I can keeping going and I will not get younger, it's all worth it.

I've taken all the other ones you mention but NOW am off them all but Omega 3's....and concentrating on the Cosamin DS.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-10-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 02:26 PM

9,282 posts, read 16,084,674 times
I have congenital hip dysplasia.... underwent weeks of traction and months of casting and bracing to get my hips back in sockets when I was an infant.....

Underwent a periacetabular osteotomy on my right hip at age 44 in 2004..... and back in the hospital with a serious MRSA infection in that hip less than a week after coming home..... THAT was worse than the initial surgery..... but that hip has been just fine ever since

Underwent total hip replacement, (lateral procedure) this past April, at nearly 57 years of age, and almost feel guilty how quickly I sailed through the recovery process..... Bonus points for resolution of the knee pain on that side that I had been dealing with for over 20 years and through two surgeries.... my biggest issue was fatigue while recuperating.....

I guess we just hear more about people UNHAPPY with their surgery results, when there are MANY of us out there who are delighted with theirs and can't believe they waited so long to do it.....

Quote:
Millions of people use it, vets recommend it for pets..it's given to horses. So it must be terrible stuff.

My good friend died at 95 and walked blocks weeks before her heart quit...she took this JUNK for 25 yrs and claims FOR HER, it kept her walking. Thanks for all the naysayers comments...keeps things kinda balanced doesn't it.

Oh and Pharma doesn't see profit motives.

I'm sticking with it this time, as I'll do all possible to stay away from the knife.
I tried that stuff, too and it did not a thing for me..... tried it for my dog, as well, and it did nothing for her arthritic knees and really just cause gastric issues for her.......

I tend to put my faith in peer-reviewed, scientific studies rather than websites that stand to profit from good reviews........

Old 01-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I have congenital hip dysplasia.... underwent weeks of traction and months of casting and bracing to get my hips back in sockets when I was an infant.....

Underwent a periacetabular osteotomy on my right hip at age 44 in 2004..... and back in the hospital with a serious MRSA infection in that hip less than a week after coming home..... THAT was worse than the initial surgery..... but that hip has been just fine ever since

Underwent total hip replacement, (lateral procedure) this past April, at nearly 57 years of age, and almost feel guilty how quickly I sailed through the recovery process..... Bonus points for resolution of the knee pain on that side that I had been dealing with for over 20 years and through two surgeries.... my biggest issue was fatigue while recuperating.....

I guess we just hear more about people UNHAPPY with their surgery results, when there are MANY of us out there who are delighted with theirs and can't believe they waited so long to do it.....

I tried that stuff, too and it did not a thing for me..... tried it for my dog, as well, and it did nothing for her arthritic knees and really just cause gastric issues for her.......

I tend to put my faith in peer-reviewed, scientific studies rather than websites that stand to profit from good reviews........
So you worked with the actual Cosamin DS brand and how long did you take it? Weeks, months, years...

All the science info is backed by it's specific funding agencies.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:45 PM

3,961 posts, read 2,948,328 times
There is some evidence that glucosamine sulfate relieves arthritis pain in humans. In horses, there is some evidence that glucosamine sulfate administered preventively may promote continued joint health, i.e. have some protective effect.

There is zero evidence that it rebuilds already lost cartilage despite many studies attempting to demonstrate that it's possible. It's wishful thinking. Several supplement companies have had to pay fines and lawsuit fees for misleading advertising when they came too close to making this claim.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:18 PM

4,611 posts, read 10,468,979 times
Quote:
So you worked with the actual Cosamin DS brand and how long did you take it? Weeks, months, years...

All the science info is backed by it's specific funding agencies.
Really?? So who benefited from the GAIT study, an actual study designed SPECIFICALLY to look at glucosamine chondroitin and knee arthritis...

The Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT) was a large, randomized, placebo-controlled trial conducted at several sites across the United States. The GAIT team, funded by NCCAM and the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, actually conducted two studies:

a primary, or original, study that investigated whether glucosamine and/or chondroitin could treat the pain of knee osteoarthritis.
an ancillary, or additional, study that investigated whether the dietary supplements could diminish the structural damage of knee osteoarthritis.

https://nccih.nih.gov/research/results/gait

NCCAM stands for National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine

What did a Center that exists to PROMOTE alternative medicine have to gain by proving that a widely used ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT doesn't actually work???

That's right....they had NOTHING to GAIN but they still reported the FACTS

Imagine if ALL aspects of Alternative medicine underwent rigorous study??

Old 01-10-2018, 03:41 PM

4,010 posts, read 1,685,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
How could anyone have the temerity to question "Mr. Vitamins" ?
BWAHAHAHAHA.

Mr. Vitamins knows all.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:46 PM

19,616 posts, read 53,341,665 times
Back to the original question. My daughter had her hip replaced about 10-12 yrs ago qhen she was in her early 40s. Lateral approach. Great result. She followed her doc's instructions to the letter.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Back to the original question. My daughter had her hip replaced about 10-12 yrs ago qhen she was in her early 40s. Lateral approach. Great result. She followed her doc's instructions to the letter.
Well, could be the younger the better outcomes. Historically speaking, replacements were for the older crowd but I read so many young people getting them. I was no where near this surgery in my 40's., my hip started giving me problems at about 70, replacement at 72. As I said lots of complications from the newer type Anterior approach. I know them as Posterior thru the backside and Anterior thru the front of thigh. I don't know where the Lateral is. Surgery I guess laterally but is it front or back. Mine is anterior lateral.

Those who go thru them rather young, could end up with revisions down the road...that's what I've read about these.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-10-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 AM

3,965 posts, read 1,751,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seriously? An Australian website that SELLS the supplement? Again, NO objective evidence that glucosamine rebuilds cartilage....
Quote:
Yes, of course, people in Australia deal with joint issues too. U.S. isn't the only country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What does that have to with the fact that Your “link” is an advertisement from a company that sells glucosamine? Of course they are going to promise it does things they can’t prove....that’s what supplement sellers do. You have proven nothing
Quote:
Everyone has profit motives, I KNOW THAT. To pick on the supplement companies and the profits, it's like they should NOT be in business to make profits..
Jam; I think what he means is that he finds the actual published medical research articles to have more validity, over a consumer targeting advertisement. Such as:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15005002

... Published in 2001 in the Journal of Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology; which found that Osteoarthritis patients with high cartilage turnover (meaning; patients who's cartilage loss can be detected by urinalysis), actually do respond well to Glucosamine.

Or; this one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25096309

... Published in the Journal of Back & Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation in 2015; that found that Glucosamine works best for treating the symptoms of patients with knee osteoarthritis when combined with exercise therapy.

Quote:
And horses joints take a beating, race horses for sure. There are many lines of glucosamine given to animals. Seems to surprise you.
You know; there was a time when doctors knew that the practice of Veterinary medicine was frequently on a par with & sometimes more advanced than; the practice of medicine for humans. You know why?

Animals = $$$. They always have. Ranchers have all their $$; tied up in animals & they will not accept substandard care that would lead to sick, disabled or infertile animals. In fact, In 2010, The World Organization for Animal Health and the World Health Organization (WHO) acknowledged the importance of building a global veterinary infrastructure.

It's been predicted that by 2030, there will be a 560% increase in consumption of meat & a 430% increase in milk consumption & 70% of the emerging infectious diseases in humans are zoonotic, including H5N1 avian influenza, West Nile virus, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and Monkeypox & the WHO, states this is in part due to a lack of coordination between human and veterinary public health services.

There are many pharmaceuticals approved for use in both animals & humans (not that humans aren't animals), including antihistamines, antibiotics, antiseizure medications, blood-pressure medications, bronchodilators, diuretics, steroids & anesthetics.

We like to say that we don’t develop any drugs for pets that have not already been tested in people.”
Richard Chin, CEO of KindredBio (animal therapeutics company).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or