U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
11,032 posts, read 3,400,939 times
Reputation: 7845

Advertisements

coschristi

Your comments on animals and the farmers spending $$ to take care of them. This info reminds me of Dr. Joel Wallach who started out in Vetinary Med and then got more certification in ND. He's been around a long time and I hear him on coast to coast a lot and he makes a lot of sense.

Vets recommend glucosamine and Grape Seed Ex, believe it or not, for animals. My neighbor's cat got an extra year when dx'd with cancer after she put him on grape seed ex. She said he was like a younger cat for that year.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,035 posts, read 15,190,500 times
Reputation: 10429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So you worked with the actual Cosamin DS brand and how long did you take it? Weeks, months, years...

All the science info is backed by it's specific funding agencies.

Its been 15 or more years since I tried it for me for about 3-4 months..... so I have no idea what brand it was......

Its been 6 or 7 years since I tried it for my dog for less than a month because of the gastro issues it caused her...... again, no idea what brand it was.....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
11,032 posts, read 3,400,939 times
Reputation: 7845
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Its been 15 or more years since I tried it for me for about 3-4 months..... so I have no idea what brand it was......

Its been 6 or 7 years since I tried it for my dog for less than a month because of the gastro issues it caused her...... again, no idea what brand it was.....
Your history sounds like the way I used to do it. But now I'm sticking with the brand I talk about and plan to stick with it for who knows how long. I'm trying to save my joints and keep walking.

Manganese and Vit C are in the product I use and these two are not added to many brands. Manganese is a mineral need for joint health. Plus I do use more Vit C daily.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
65,816 posts, read 74,134,095 times
Reputation: 34667
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UCK, I have so-called bad-knees.....cartilage is gone, but I can walk fine and they usually do not hurt.

Think I will try to grit-it-out until the "end" with my original equipment.....these joint-replacement stories don't give me a lot of confidence in the procedure.
If they do not hurt and you can do everything you could do before the cartilage was gone I agree, why put yourself through the surgery even though it really isn't all that bad. I love what my orthopedist told me: knee replacement is always elective surgery. When you are ready you will know it. I did do the shots and a few other things for a few years. Finally I had my left one replaced. I have never regretted it, but even then, once in awhile it still gives me a little discomfort. My right knee hurts some, certainly, like you, I am going to try and keep the one God gave me for the rest of my life.

Now, as for the joint replacement stories: remember you are nor often going to see and hear the bad results than the good ones. I know so many who have had replacements and only a few, have had regrets. Don't put too much into what you read here. It is always easier to tell the negative stories. Remember we rarely talk about good results, whether it is a medical issue, good restaurants, good vacations, etc. We expect things to be good, It is when they don't go well we start to let the world know.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
11,032 posts, read 3,400,939 times
Reputation: 7845
It's very true, it's all elective unless an emergency.

Here are some comments from a blog on "arthritis still being there once TKR is done"..

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...ter-tkr.16100/

These are pretty invasive surgeries and be prepared for outcome. Great if it's the best outcome. I know I can walk now and bend knee and how much better I can be will be a real stretch and I have fear. If my THR had been so much better, the fear probably would not be there.

Knee supports are also my best friends for support and I do quad and ligament exercises. The last incident I went thru with staph infection really knocked me out and right knee rather deformed.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-13-2018 at 11:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 02:03 PM
 
4,043 posts, read 9,776,418 times
Reputation: 7836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's very true, it's all elective unless an emergency.

Here are some comments from a blog on "arthritis still being there once TKR is done"..

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...ter-tkr.16100/

These are pretty invasive surgeries and be prepared for outcome. Great if it's the best outcome. I know I can walk now and bend knee and how much better I can be will be a real stretch and I have fear. If my THR had been so much better, the fear probably would not be there.

Knee supports are also my best friends for support and I do quad and ligament exercises. The last incident I went thru with staph infection really knocked me out and right knee rather deformed.
Your "blog writer" is misinformed.

Arthritis isn't "still there" after a TKR is done, it isn't "hiding out in the bones" as she wrote

When a joint is "replaced" the arthritis is GONE. The artificial joint can't "get arthritis"

As for a joint still being "stiff" after knee replacement surgery every Orthopaedist knows this and tells their patients in advance of surgery, knee replacements are done for pain. While most patients will see SOME improvements in range of motion after replacement, the worse the motion is going into surgery the worse it will be coming out of surgery.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 02:42 PM
 
Location: on the wind
1,355 posts, read 441,678 times
Reputation: 5110
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Your "blog writer" is misinformed.

Arthritis isn't "still there" after a TKR is done, it isn't "hiding out in the bones" as she wrote

When a joint is "replaced" the arthritis is GONE. The artificial joint can't "get arthritis"
Sigh. Maybe its a special "organic all natural" brand of titanium.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
11,032 posts, read 3,400,939 times
Reputation: 7845
A newsflash on the push for PT and replacement surgeries. Talking to a friend yesterday and she is 4 months post op with shoulder replacement and her doc just started her on aggressive PT work at home. It seems there is a new theory on pushing the patient too soon and too fast after these replacements. Too much PT, too fast can cause PERHAPS more injuries to the area. Maybe not for all, but just thinkin.

Also brings me to the PT push while I was in the rehabs and this was all before the infection was known, I kept thinking as PT people kept saying "no pain, no gain", "push thru the pain"... was this all truth to push harder.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
 
4,043 posts, read 9,776,418 times
Reputation: 7836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A newsflash on the push for PT and replacement surgeries. Talking to a friend yesterday and she is 4 months post op with shoulder replacement and her doc just started her on aggressive PT work at home. It seems there is a new theory on pushing the patient too soon and too fast after these replacements. Too much PT, too fast can cause PERHAPS more injuries to the area. Maybe not for all, but just thinkin.

Also brings me to the PT push while I was in the rehabs and this was all before the infection was known, I kept thinking as PT people kept saying "no pain, no gain", "push thru the pain"... was this all truth to push harder.
A single "friend's" timing for beginning PT after shoulder arthroplasty ( which is SIGNIFICANTLY different from hip or knee arthroplasty) does not constitute a "news flash" nor does it indicate any new "theories" about timing for rehab...

Orthopaedics for DECADES now has been all about EARLY range of motion after injury or surgery.

THAT is not about to change because we have the data on how things worked out before when joints were immobilized for far too long resulting in significant morbidity
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
11,032 posts, read 3,400,939 times
Reputation: 7845
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
A single "friend's" timing for beginning PT after shoulder arthroplasty ( which is SIGNIFICANTLY different from hip or knee arthroplasty) does not constitute a "news flash" nor does it indicate any new "theories" about timing for rehab...

Orthopaedics for DECADES now has been all about EARLY range of motion after injury or surgery.

THAT is not about to change because we have the data on how things worked out before when joints were immobilized for far too long resulting in significant morbidity
What I post is from my mind ... I'm living and learning. I was NOT born knowing it all.

What I posted was a news flash for me, as I was pushed so hard by PT's.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top