U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 06:30 PM

14,419 posts, read 4,363,855 times

Advertisements

Well, the neighbor still is not walking still getting around on rollater..Her hip was replaced on 12/1/17.

She saw the surgeon the other day and turns out he replaced the better of the two arthritic hips, now she has agreed to the really bad hip to be replaced on 1/19/18. So that will be two replacements in about a 7 week span. So now we'll see if doing the really bad hip has her walking.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:55 PM

19,813 posts, read 24,291,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, the neighbor still is not walking still getting around on rollater..Her hip was replaced on 12/1/17.

She saw the surgeon the other day and turns out he replaced the better of the two arthritic hips, now she has agreed to the really bad hip to be replaced on 1/19/18. So that will be two replacements in about a 7 week span. So now we'll see if doing the really bad hip has her walking.
Is she in a wheelchair? You have to walk to push a rollator.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Is she in a wheelchair? You have to walk to push a rollator.
She's sitting in rollater and pushing herself around and I guess she sometimes gets up with holding on rollater to do some stuff she has to do. Like going to bathroom, getting into bed, and doing stuff in general. No wheelchair.

Our mutual friend had a replacement in 2010, same yr as me, and then a 2nd one last yr. She's 91 soon. She uses rollater too but says she walks short distances in her apt.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-08-2018 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 AM

13,942 posts, read 14,104,229 times
UCK, I have so-called bad-knees.....cartilage is gone, but I can walk fine and they usually do not hurt.

Think I will try to grit-it-out until the "end" with my original equipment.....these joint-replacement stories don't give me a lot of confidence in the procedure.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UCK, I have so-called bad-knees.....cartilage is gone, but I can walk fine and they usually do not hurt.

Think I will try to grit-it-out until the "end" with my original equipment.....these joint-replacement stories don't give me a lot of confidence in the procedure.
Oh, I was on so many forums after my hip replacement, if I had a good outcome, surely I would NOT have spent so much time trying to get answers as to why, since I surely didn't get them from surgeon's office.

I'm working to save myself from knee replacement and do bend my knee which one MD says if one can BEND, there is cartlidge there. I'm into my 3rd month on Cosamin DS to help rebuild cartlidge...every little bit helps I hope. Surgery is NOT on my "to do list".

Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM

2,302 posts, read 776,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

Don't blame you about knees...its a more complicated weaker joint to mess with. However, as one of those people who had an early hip replacement I can attest to having no trouble with the procedure or the outcome at all. It took place almost 20 years ago. Best bodily "repair" I ever did. So much depends on your overall health, the orthopedic condition of the joint itself, your surgeon, how well you followed the recommendations given, and a bit of plain old good fortune. Some aspects of any surgery are beyond anyone's control. I think we tend to forget that. When we are disappointed in the results we spend a lot of energy searching for a place to lay the blame.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:01 PM

4,199 posts, read 10,005,563 times
Quote:
Oh, I was on so many forums after my hip replacement, if I had a good outcome, surely I would NOT have spent so much time trying to get answers as to why, since I surely didn't get them from surgeon's office.

I'm working to save myself from knee replacement and do bend my knee which one MD says if one can BEND, there is cartlidge there. I'm into my 3rd month on Cosamin DS to help rebuild cartlidge...every little bit helps I hope. Surgery is NOT on my "to do list".
1. Knees will still bend even if there is bone on bone NO cartilage

2. Glucosamine does NOT rebuild cartilage

Old 01-09-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Don't blame you about knees...its a more complicated weaker joint to mess with. However, as one of those people who had an early hip replacement I can attest to having no trouble with the procedure or the outcome at all. It took place almost 20 years ago. Best bodily "repair" I ever did. So much depends on your overall health, the orthopedic condition of the joint itself, your surgeon, how well you followed the recommendations given, and a bit of plain old good fortune. Some aspects of any surgery are beyond anyone's control. I think we tend to forget that. When we are disappointed in the results we spend a lot of energy searching for a place to lay the blame.
So you had a hip replacement almost 20 yrs ago. So were you about 40 or so..I don't know your age.

Could be the younger one has one the better the outcome. Mine was at 72 and my hip didn't really start bothering me until about 70 or so, and I kept putting off going to ortho surgeon. I finally went when the hip pain was waking me up at night. Groin was very heavily damaged with arthritis.

As for laying blame, I put trust in the surgeon's hands/knowledge and came out with 3 major complications...I've mentioned them. 7 yrs later still there and often worse.

Who else is to blame for the outcome, ourselves? The doctors are the skilled ones in this work.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. Knees will still bend even if there is bone on bone NO cartilage

2. Glucosamine does NOT rebuild cartilage
What one link says:

https://www.mrvitamins.com.au/news/a...ild-cartilage/

Old 01-09-2018, 05:51 PM

4,199 posts, read 10,005,563 times
Quote:
Seriously?

An Australian website that SELLS the supplement?

Here is information from an actual STUDY, one of the largest of its kind for any supplement specifically looking at Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Knee Arthritis in the GAIT study

What about the claim that these supplements slow or prevent the deterioration of joint-cushioning cartilage that is the hallmark of arthritis? In a 2008 follow-up GAIT study, participants continued treatment for an extra 18 months and had X-ray exams (before and after) to measure their cartilage. There were no significant differences in cartilage loss between the groups. Interestingly, glucosamine and chondroitin did worse when taken together than each alone, but nothing worked much better than the placebo.
Glucosamine for Arthritis: Yes, No, Maybe? | Berkeley Wellness

Again, NO objective evidence that glucosamine rebuilds cartilage....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or