U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:04 PM

4,485 posts, read 7,541,780 times

Advertisements

I lived in my apt for 4.5 yrs when I developed a sudden respiratory issue, which was later diagnosed to be allergic asthma. Before that, I lived just 15 min away so in the same city in a single family home & never had any respiratory issue/allergies/sinus problem then.

Could something in this apt have caused this? I don't think I get as much air circulation/ventilation as I did before I moved here, so maybe I've been gradually breathing in more dust since this is a smaller space (from a 1300+ sq ft 2-story home to a 700 sq ft apt) & 4.5 yrs seems about right for a condition to develop. I didn't have mold in the apt I know that. I checked. Now I don't think anyone around me smoked in which some smoke could have subtly come in through the vents into my place. I never smelled cigarette smoke.

I haven't felt back to normal since the 1st few wks in Jan. of 2017 & still don't now. I notice if I've been out for a good amount of hrs, I feel better because I've been outdoors in the fresh air. But every time I come back home (to my apt), I open the windows & sometimes put on the ceiling fans & I turn on my air purifier & sometimes Himalayan salt lamp so those negative ions will float around.

What do you all think?

Will a high-quality essential oil blend that helps promote healthy respiratory function help? I've ordered one to try it soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:26 AM

15,198 posts, read 15,232,299 times
If you are feeling unwell in your apartment, there may be a hidden cause. I would poke-around in all the nooks and crannies looking for the culprit, maybe mold, mildew or something else.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:39 AM

3,045 posts, read 1,216,716 times
Do you know what you are allergic to? It may also have something to do with the relative humidity in your home. Over around 50% and allergens like dust mites really grow, but if it gets too dry then they get airborne and you will probably have more asthma.

Do you have allergy covers on your bed/pillows? Is your apartment carpeted? How old is the carpet? Has it been deep cleaned since you moved in?

It could also be mold or other allergens, but that is less likely. People can develop allergies at any age. Likely doing a deep clean and working on the humidity should help.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM

4,851 posts, read 5,914,784 times
It could be mold that was covered up instead of dealt with. Also, it could be something like the carpet that can emit chemicals. Was the carpet new when you moved in? The jury is out on whether new carpet is a source of allergens, but who knows? I would recommend a visit to an allergy doctor.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:16 PM

4,193 posts, read 1,563,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I lived in my apt for 4.5 yrs when I developed a sudden respiratory issue, which was later diagnosed to be allergic asthma. Before that, I lived just 15 min away so in the same city in a single family home & never had any respiratory issue/allergies/sinus problem then.

Could something in this apt have caused this? I don't think I get as much air circulation/ventilation as I did before I moved here, so maybe I've been gradually breathing in more dust since this is a smaller space (from a 1300+ sq ft 2-story home to a 700 sq ft apt) & 4.5 yrs seems about right for a condition to develop. I didn't have mold in the apt I know that. I checked. Now I don't think anyone around me smoked in which some smoke could have subtly come in through the vents into my place. I never smelled cigarette smoke.

I haven't felt back to normal since the 1st few wks in Jan. of 2017 & still don't now. I notice if I've been out for a good amount of hrs, I feel better because I've been outdoors in the fresh air. But every time I come back home (to my apt), I open the windows & sometimes put on the ceiling fans & I turn on my air purifier & sometimes Himalayan salt lamp so those negative ions will float around.

What do you all think?

Will a high-quality essential oil blend that helps promote healthy respiratory function help? I've ordered one to try it soon.
IMHO, as someone who also has allergy-related asthma, rather than add yet another new ingredient to the indoor air of your apartment (the oil), maybe some actual allergy testing could narrow down the culprit. The oil could complicate things or even mask the problem. Testing might eliminate the more obvious things and give you a little more peace of mind. Anxiety does affect asthma response. Has anything in your apartment or the building been changed? New furniture? Carpet? Change in HVAC system? Paints or finishes? Different cleaners or other chemicals? Even new clothing or body products you are using? BTW, molds don't have to be visible to cause trouble. You'd have to check for it more specifically.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-09-2018 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 PM

Thanks a lot guys! You guys probably know when you move into an apt, rarely is the carpet brand new. The previous tenant cleans it as best they can & everywhere else to try to get their security deposit back & when it looks good enough to the leasing office people, then they rent it out to the next person.

Yes, there's carpeting here, which I can't pull up nor do I know how old it is. I did get it cleaned again quickly after moving in my new furniture so everything's as clean as possible to start living in it. I get my carpet professionally cleaned once a year, but I should probably do it 2-3x's a year.

Re: what I'm allergic to, the beginning of last yr, I did a food allergy blood test in which it showed I was MILDLY allergic to a handful of things: Corn, wheat, soy, shrimp too I think, etc., but even to this day, I don't notice any difference if I consume any of those products, but I try to limit or stay away from those ingredients now that I know what the test said. Otherwise, NO known allergies to any non-edible items that I know of (fabrics, chemicals, etc.)

I'm sure I could dust & vacuum more often. Dust seems to accumulate so quickly! I'm trying to clear away things lying around so dust doesn't build up on every little thing & in every little nook & cranny.

I have a feeling that once I move out to a single-family home, which would be bigger than this place & can open up the windows more, etc., I'd do even better.

I could check around again for mold & buy some anti-allergen bedding soon.

How does one check the humidity in their place & how does one make sure the humidity level is just right?

Old 01-10-2018, 06:44 AM

8,323 posts, read 17,671,147 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot guys! You guys probably know when you move into an apt, rarely is the carpet brand new. The previous tenant cleans it as best they can & everywhere else to try to get their security deposit back & when it looks good enough to the leasing office people, then they rent it out to the next person.

Yes, there's carpeting here, which I can't pull up nor do I know how old it is. I did get it cleaned again quickly after moving in my new furniture so everything's as clean as possible to start living in it. I get my carpet professionally cleaned once a year, but I should probably do it 2-3x's a year.

Re: what I'm allergic to, the beginning of last yr, I did a food allergy blood test in which it showed I was MILDLY allergic to a handful of things: Corn, wheat, soy, shrimp too I think, etc., but even to this day, I don't notice any difference if I consume any of those products, but I try to limit or stay away from those ingredients now that I know what the test said. Otherwise, NO known allergies to any non-edible items that I know of (fabrics, chemicals, etc.)

I'm sure I could dust & vacuum more often. Dust seems to accumulate so quickly! I'm trying to clear away things lying around so dust doesn't build up on every little thing & in every little nook & cranny.

I have a feeling that once I move out to a single-family home, which would be bigger than this place & can open up the windows more, etc., I'd do even better.

How does one check the humidity in their place & how does one make sure the humidity level is just right?
Look on Amazon for digital indoor thermometer; most will have the humidity feature you're looking for.

Also. asthma (as well as many other aliments) can develop as we age. As for your allergy testing, I suggest you get the skin test done. It's more telling than a simple blood test.

you're on the right track with cleaning your house more often...run your vacuum (bagless with a HEPA filter is best) daily, damp dust every other day, clean your HVAC filter (buy the best you can afford) monthly and wear dust make while cleaning.

Do the oils help? yes, they do, but you need to clean eliminate your triggers before adding oils. I use Breathe by Doterra everyday and works wonders for me, but I don't have asthma.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:

You will have dust no matter where you live; apartment or SFH. Bigger or smaller, dust will happen. It will happen whether you open windows or not, it will either come IN through open windows or be produced by the objects in the room as well as the surfaces of the building you live in. The simple activity of yourself moving around in the living area will produce it. What actually makes up the dust will vary of course so that's why allergen testing might help identify specifically what you are sensitive to. Removing it more often with a good quality filtering vacuum will help a lot.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Thanks a lot guys for the info.

Thanks, yes, that's why I didn't jump on the essential oil bandwagon way before. A nutritionist/dietician advised me to try them though & how it was effective w/ someone else who had asthma, but I know each person's different. I'll have the same DoTerra Breathe blend in my hands any day now because I ordered it via my nutritionist/dietician colleague who recommended it. I also ordered the Wild Orange one too.

I'm going to start off VERY slowly & diffuse the oil for maybe no more than 2 hrs one day & see how I feel after that. Based on that, I'll either go to 3 hrs or more times a week, etc. But even if it does work, I won't ever use oils all 7 days a week or overnight or anything like that.

I guess this asthma has just developed w/ age for me because back at my parents' 2-story house, there was an equal amt of dust there too as there is here, but I figured since there's MORE interior space back there, that I'm breathing in more here since it's a smaller, more confined space. But I tell ya, about a year ago, I got this scary closed-throat thing happening, which prompted me to go to the ER & then had a few more late-night, closed-throat occurrences at the very beginning & that's how this whole allergic asthma ordeal began.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for the info.

Thanks, yes, that's why I didn't jump on the essential oil bandwagon way before. A nutritionist/dietician advised me to try them though & how it was effective w/ someone else who had asthma, but I know each person's different. I'll have the same DoTerra Breathe blend in my hands any day now because I ordered it via my nutritionist/dietician colleague who recommended it. I also ordered the Wild Orange one too.

I'm going to start off VERY slowly & diffuse the oil for maybe no more than 2 hrs one day & see how I feel after that. Based on that, I'll either go to 3 hrs or more times a week, etc. But even if it does work, I won't ever use oils all 7 days a week or overnight or anything like that.

I guess this asthma has just developed w/ age for me because back at my parents' 2-story house, there was an equal amt of dust there too as there is here, but I figured since there's MORE interior space back there, that I'm breathing in more here since it's a smaller, more confined space. But I tell ya, about a year ago, I got this scary closed-throat thing happening, which prompted me to go to the ER & then had a few more late-night, closed-throat occurrences at the very beginning & that's how this whole allergic asthma ordeal began.
Well, its possible for your individual sensitivity to a specific allergen to get better or worse throughout your life. I had quite a few allergies as a kid; mostly grains and pollens, with asthma being the key reaction. Now most of those substances no longer trigger a reaction. Some still do. Sometimes it takes a few big exposures to something before you start to react, then once you are sensitized its a problem after that. I never used to get a reaction from poison oak as a kid, but now I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or