U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Status: "Senior Member" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
12,874 posts, read 23,773,049 times
Reputation: 7602

Advertisements

My prescription is good for two years, so I have a little over a year left on it. Maybe by then, I can afford new bifocals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM
 
409 posts, read 231,475 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you were seeing fine before your glasses broke, no problem getting the same Rx. If you were noticing any issues, then IMO it would be worth getting your vision checked so that you can get the max usage out of the new glasses.

Although I'm curious about whether it was the lens or the frame that broke? If it was the frame, they should be able to get a replacement frame that will fit the same lenses. I've had to do that a couple of times - my vision is pretty bad so the lenses are the $$$ part of new glasses for me, and it was definitely worth keeping the same lenses in a second frame when the lenses were still good.
It was the frame. Stupid thing broke in half at the nose piece when I was putting them on this morning. Been using a backup pair for the time being.

Are the frames alone considerably cheaper? What about the eyeglass places that send out to have prescription glasses/lens made and then you pick them up in 7-10 days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Status: "one of the wettest from the standpoint of water" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Denver CO
18,685 posts, read 9,751,975 times
Reputation: 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
It was the frame. Stupid thing broke in half at the nose piece when I was putting them on this morning. Been using a backup pair for the time being.

Are the frames alone considerably cheaper? What about the eyeglass places that send out to have prescription glasses/lens made and then you pick them up in 7-10 days?
It depends on your lenses - mine are for a strong Rx plus I get high index since they are so thick and then sometimes other features like lenses that darken, etc. My frames are usually a couple of hundred dollars (I am going to wear them every day for at least two year so I don't mind spending that) and the lenses are usually about $800. In my case, it's clearly worth buying new frames if the lenses are still good.

Your calculations may be different esp. if your vision isn't that bad and your lenses are less expensive. But I'd still take the glasses into the store you bought them at and see what they suggest. They may still have the same frames (or can order a pair) and can pop the lenses right in, or they may have something close enough to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 PM
 
409 posts, read 231,475 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It depends on your lenses - mine are for a strong Rx plus I get high index since they are so thick and then sometimes other features like lenses that darken, etc. My frames are usually a couple of hundred dollars (I am going to wear them every day for at least two year so I don't mind spending that) and the lenses are usually about $800. In my case, it's clearly worth buying new frames if the lenses are still good.

Your calculations may be different esp. if your vision isn't that bad and your lenses are less expensive. But I'd still take the glasses into the store you bought them at and see what they suggest. They may still have the same frames (or can order a pair) and can pop the lenses right in, or they may have something close enough to work.
My prescription is:

OD: Sphere: -3.25, Cylinder: +1:25 Axis: 80

OS: Sphere: -3.75, Cylinder: +1.25 Axis: 95


I myself have no idea what any of that means but that's what I was given by my Ophthalmologist 6 months ago. Not sure if that's a strong prescription or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Status: "one of the wettest from the standpoint of water" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Denver CO
18,685 posts, read 9,751,975 times
Reputation: 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
My prescription is:

OD: Sphere: -3.25, Cylinder: +1:25 Axis: 80

OS: Sphere: -3.75, Cylinder: +1.25 Axis: 95


I myself have no idea what any of that means but that's what I was given by my Ophthalmologist 6 months ago. Not sure if that's a strong prescription or not.
If you still have the receipt for your glasses, it should say how much the frames were and how much the lenses were. Or if you go to your eyeglass store, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you figure out the pricing to decide if replacing just the frames makes sense for you. Good thing you had a back up pair, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM
 
Location: NJ
302 posts, read 88,116 times
Reputation: 1048
Your prescription is good for at least a year. You could call your optometrist to be sure. An annual eye-exam is the norm for people like us who need lenses lol. A lot of people need replacement lenses due to losing them or breaking, sitting on them. It's not unusual and unless you have a special case where your eyesight is degrading rapidly you should be able to use a prescription given in the last year.

Your insurance might not cover the lenses or discount the frames if you already got new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:30 PM
 
1,134 posts, read 1,388,788 times
Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
My prescription is:

OD: Sphere: -3.25, Cylinder: +1:25 Axis: 80

OS: Sphere: -3.75, Cylinder: +1.25 Axis: 95


I myself have no idea what any of that means but that's what I was given by my Ophthalmologist 6 months ago. Not sure if that's a strong prescription or not.

Do you have your original bill from where you bought the glasses? If so, read the fine print. Most of the places where I have bought glasses guarantee the frames for at least one year. You may find that the frame is under warranty and you may qualify to get a free replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Boston
3,711 posts, read 1,217,579 times
Reputation: 5722
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Or should I schedule/pay for another exam before getting a replacement? Obviously, I'd prefer not to have to undergo the time and $ that goes with another exam but not sure if the 6-month old prescription would be okay to use.
If the prescription is no good why did you bother wear the glasses.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 04:07 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
4,218 posts, read 2,196,124 times
Reputation: 5096
Save yourself some money and hassle, order a pair from Zenni. I don't think they much care how old the Rx is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 04:41 PM
 
696 posts, read 1,309,628 times
Reputation: 1634
Unless the frames are poor quality (they did break after all - but you may handle them roughly), if the lenses are in good shape get a duplicate frame into which your optician can insert the existing lenses. No new Rx needed. Problem solved. I don't get what's so difficult about this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top