U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 12:05 PM

747 posts, read 437,420 times

Advertisements

When I bend my arms very fast I get this intense sharp pain at the joint area. The elbow (either one) will then be sore and I won't be able to lift anything heavy for a few days until the elbow joint fully heals.
I have been practicing combative full contact sport for several years for fun not professionally. I thought this was the cause of my elbow joint pain due to constant punches and kicks blocking using my arms and elbows. But a friend mentioned I may be experiencing ulnar nerve pain since that I sit at a desk all day for work.

I do want to see a doctor or a professional physician but not sure what kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM

16,180 posts, read 7,101,807 times
Sounds to me like you might have tennis elbow. I got mine from typing and knitting.

Just about any family practice doctor can diagnose this, and can advise some self-treatment options.

But if you don't already have a primary physician, given your pastime, I'd look for one that specializes in sports medicine.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 PM

18,807 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Hard to say, sounds like you are putting your elbows thru the mill with the contact sport. Maybe ease off the sport. I am old and no combat sports, but when I will lean against desk with elbows I get pain. I avoid that leaning on desk.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,839,253 times
You can either start off with a nonoperative Sports Medicine physician (A General Practitioner who has done additional fellowship training in Sports), or go straight to an Orthopedic Surgeon who sub specializes in Sports Medicine or Shoulder and Elbow. The former would probably be the quickest and easiest.

You're in Houston, right? If so, I would recommend looking into the Ortho group at your closest Methodist facility or the Medical Center. The largest and most well know private Ortho group in town is Fondren Orthopedic Group. They also have multiple locations.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:21 PM

4,683 posts, read 5,835,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
When I bend my arms very fast I get this intense sharp pain at the joint area. The elbow (either one) will then be sore and I won't be able to lift anything heavy for a few days until the elbow joint fully heals.
I have been practicing combative full contact sport for several years for fun not professionally. I thought this was the cause of my elbow joint pain due to constant punches and kicks blocking using my arms and elbows. But a friend mentioned I may be experiencing ulnar nerve pain since that I sit at a desk all day for work.

I do want to see a doctor or a professional physician but not sure what kind.
Before seeing a doctor and incurring expensive medical bills, I would determine if your have golfer's elbow or tennis elbow. Tennis elbow and golfer's elbow can both be categorized as a form of epicondylitis. This is an inflammation of tendons that are attached to your elbow. With tennis elbow the area being affected is the lateral (outside) regions of the elbow. Golfer's elbow affects the medial (inside) areas. You don't have to golf or play tennis to get either of these conditions.

I developed a sharp pain on the inside of my elbow, which is golfer's elbow. It was so painful that it hurt to lift a cup of coffee. While searching for solutions online, I came across the following article: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...-tennis-elbow/

I bought the rubber bar they used in the study and started following YouTube videos to do the exercises. There are exercises for both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow. I was shocked at how quickly the pain went away and I never did all the sets and reps that were recommended.

This is the rubber bar that I bought: https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Res.../dp/B01N1UMUP4

They make the Flexbar in four sizes. I bought the heavy (blue) FlexBar. I would suggest starting with one of the lighter bars and possibly working up to a heavier bar.

I developed golfer's elbow not from playing golf but from doing pullups. I recommenced it to a friend who also developed golfer's elbow from doing a lot of pullups. He bought the green FlexBar and it fixed his problem. The four bars range in price from about $14 to $27 and there are other similar products available.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 AM

747 posts, read 437,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Before seeing a doctor and incurring expensive medical bills, I would determine if your have golfer's elbow or tennis elbow. Tennis elbow and golfer's elbow can both be categorized as a form of epicondylitis. This is an inflammation of tendons that are attached to your elbow. With tennis elbow the area being affected is the lateral (outside) regions of the elbow. Golfer's elbow affects the medial (inside) areas. You don't have to golf or play tennis to get either of these conditions.

I developed a sharp pain on the inside of my elbow, which is golfer's elbow. It was so painful that it hurt to lift a cup of coffee. While searching for solutions online, I came across the following article: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...-tennis-elbow/

I bought the rubber bar they used in the study and started following YouTube videos to do the exercises. There are exercises for both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow. I was shocked at how quickly the pain went away and I never did all the sets and reps that were recommended.

This is the rubber bar that I bought: https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Res.../dp/B01N1UMUP4

They make the Flexbar in four sizes. I bought the heavy (blue) FlexBar. I would suggest starting with one of the lighter bars and possibly working up to a heavier bar.

I developed golfer's elbow not from playing golf but from doing pullups. I recommenced it to a friend who also developed golfer's elbow from doing a lot of pullups. He bought the green FlexBar and it fixed his problem. The four bars range in price from about $14 to $27 and there are other similar products available.
Thank you I'll investigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness