U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 PM

4,034 posts, read 9,771,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And you don't either, none of us know. But the OP says pain meds. So I guess I'm guessing..many leave people who want to reply, guessing.

And you are dead wrong about a dying pediatric patient comment. good grief.

Do you have a suggestion for OP or just me?
Do YOU have a suggestion for the OP? The question concerned how to get a pharmacy to fill the entire order of a prescription.....where exactly in your previous post did YOU deal with this question?

Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 PM

12,291 posts, read 22,341,350 times
Transfer to Walgreen's or CVS, they never run out. I would never use Walmart or Sam's for my prescriptions, no matter what they are.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 PM

7,779 posts, read 2,015,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
You're saying the pharmacy fills only half of the prescription amount ordered by your doctor? If that is the case you shoud not have to get another script for the rest of the medication, if the pharmacy can only partially fill a prescription, they should indicate the amount they're filling (for example, 10 of 30 pills), and then fill the remainder of the script when those meds come in.

As others have suggested I'd probably find another pharmacy.
This is exactly correct. If they only give you say 15 of 30 pills, they should order more and then fill the rest of your prescription. You would not need another script! This had happened to me. Unless you live in a small town, Id just go elsewhere!

Old 01-12-2018, 07:52 PM

4,034 posts, read 9,771,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
And the prescription isn't cancelled if they haven't filled it completely...
That's not necessarily true and varies state to state particularly with Schedule II medications....

Here is the NC Rule:

Partial Filling of CII prescriptions:
Partial filling of CII prescriptions is permissible if the pharmacist is unable to supply the full quantity called for by the Rx. Notation of partial filling must be noted on the original Rx.
II
The remaining portion of the Rx may be filled within 72 hours
of the first partial filling; however, if the remaining portion
cannot be filled within this period, the pharmacist shall notify
the prescribing practitioner. No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription. CFR 1306.13(a)

http://www.ncbop.org/about/Student%2...RevNov2013.pdf

So in fact if a pharmacy only partially fills a Schedule II prescription in NC and is unable to fill the remainder, the prescription does in fact "cancel"

I know other states have rules even more strict where partial filling does cancel the remainder of the Rx.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 PM

4,129 posts, read 5,224,962 times
Pharmacy's should not be messing with a doctors prescription. Find a pharmacy that will honor the prescription. Your doctor should know if their are laws keeping the pharmacy from filling the entire order.
Pharmacy's sometimes act on their own like with certain types of birth control. They do not feel obligated to fill a prescription if it goes against their beliefs. Maybe Sam's Club is trying to eradicate the pain med problem on their own.
I know we do have problems with pain meds, but not everyone is an addict and people need relief from pain.

Find a new pharmacy ASAP.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:27 PM

10,959 posts, read 3,380,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Do YOU have a suggestion for the OP? The question concerned how to get a pharmacy to fill the entire order of a prescription.....where exactly in your previous post did YOU deal with this question?
Thanks I believe I was talking to OP.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-12-2018 at 08:55 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 PM

2,044 posts, read 657,440 times
I use Walmart all the time, they were unable to fill a Rx only once--and I didn't need it anyway, so no problem.
Target was short on my Thyroid meds a couple of times, offered to give me 3 pills, and let me come back later for the rest. Since I had a supply, I just filled it all later.

That's pretty shocking that the pharmacy has shorted you more than once. You doctor could probably give you a new Rx that would fill at a different time than the other customer. i.e., you got only 2 weeks worth, doc gives a new Rx in 2 weeks that gives you a month's worth of pills. Other patient gets hers 2 weeks later.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM

302 posts, read 598,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I would call the new pharmacy and say I take X, and my current pharmacy is having problems filling a full month, and that causes me to lose 1/2 my prescription. Is it possible you can consistently fill a full month of X for me?
Good luck with that, they are so afraid of being held up for pain meds that they will tell you nothing. They tell me that they are not allowed to call another store in the same chain to ask if they have any.

I have also been told that if they fill 1/2 for you the other half is lost.

Thank the druggies for all the problems normal people have getting scripts filled.

We have 2 children on ADHD Meds and go thru this on a regular basis, cannot even buy Sudafed around here, it's behind the counter and they photo your license for the database to see if your abusing it. I also heard other thing can be made with Sudafed thats why they are so tough on it.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:40 PM

8,515 posts, read 12,186,250 times
If it's an ongoing problem talk to the pharmacy manager who can suggest solutions or alternatives. It could be a supply issue with a particular manufacturer. You don't want to ask about quantities kept in stock, just present it as a 'how can we solve this' kind of question. Put the ball in their court and if you can't get a satisfactory answer take your prescription elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 PM

707 posts, read 289,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
You're saying the pharmacy fills only half of the prescription amount ordered by your doctor? If that is the case you shoud not have to get another script for the rest of the medication, if the pharmacy can only partially fill a prescription, they should indicate the amount they're filling (for example, 10 of 30 pills), and then fill the remainder of the script when those meds come in.

As others have suggested I'd probably find another pharmacy.
They can't fill the rest of the prescription for Schedule II drugs if it takes more than 72 hours to get the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
finally- a couple of options of which may work. My initial issue was how to ask the pharmacy without sounding like a crazed druggie. Your suggestion makes sense.
I'll talk to my doc and insurance about mail ordering this med
You won't sound like a druggie if you have the paper prescription. Just tell them you aren't happy with the service you are getting from your current pharmacy. You will look like a druggie if you try to fill too early, or make some outrageous excuse for running out early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It sounds like the pharmacy does not have enough of the product on hand to fill the entire prescription. OP does say they have agreed to increase the amount they stock.

She said, "I did end up calling them today and lady I spoke with said they have one other monthly patient on same meds, same amount and unfortunately same time each month so they are going to up their order for this medicine."

The real question is why they did not increase their stock order after they could not fill the first rx. Also, most drug stores can get medications in a day or two if they do not have it on hand.
That's not necessarily true with Schedule II meds. The DEA will limit pharmacies on how many of those they can dispense in a given period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Transfer to Walgreen's or CVS, they never run out. I would never use Walmart or Sam's for my prescriptions, no matter what they are.
Walgreens and CVS run out of Schedule II drugs. They also usually only have one delivery of those per week, and if they've run out, you may have to wait several days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness