U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:03 AM

15,560 posts, read 17,687,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
for the last 3 months when I go to fill my pain meds the pharmacy I use only has about half of what I'm supposed to get. Which of course means in 15 days I have to get another script from doc,hope and pray insurance will help pay and hope the pharmacy has enough for the second go round.

My question is this--how can I find out if another pharmacy may keep more on hand without coming off like a druggie who might rob em for having plenty on hand??
In my experience, they should give you the full amount at a later date, like days later. If they aren't filling your whole prescription at one time, you certainly shouldn't need another script.

I'd contact your Dr. Or, your insurance company and tell them what is going on. Otherwise, simply start trading at another pharmacy.

It actually sounds suspicious that they aren't giving you your full script.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:09 AM

899 posts, read 411,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
In my experience, they should give you the full amount at a later date, like days later. If they aren't filling your whole prescription at one time, you certainly shouldn't need another script.

I'd contact your Dr. Or, your insurance company and tell them what is going on. Otherwise, simply start trading at another pharmacy.

It actually sounds suspicious that they aren't giving you your full script.
If the meds are Schedule II, which a lot of prescription pain meds are, they can't give you the rest of the prescription after just a few days, you must get a new prescription from the doctor. Some pharmacies are getting skittish about pain meds. Walgreens was fined something like $80 million for providing too many pills in Florida, and now make it really difficult to get prescriptions filled,and run out often. The DEA and FDA also limit how many Schedule II prescriptions some pharmacies can fill.

I agree that OP should try another pharmacy, perhaps a non-chain store, where they are still interested in customer service.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 AM

3,242 posts, read 1,374,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm20 View Post
if the meds are schedule ii, which a lot of prescription pain meds are, they can't give you the rest of the prescription after just a few days, you must get a new prescription from the doctor. Some pharmacies are getting skittish about pain meds. Walgreens was fined something like $80 million for providing too many pills in florida, and now make it really difficult to get prescriptions filled,and run out often. The dea and fda also limit how many schedule ii prescriptions some pharmacies can fill.

I agree that op should try another pharmacy, perhaps a non-chain store, where they are still interested in customer service.
+1.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM

5,388 posts, read 7,342,957 times
Quote:
I'm only responsible for what I know. I can't "make" you understand.

The pharmacy cannot fill only half, then fill the rest later. It doesn't work that way with some meds. If I accept the 60 they have then I'm agreeing that I lose the other 60.
So then they should order it, and just wait an extra day to pick it up, or go to a different pharmacy. I wonder in a pharmacy for many years. We could order and have the med the next day. You should go to a Walgreens or CVS theyíre more likely to have what you need. Sams probably stocks more maintenance type meds. Pain meds arenít typically in that category so they probably just donít keep as much in stock.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:24 AM

3,519 posts, read 1,505,707 times
Quote:
I'm only responsible for what I know. I can't "make" you understand.

The pharmacy cannot fill only half, then fill the rest later. It doesn't work that way with some meds. If I accept the 60 they have then I'm agreeing that I lose the other 60.
You are not agreeing to lose the other 60 if they dispense those other 60 within 72 hours of the first 60.

If they cannot commit to dispensing the last 60; you should not allow them to fill the prescription at all.

The doctor writes "Dispense 120" & that is to be used within 30 days. The pharmacy fills 60 which will be used within 15 days. So 15 days later you must obtain another prescription from the doctor; I am assuming it is written "Dispense 60"?.

This can only be done if the pharmacy notifies your doctor that the "Dispense 120" resulted in them having dispensed 60. Apparently this has occurred, otherwise, I can't imagine your doctor would be willing to write the additional prescription.

If you have no other options for a Pharmacy; your doctor could write for a "sequential prescription" written as "Do not fill until -", so that you do not have to drive all over on the 15th of every month (just to the pharmacy to pick it up).

Hopefully, you are not paying for 180 while only receiving 120.

I am having major issues with pharmacies filling a non-narcotic medication & customer service seems to have taken a turn for the worst. The next time I have to obtain the actual prescription (vs a refill) I am switching to The Medicine Shoppe; a compounding pharmacy that my doctor's patients report getting excellent customer service from. The doctor's staff also state they are very easy & competent to work with.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:20 AM

310 posts, read 101,703 times
Their excuses sound pretty lame to me. It's possible that someone in that pharmacy is diverting pills for their own personal use... "aww shucks we're out". It even happens in hospitals where an employee puts half the amount you've been prescribed into your IV (unlike pills, an IV bag looks the same, making it very difficult for you to tell you've been shorted), and the other half into their veins or a buyer's veins later.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:37 AM

14,274 posts, read 8,814,136 times
Quote:
for the last 3 months when I go to fill my pain meds the pharmacy I use only has about half of what I'm supposed to get. Which of course means in 15 days I have to get another script from doc,hope and pray insurance will help pay and hope the pharmacy has enough for the second go round.

My question is this--how can I find out if another pharmacy may keep more on hand without coming off like a druggie who might rob em for having plenty on hand??

My one son is diabetic, and when he went to get his refill or test strips the last time, the pharmacy only had half of what he needed. This has happened several times before, so he confronted the pharmacist, and they ordered more in to complete the order. Same thing happened to me when I needed pain pills after 3 root canals, the pharmacy apologized for not having any in stock.

More and more, pharmacies are keeping less of everything in stock, and it is frustrating.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:57 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,888,657 times
FYI-There is a crack down on the drug supply chain. The DEA started targeting pharmacies if they dispensed over a specific quantity in a month, regardless if prescriptions were on file for the drugs. So pharmacies have to limit the amount they order to the guidelines set by the DEA. So pharmacies sell out of selected drugs every week. The DEA was not successful in enlisting the aid of the Medical Groups and licensing agencies in the control of the drug distribution. So now the DEA is restricting pharmacies and wholesalers. The public ignored the drug abuse issues and real patients are suffering. You can try to use a specific pharmacy. And leave the prescription with them for a week with the instructions to call when ready to allow all regulations ans verifications to be followed and the drug to be ordered.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:26 PM

25,459 posts, read 16,393,209 times
Quote:
not refills just only has half the amount I need; which means I lose the rest of the prescription.

I use Sams, so not a small pharmacy. I did end up calling them today and lady I spoke with said they have one other monthly patient on same meds,same amount and unfortunately same time each month so they are going to up their order for this medicine.
Ours has had this problem for quite a while. You either have to wait until they can get more (from another branch) or find a better stocked pharmacy.

Your best bet is to get them filled at a hospital pharmacy. You can transfer your prescriptions at any time, and as far as I know, that is not a red flag.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM

3,242 posts, read 1,374,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So then they should order it, and just wait an extra day to pick it up, or go to a different pharmacy. I wonder in a pharmacy for many years. We could order and have the med the next day. You should go to a Walgreens or CVS theyíre more likely to have what you need. Sams probably stocks more maintenance type meds. Pain meds arenít typically in that category so they probably just donít keep as much in stock.
In some places, taking a script to another pharmacy (even the same chain down the road) isn't even allowed. Some doctors require a "pain med contract" where you can only fill a script at the same pharmacy, every time. It's getting insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or