U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,987,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
In some places, taking a script to another pharmacy (even the same chain down the road) isn't even allowed. Some doctors require a "pain med contract" where you can only fill a script at the same pharmacy, every time. It's getting insane.
Yeah well I’m sure if she tells the doc that the pharmacy doesn’t stock enough they’d understand. Clearly it’s a lax doc since s/he is willing to write the Rx 15 days early every month.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

12,007 posts, read 13,404,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Yeah well I’m sure if she tells the doc that the pharmacy doesn’t stock enough they’d understand. Clearly it’s a lax doc since s/he is willing to write the Rx 15 days early every month.
it isn't that he's a "lax" doctor. He knows I need my pain meds and so he obliges me because what choice does he or I have at this point? Also he isn't writing an early script; he is writing a script for the other half of what was originally prescribed

Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM

37,505 posts, read 41,655,638 times
You must have an oddball pharmacy, our pharmacy (Walgreens) when they run short they just call us a few days later when the rest of the r/x ordered pills come in. No new r/x is needed for shorts.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM

6,388 posts, read 1,023,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
In my experience, they should give you the full amount at a later date, like days later. If they aren't filling your whole prescription at one time, you certainly shouldn't need another script.

I'd contact your Dr. Or, your insurance company and tell them what is going on. Otherwise, simply start trading at another pharmacy.

It actually sounds suspicious that they aren't giving you your full script.

I agree, & you need to talk to the pharmacist in charge or call the head office, Don't let them get away with stealing/shorting you on your meds. You are not a drug crazed person if you are just trying to fill the rx as written.

Old Today, 01:32 AM

8,515 posts, read 12,186,250 times
Controlled drugs are counted multiple times, usually in full view of a camera(s). It's not impossible but it's unlikely they would be stealing her pills on a regular basis. It's much, much more likely a supply or ordering issue, or part of the strict control the DEA has created on certain drugs. Running from pharmacy to pharmacy is NOT a good idea if it can be avoided, much better to try to resolve the issue at the current pharmacy if possible.

Old Today, 02:01 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,787,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
not refills just only has half the amount I need; which means I lose the rest of the prescription.

I use Sams, so not a small pharmacy. I did end up calling them today and lady I spoke with said they have one other monthly patient on same meds,same amount and unfortunately same time each month so they are going to up their order for this medicine.
So, the lady you spoke with confirmed they don't always fill the prescription with the correct amount of pills.

1. The next time count the pills before you leave.

2. Speak directly to the physicist and if the problem isn't corrected you'll complain.

Sometimes around this time of year I get an on-going cough. The doctor gives me a non-renewable prescription for nine low dose steroid pills. I take three per day for three days. Problem solved.

However, if I noticed there are just six in the bottle you best believe I will complain. I am supposed to get nine pills and I am paying for nine. The fact I am only getting six and I have to bring this to their attention is inexcusable.

Old Today, 05:51 AM

243 posts, read 57,416 times
Quote:
for the last 3 months when I go to fill my pain meds the pharmacy I use only has about half of what I'm supposed to get. Which of course means in 15 days I have to get another script from doc,hope and pray insurance will help pay and hope the pharmacy has enough for the second go round.

My question is this--how can I find out if another pharmacy may keep more on hand without coming off like a druggie who might rob em for having plenty on hand??
I would call the pharmacy and request that they fill the entire prescription so you don't have to make two trips. Call a few days in advance so they have time to get the meds. That's not an unreasonable request. If that doesn't work, go INTO another pharmacy and explain the issue you have with XYZ pharmacy and see if they can give a full month's worth. This way they can see you're not a druggie.

Old Today, 07:24 AM

21,349 posts, read 41,744,302 times
Quote:
not refills just only has half the amount I need; which means I lose the rest of the prescription.

I use Sams, so not a small pharmacy. I did end up calling them today and lady I spoke with said they have one other monthly patient on same meds,same amount and unfortunately same time each month so they are going to up their order for this medicine.
That is illegal
Maybe the pharmacy is kiting their books...
Report them to whatever state agency has to deal with keeping them honest and use another pharmacy

Old Today, 07:29 AM

21,349 posts, read 41,744,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Controlled drugs are counted multiple times, usually in full view of a camera(s). It's not impossible but it's unlikely they would be stealing her pills on a regular basis. It's much, much more likely a supply or ordering issue, or part of the strict control the DEA has created on certain drugs. Running from pharmacy to pharmacy is NOT a good idea if it can be avoided, much better to try to resolve the issue at the current pharmacy if possible.
Moving a RX to get a full dosage is not "running from pharmacy to pharmacy"
If the law prevented filling the total number of pills the doctor prescribed, I imagine the person would get the explanation when s/he picked up the RX at the pharmacy window
Something like this, they make you get a face/face w/the pharmacist about using the drug properly...

And while controlled drugs should be supervised more strenuously than non-controlled opioid meds, it is certainly possible for someone to be running a scam...

Frankly I find it pretty incredible that someone who is taking a LEGAL opioid drug--supposedly for pain management--is going to walk away from half of a RX---
That does not sound like a normal person's response....
If you have a legal RX and get only half your dosage, you are still legally entitled to the other half and don't need a NEW RX to complete the order...
THAT would make the OP seem to be abusing the need for the drug--having to have a NEW RX twice as quick as the original RX required....

Old Today, 08:17 AM

14,849 posts, read 16,642,259 times
Quote:
it isn't that he's a "lax" doctor. He knows I need my pain meds and so he obliges me because what choice does he or I have at this point? Also he isn't writing an early script; he is writing a script for the other half of what was originally prescribed
That doesn't make sense to me. The original prescription called for 60....not half. This just seems so suspicious to me.

OP, I hope that you can simply find a better pharmacy...

Personally, I'd be contacting my insurance provider and telling them about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness