U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2018, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
27,630 posts, read 44,640,431 times
Reputation: 18820

Advertisements

The cement braces the bruised or injured joint bone from the inside and eventually is replaced by new bone as part of the body's natural healing process.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2018...&utm_medium=16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
10,990 posts, read 3,390,868 times
Reputation: 7818
Well, I'd LOVE to find an alternative to invasive knee replacement surgery. Maybe if I wait long enough an alternative will show up.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-13-2018 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
10,990 posts, read 3,390,868 times
Reputation: 7818
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The cement braces the bruised or injured joint bone from the inside and eventually is replaced by new bone as part of the body's natural healing process.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2018...&utm_medium=16
I had this on my mind when I woke up this morning. Too good sounding to go over in the ortho surgery world, MAYBE? How much will it cost, will insurance pay? I guess we have to stay tuned.

Since this involves calcium type injections, I keep thinking how calcium tablets are pushed and I read so much that so much of this calcium goes to the bloodstream and not the joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
22,566 posts, read 14,735,668 times
Reputation: 32301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, I'd LOVE to find an alternative to invasive knee replacement surgery. Maybe if I wait long enough an alternative will show up.
Sorry, doesn't look like it will work for your knee.

However, subchondroplasty is only feasible in a narrow range of patients. Those with full-blown bone-on-bone arthritis or joint pain caused by damage to the cartilage and ligaments will get little to no relief from the procedure, Vasileff said.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
10,990 posts, read 3,390,868 times
Reputation: 7818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sorry, doesn't look like it will work for your knee.

However, subchondroplasty is only feasible in a narrow range of patients. Those with full-blown bone-on-bone arthritis or joint pain caused by damage to the cartilage and ligaments will get little to no relief from the procedure, Vasileff said.
I don't close the door on this Mikala. I don't believe I live with full blown as you say I do. My knee bends very good in spite of what I live with. Oh, I see it's been available for a while and now they are looking at it for hips. I have not seen knee ortho since Jan 2017 and want to make appt to see him for more thoughts on where my knee is in his eyes.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Yesterday at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
 
142 posts, read 70,770 times
Reputation: 285
jaminhealth, you might want to do some research on pentosan polysulfate. Apparently it has been used for years to rebuild cartilage in racehorses. Now they are doing experiments with it on people with osteoarthritis of the knee. Pentosan is a natural substance made from beechwood trees. Here is an australian article on a pentosan nasal spray:

https://custommedicine.com.au/health...with-pentosan/

Apparently injections directly into the knee work best based on the Japanese studies done. If you research enough, you will find that this is being tested on people now with promising results showing that it could possibly end the need for knee replacements on many people.

https://www.arthritiswa.org.au/news/...tis-could.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24678076

I haven't done extensive research, but came across this when looking up cartilage supplements and it looks promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
10,990 posts, read 3,390,868 times
Reputation: 7818
Found this group in Los Angeles area and notified a friend who's knees are an issue but NOT as bad as my right one for sure.

https://mosm.com/subchondroplasty/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
65,791 posts, read 74,111,942 times
Reputation: 34650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Found this group in Los Angeles area and notified a friend who's knees are an issue but NOT as bad as my right one for sure.

https://mosm.com/subchondroplasty/
We all see things differently but I am wondering why you don't start by going back to your Orthopedist and see if he is aware of this treatment? At least it is a start. Even though you can bend your knee just fine, so could I when I choose knee replacement, the pain is the most important thing. Again, not all surgeries go well and yes we all know knee replacement is elective, the majority of the time everything turns out well. We can't go through dwelling on what could go wrong. I could get up off the chair and go fix lunch, trip over the cat and break my leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:49 AM
 
4,040 posts, read 9,773,687 times
Reputation: 7831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't close the door on this Mikala. I don't believe I live with full blown as you say I do. My knee bends very good in spite of what I live with. Oh, I see it's been available for a while and now they are looking at it for hips. I have not seen knee ortho since Jan 2017 and want to make appt to see him for more thoughts on where my knee is in his eyes.
Anyone with x ray changes of osteoarthritis is not a candidate for this procedure, the upper age limit is typically 75

This procedure is meant for younger, more active patients with no x ray changes of osteoarthritis but MRI evidence of bone marrow lesions/bone marrow edema chronic in nature which untreated may lead to osteoarthritis in the future.

Doesn't matter if your knee "bends good", that doesn't mean you have any cartilage left and in the case of subchondroplasty you don't want candidates that have ANY cartilage loss already never mind bone on bone changes and malalignment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
10,990 posts, read 3,390,868 times
Reputation: 7818
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We all see things differently but I am wondering why you don't start by going back to your Orthopedist and see if he is aware of this treatment? At least it is a start. Even though you can bend your knee just fine, so could I when I choose knee replacement, the pain is the most important thing. Again, not all surgeries go well and yes we all know knee replacement is elective, the majority of the time everything turns out well. We can't go through dwelling on what could go wrong. I could get up off the chair and go fix lunch, trip over the cat and break my leg.
It's really not easy for me to get around, for starters, as I gave up my car and have to PLAN things way out to get to places... I'll do what I need and want to do when I can. After spending so much downtime in 2017,, I'm not anxious to spend more and that's what surgeries do, downtime.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top