U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:28 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if mine was triggered by artificial sweeteners...I never eat them, but had something on Sunday with Stevia in it, and then Monday I got the headache.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM

108 posts, read 183,986 times
Lack of quality sleep is a root cause for my occular migraines. TBHQ preservative in foods is another.

I keep some Excederin Migraine tablets available at all times as they will knock them out in 20 minutes if I take them as soon as I suspect one is forming.

After a while you'll learn to recognize the early onset symptoms and be prepared with tablets. Having them occur at work is the worst for me when trying to use a computer!

Regards,

Dave

Old 01-19-2018, 11:20 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I have a family member who gets migraines, sometimes with aura, sometimes without. We've figured out that stress, sleep disruptions (change in sleep schedule or too little sleep) are triggers. Hormones fluctuations seem to be a trigger. Certain foods are triggers but it seems like they only trigger a migraine if one other factor (stress or sleep disturbances, hormonal changes) is already present. Intense exercise can also trigger them but again, it only seems to happen if one of the underlying triggers such as stress is already present. The food triggers tend to be foods high in tyramines such as aged cheese, soy sauce, etc. Its frustrating.
Migraines, which are debilitating in pain and sometimes nausea, are very different from ocular migraines - which are painless but can be frightening the first time you experience one.
Ocular migraines do not usually follow the same trigger patterns as migraines.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I was wondering if mine was triggered by artificial sweeteners...I never eat them, but had something on Sunday with Stevia in it, and then Monday I got the headache.....
Headache? Or ocular migraine? or both?

Old 01-19-2018, 11:31 AM

6,709 posts, read 2,608,873 times
So today I'm off gluten and this is the second day in a couple weeks (one day was about 4 days ago) where I haven't had an occular (or several) migraine.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:16 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
What?? why not? she doesn't take anything to treat and/or prevent them??
She's tried lots of meds and seen a couple of neurologists. None of the meds have worked for her. Some have given her side effects she couldn't handle long enough to see if the med would help. She's also tried changing her diet, excluding artificial sweeteners and avoiding foods known to cause migraine. Some of her migraines are accompanied by pain as well as the vision disturbances.

Our dad had similar vision problems that would cause blind spots or temporarily wipe out the vision in his left eye. He was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis because of it, but when medical imaging technology improved and he had more tests done, they were unable to find any evidence of MS and said he'd probably never had it.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
She's tried lots of meds and seen a couple of neurologists. None of the meds have worked for her. Some have given her side effects she couldn't handle long enough to see if the med would help. She's also tried changing her diet, excluding artificial sweeteners and avoiding foods known to cause migraine. Some of her migraines are accompanied by pain as well as the vision disturbances.

Our dad had similar vision problems that would cause blind spots or temporarily wipe out the vision in his left eye. He was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis because of it, but when medical imaging technology improved and he had more tests done, they were unable to find any evidence of MS and said he'd probably never had it.

Gosh, how awful, so sorry to hear that!!!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:52 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
I get them frequently, and they're rather annoying! Usually mine aren't painful, but I get the visual light show for about 20 minutes - which is quite inconvenient if I have to drive, or when I'm at work (which requires using a computer and/or books). When I get the FIRST sign of one coming, I immediately hit it with caffeine and ibuprofen, which usually knocks out the headache that would follow. Have you tried that combo yet?

And as others have said, you need to figure out your triggers. I'd suggest keeping a journal, where you write down EVERY possible trigger (foods, lighting, amount/quality of sleep, etc) that occurred the day you had a migraine... eventually you'll start to see patterns, and determine what likely causes them. For me it's usually a combination of lack of sleep, and flashing/bright lights. Unfortunately the sleep is an ongoing issue that I can't easily fix, but I do avoid bright lights (especially fluorescent) as much as possible. Hope this helps!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Headache? Or ocular migraine? or both?
both, since I tend to never have artificial sweeteners, I feel they are more toxic than plain old sugar lol

I do get regular migraines as well....usually the ocular is followed by a regular migraine. Winter weather also seems to trigger it, the cold, dry air.

Migraines run in my family. Both my mother and grandfather got them bad....my grandfather's trigger was chocolate. My mother used to be prescribed Fiorinal (spelling?) and she said they were very addictive...

Either way, I am going to speak to my doctor about maybe a prescription for migraines when they get really bad. I do find the glare from the computer makes it worse...and, of course, my job is being on the computer all day.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:54 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I've only experienced one, years ago. It was during a computer training and suddenly I couldn't see the middle of the computer screen, but had no pain. It really was pretty terrifying not knowing what was happening. Doc later told me it was an ocular migraine, and some people have them, others don't. They don't know why and there's no prevention.
I was in a work meeting once, when one of my colleagues got her first ocular migraine... she's already kind of a hypochondriac, and started FREAKING OUT. She literally thought she was having a stroke, but I quickly talked her down and explained what was happening. I then got her a cup of coffee + Advil, and told her to go lay down in a dark room. She came back about 20 minutes later, and thanked me for keeping her from a full-blown panic attack. She later saw her doctor, who confirmed it was in fact a migraine. I admit, it IS pretty scary if you don't know what's happening!

Quote:
What I'm scared of is getting another one when I'm going 70 mph on the freeway.
I can't speak for everyone, but I usually get a "warning sign" at least 5-10 minutes before they start... for me it's generally a small blind spot (corner of my vision), or the feeling that things are off-balance visually. So if I'm driving when these warnings show up, I get off the road asap!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness