U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 02:54 PM

2,491 posts, read 3,864,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I get them frequently, and they're rather annoying! Usually mine aren't painful, but I get the visual light show for about 20 minutes - which is quite inconvenient if I have to drive, or when I'm at work (which requires using a computer and/or books). When I get the FIRST sign of one coming, I immediately hit it with caffeine and ibuprofen, which usually knocks out the headache that would follow. Have you tried that combo yet?

And as others have said, you need to figure out your triggers. I'd suggest keeping a journal, where you write down EVERY possible trigger (foods, lighting, amount/quality of sleep, etc) that occurred the day you had a migraine... eventually you'll start to see patterns, and determine what likely causes them. For me it's usually a combination of lack of sleep, and flashing/bright lights. Unfortunately the sleep is an ongoing issue that I can't easily fix, but I do avoid bright lights (especially fluorescent) as much as possible. Hope this helps!

Thanks! it does, I am never short on caffeine (lol) but I will try the ibuprofen/caffeine combo..isn't that what Excedrin is basically? My mother swore when she got off the prescription meds that was her best remedy too (aspirin/caffeine)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but I usually get a "warning sign" at least 5-10 minutes before they start... for me it's generally a small blind spot (corner of my vision), or the feeling that things are off balance visually. So if I'm driving when these warnings show up, I get off the road asap!!
LOL yes that's how mine start too, with that small blind spot, almost like what you see when you look into a really bright light then look away....and then it starts to grow and becomes a zig zag psychedelic pattern

Old 01-19-2018, 03:00 PM

28,338 posts, read 43,767,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Either way, I am going to speak to my doctor about maybe a prescription for migraines when they get really bad. I do find the glare from the computer makes it worse...and, of course, my job is being on the computer all day.
Oh yeah, computer screens trigger them too! Have you asked your workplace for an anti-glare screen? We have them on all of our computers (I work at a library), and legally most places are required to provide these things if requested.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:01 PM

28,338 posts, read 43,767,972 times
Quote:
Thanks! it does, I am never short on caffeine (lol) but I will try the ibuprofen/caffeine combo..isn't that what Excedrin is basically? My mother swore when she got off the prescription meds that was her best remedy too (aspirin/caffeine)....
Yeah, I guess it is - but I'm "allergic" to Excedrin & aspirin (makes me throw up), so I do Advil + coffee or diet soda instead. Can't say if Excedrin is as effective, but it's worth trying if you can tolerate it.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, computer screens trigger them too! Have you asked your workplace for an anti-glare screen? We have them on all of our computers (I work at a library), and legally most places are required to provide these things if requested.

Yes that's a great idea, I'm going to order one for my computer...my boss won't mind, he has one too lol. Not for this reason but for sun glare on his screen lol.

Anyone also feel weird after one passes? I felt so out of the day after, almost like I was drunk

Old 01-19-2018, 03:17 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,732,438 times
Quote:
both, since I tend to never have artificial sweeteners, I feel they are more toxic than plain old sugar lol

I do get regular migraines as well....usually the ocular is followed by a regular migraine. Winter weather also seems to trigger it, the cold, dry air.

Migraines run in my family. Both my mother and grandfather got them bad....my grandfather's trigger was chocolate. My mother used to be prescribed Fiorinal (spelling?) and she said they were very addictive...

Either way, I am going to speak to my doctor about maybe a prescription for migraines when they get really bad. I do find the glare from the computer makes it worse...and, of course, my job is being on the computer all day.
Sumatriptan has a very good success rate with migraines (not ocular tho).
Chocolate is a common trigger.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM

10,909 posts, read 19,155,831 times
Quote:
Yes that's a great idea, I'm going to order one for my computer...my boss won't mind, he has one too lol. Not for this reason but for sun glare on his screen lol.

Anyone also feel weird after one passes? I felt so out of the day after, almost like I was drunk
That's called postdrome, or migraine hangover. It's pretty common. I don't have that symptom, my migraines last three days and when they're gone I feel really good, almost euphoric, for a couple of hours.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:25 PM

5,821 posts, read 2,196,889 times
Op was speaking to "ocular Migraine" and never saw a link describing them.

As aLong suffering of Migraines.. I have to admit, my peripheral Vision suffered horribly, BUT my target caused was Always the combination of Hormones Levels and Atmospheric pressures ( sudden drops and sudden INCREASES) .. I've always been sensitive to lights ( especially bright ones) but they never caused me pain only temporary inability to see properly. In fact NIGHT Driving has always been a problem with dealing with HEADLIGHTS coming into my Face or HEADLIGHT blaring into my rearview mirror.. Thank Gawd for deflection ability to reduce the blindness they could have caused!! Also NO PAIN experienced.. JUST FEAR!!

Here's the description of "Ocular Migraine"

https://www.webmd.com/migraines-head...raine-basics#1

Comparing it to "Weather" related triggers.. ( as was my history) kind of explains why so many are suffering more and more with such rapid changes that have been happening the last few decades++

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...rigger-weather

Stepping back, I can only wish I had short period episodes of " Ocular Migraines"

Old 01-19-2018, 03:41 PM

671 posts, read 243,484 times
Quote:
I used to get them when I worked in a library, too, and looking at a screen all day.

The first time was freaky. I was working, and it was like I was starting to look through a waterfall. I quickly googled, and discovered what was causing it. I managed the 10 minute drive home before my vision totally deteriorated. I learned to see the signals sooner and get home faster.

I "prefer" them to the headaches I used to get, but they're annoying as all get out, because you can't do much more than sleep until they fade. Which for me was 3-4 hours.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:58 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,587,594 times
I had my first ocular migraine about 4 years ago; no history of any kind of migraine, heck I've never even had a headache in my life.

I get 4-5 ocular migraines a year now - classic pattern: no warning, no pain, no aftereffect. Begin with a blurry blind spot, then about 30 minutes of zig-zag blurring, always start on the left side of my field of vision and slowly move to the right before disappearing.

No pattern - food, weather, computer use, etc. - that I can detect tied to them. Doubtful they're hormonal, I'm 68 yo. They've happened while I'm reading, watching tv, riding in the car, puttering around the house, sitting on the porch watching the birds.

I'm having cataract surgery in both eyes next month, it'll be interesting to see if that changes anything. Doubt it, since they're not considered to be an "eye" thing. My optometrist and two ophthalmologists have all told me they're nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness