Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 03:21 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times

Advertisements

The second I start noticing that jaggedy line I take Aleve or Advil and can generally ward it off. Its usually half hour for me from noticing it to fill blown migraine so I have a short window to ingest meds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
My optometrist and two ophthalmologists have all told me they're nothing to worry about.
Well, yes and no. My doctor (GP) said that while the migraines themselves can't cause major issues, it does often indicate a higher risk for stroke. And for me, I also have a family history of stroke conditions, which makes my chances even worse. Not much I can do about that now (especially at age 41), but she did recommend keeping a close eye on my blood pressure and other warning signs - and maybe when I'm a little older, going on some sort of medication to decrease my risk factors.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Sumatriptan has a very good success rate with migraines (not ocular tho).
Chocolate is a common trigger.
I’ve actually had ocular side effects with sumatriptan. Actually, one of my friends was recently complaining too me too and I asked her if she’d taken one, and lo and behold, she had. I talked to a neurologist about it and she said it was not all that uncommon in an immediate release drug, but I always found that taking some Excedrin or BC powder and doing some exercise worked fine to get rid of the ocular migraines. Thankfully I haven’t gotten any in over a decade. I am guessing mine were probably weather/allergy related as I went on allergy medications right after that. I still get the non-ocular insta-migraine from weather, but I just take excedrin when I feel it coming on and am usually fine.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
I used to have ocular migraines. First, I would have the “aura”, which for me looked like clear, colorless, gelatinous blobs that floated across, & obscured my field of vision. Then, the pain would come, which was always a painful throbbing, in or behind my left eyeball...always the left eye only. It felt like I was being stabbed by a sharp object in my eye. Sometimes, the pain would spread to my left temple & forehead.

I remember being prescribed ergotamine, dissolved under the tongue...but I quit using it...it just gave me nausea to the point of dry heaves, which was already a problem. If possible, I usually just have to lay down in a quiet, dark room & wait it out. And after recovering from a bad migraine, like others, I often felt “out of it”.

BTW, my father also had bad migraines, so did my sister, so I always thought there was a genetic link.

My “triggers” were hormonal (right before my period), fluorescent lights, & computer screens...which wasn’t great, as I spent a good part of my workday in the office.

After menopause, the migraines stopped (only good thing about menopause).

Regarding Excedrin, I don’t know if it’s worth paying extra for, because the ingredients are aspirin, acetaminophen, which is the ingredient that Tylenol is made from, & caffeine. I never found Tylenol very useful for anything.

TBH, what gave me the most relief was just a little bit of marijuana, as in, a couple of hits of something very mild. I don’t know how you feel about marijuana, or if it’s legal where you live, but that is what worked best for me. Otherwise, I would take some black coffee & ibuprofen, which is the active ingredient in Advil & Motrin...that was hit or miss. Sometimes, scalp massage helped.

I had a friend whose boyfriend thought he had a brain tumor. After she described his symptoms, it sounded like migraine to me, but he had a lot of tests done, MRI, etc., & ended up with a dx of migraine & a huge medical bill.

One last thing...as I said, my ocular migraines were only in my left eye. A few years back, I experienced a retinal tear in my left eye. I was able to get medical intervention before it progressed to a completely detached retina & possible blindness. It was damn scary & I have always wondered if there was a relationship...just something for you to file away & have an awareness of in the future.

Good luck, I know they are awful.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:43 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,661 times
I have had them for 40 years and never figured out why. They are annoying but once I was driving and had to pull over. They last about 20 minutes and I only get them a couple of times a year. Often I need to have a short nap afterwards. I didn't know what they were until the internet came along. The last one I had was weird though, just as it was finishing, like they do, diminishing towards the 20 minute mark, another big one came along.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:58 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I have had them for 40 years and never figured out why. They are annoying but once I was driving and had to pull over. They last about 20 minutes and I only get them a couple of times a year. Often I need to have a short nap afterwards. I didn't know what they were until the internet came along. The last one I had was weird though, just as it was finishing, like they do, diminishing towards the 20 minute mark, another big one came along.
That's happened to me, too... I've had as many as 3-4 in a row, maybe separated by an hour at most. Usually when that happens, it was following a particularly bad night of sleep (I always have sleep issues). So at least in my case, that seems to be the trigger for multiple migraines. Also possibly caffeine withdrawal, since I do have a bit of a Diet Pepsi problem.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:12 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
I get ocular migraines a few times a year, and usually they are triggered by too strong coffee or too much computer work.
I find putting on sunglasses really helps with the visual distortion for the 20 minutes they last.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 AM

348 posts, read 255,916 times
I had migraines all my life beginning in my childhood. Symptoms including pain in one eye, aura, vomiting, numbness on one side of my body, and confusion in thinking and speaking. They stopped when I changed to a lower stress job.

The migraines started back 20 years later as ocular migraines. Mine are triggered by exercise and have occurred while hiking, running on a treadmill and cycling. They last about 30 minutes and I always feel slightly weird afterward.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:27 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
I'm having an ocular migraine right now. Mine isn't a total blind spot, but rather an area my right eye sees out-of-synch. It sooo hard to explain! I suffer from migraine headaches as well, and weather is my big trigger, and we have a doozy of a storm headed our way. It used to be hormonal, but I'm finally at an age where fluctuating hormones is not such an issue. I can feel the headache coming on as the ocular migraine fades--I've always thought of it as my warning, since I don't get a typical aura.

I think I probably get more ocular headaches than regular migraines now. I'm not sad about that!

Interestingly, in talking to my neurologist at my last appointment, I learned of a new treatment for migraine. A catheter is inserted through your nose to administer lidocaine on the ganglion nerve cluster behind the nose. It is an in-patient procedure and there are virtually no side-effects--it doesn't put you to sleep, acts immediately, and may last for days. My neurologist has just started offering it, and she said all patients so far have responded positively to the treatment. Anyway, I know it's off topic, but I just had to share!

Old 01-20-2018, 04:23 PM

348 posts, read 255,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post

Interestingly, in talking to my neurologist at my last appointment, I learned of a new treatment for migraine. A catheter is inserted through your nose to administer lidocaine on the ganglion nerve cluster behind the nose. It is an in-patient procedure and there are virtually no side-effects--it doesn't put you to sleep, acts immediately, and may last for days. My neurologist has just started offering it, and she said all patients so far have responded positively to the treatment. Anyway, I know it's off topic, but I just had to share!
Seems like this is pretty extreme treatment for a migraine sufferer. However, when I was diagnosed many years ago I read some people have 3-4 migraines a week which is debilitating. They could not work or have a normal life. I felt lucky that my migraines occurred only a few times a month. For people with crippling migraines this treatment might be a blessing.

Last edited by littlebebe; 01-20-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness