Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've learned to read my labs pretty well. If something is WAY out of line, then it's worth a visit to doc for their help, then I am willing to pay or not. If some readings/ranges are a bit out of line, then I do my research and work on getting into better ranges.

I'm one here who avoids drugs as best I can and so go to work with all that is out there to help ourselves.
Me, too. I avoid drugs as much as I can. I've been reviewing my lab results for decades. I'm not one to take medications doctors suggest w/o researching that on my own. And it's not like I have any medical conditions. As far as I know, I don't.

I'll be going to a different doctor this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
You can order your own lab-tests online, there are a ton of websites that let you directly order them:
https://www.google.com/search?num=10....0.WTBZAd0sHpE

This website will give you a pretty good idea of what your lab-test means: https://labtestsonline.org
Thanks. There are actually a couple of labs in town where I can go to get various kinds of blood work. But I'd have to pay, when in fact, my blood work has already been done and paid for!

But push come to shove, that's what I may do.

Being able to get your own blood work here has been this way for as long as I remember. I just moved back here after retiring, but decades ago, I remember going to the public lab to get a pregnancy test. No doctor involved. They did it, and sent me the results directly. No doctor. You could go and get any standard lab work done.

So wth???

Old 01-22-2018, 11:58 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Bottom line, doctors can make up their own regulations, some are more $$$ driven and others. You've heard that slogan: Profits Before People...well.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Bottom line, doctors can make up their own regulations, some are more $$$ driven and others. You've heard that slogan: Profits Before People...well.
I'm afraid that's the case.

The most I can do is lodge a complaint against them, since it IS against the law not to provide a patient with all their medical records, upon request.

But I'm stuck for the $65 the ins co didn't pay (as a result of how the dr did her paperwork, I guess). I'll pay that....I don't want any trouble. What are we to do.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Quote:
No. They can not. This is a violation of federal law, and can be reported to the Department of Health and Human Services at this site:

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-indivi...ers/index.html

Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Oh, I'm paying the $65. The ins. co. didn't, so I have to, it seems. Whatever.

My problem is with not getting my blood test lab results because they refuse to give them to me without another "exam" so they can discuss them or interpret them for me.

All patients have a right to their medical records, is my understanding. And in my state, in particular, there is a statute specifically saying that patients don't need a doctor's release to get blood test lab results.
Most doctor's offices (or whoever they are affiliated with) have online patient portals where lab results are are posted automatically. Now, SOMETIMES they delay posting the results online until the doctor has at least seen them which could be a catch here if they are saying something looks weird (even if it's nothing essential to actually discuss).

Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM

17,533 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Your doc is a money grubbing quack.

Pay the bill and find another doc.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Have you contacted your provider and told them about this? I would, because 65 x many, many people is a big deal. They are likely doing this to others as well.

Here is a link for how to report this. They will likely be able to help you regarding your tests too.

https://www.nhcaa.org/resources/heal...are-fraud.aspx

Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
No. They can not. This is a violation of federal law, and can be reported to the Department of Health and Human Services at this site:

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-indivi...ers/index.html
My MD is a one woman office, integrative MD, and she can help or not help a patient as she sees fit. She charges for an online script if a patient calls for one, say abx for something. If she knows the patient well and she knows her patients as it's not a huge assembly line practice. I thought I'd go for a call appt to discuss a couple lab numbers but decided not to as for the $125 fee for the phone consult. A friend talked me thru my concerns.

Her office sells a line of supplements and IF I wanted to get my thyroid meds from her I could, but they are more expensive than pharmacy. But I know I have that option.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:28 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm afraid that's the case.

The most I can do is lodge a complaint against them, since it IS against the law not to provide a patient with all their medical records, upon request.

But I'm stuck for the $65 the ins co didn't pay (as a result of how the dr did her paperwork, I guess). I'll pay that....I don't want any trouble. What are we to do.
You can actually call your insurance and ask to see how the doctor's office coded your visit. Different CPT codes correspond to different visits and also reflect the cost. If the doctor's office coded you for something that was other than the ACA covered preventative visit--then that's where the charge comes from.

According to the ACA, you get one wellness (two, for women, a physical and an OB-GYN wellness) visit free per year, no matter the insurance. It sounds like the initial, pre-holiday visit was coded as your one wellness visit. You should check to see if the second visit was coded (ie billed) as a follow up or an initial wellness visit. That could lower your 65 dollar rate--yes you haven't met your deductible, but insurance companies have contracts (for the most part) with the provider that indicates the discount, what insurance pays, and what goes back to you. Even when you haven't reached the deductible, there is more than likely an difference in pricing between what the office bills and what your insurance will pay--and that is what gets passed on to you. Again though...it goes back to what was coded.

Regardless, ALWAYS check--balance billing is illegal, no matter the state you are in.

Also, for those of you that are not utilizing your online portals--you really, really should. If you tend to use doctors through one hospital system, ALL your visits (wellness, specialty, labs, emergency) are linked through that portal. You can also see FULL bills and requested itemized (which contacts the codes and detail) bills, as well as labs, radiology, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness