Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 04:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm used to having the unpopular opinion in the room, so not many may agree with me, but remember the days when you got the flu and you KNEW it was the flu because it feels like nothing else, certainly not a cold, so you didn't need to go to the doctor to have it officially pronounced the flu, you went home and went to bed? Remember when there was no test, and the doctor couldn't do anything for it anyway, so you went home and went to bed? Remember when there was no Tamiflu, so instead of going to the doctor and then to the pharmacy, spreading your germs all along the way, you just went home and went to bed because there was nothing else to be done and you felt too miserable to do anything else anyway? And remember how that action actually helped contain the spread of the infection? I happen to think all this running around town with a highly infectious and contagious airborne disease is absolute madness, not to mention that you could not only spread, but catch something else in all these places. Does society require enforced quarantines again?

Absolutely, today there is a test for everything...even IF someone has the flu. We knew when we had a flu or a cold or a stomach upset etc....but today more money and drugs for everything. Absurd to me as I've seen it all from going home and sleeping etc etc and staying down until one is better. It worked.

And all these "new" create more complicated health insurance guidelines and much much higher insurance rates that is a constant bone of contention from so many.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-22-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
But in the absence of common sense... I can't find ANYONE in real life who agrees that you SHOULDN'T run to the doctor and then to the pharmacy when you are most infectious and then back to work or shopping or games, etc. long before you're over it because you're "taking medicine." That's how brainwashed people are now, and that's pretty scary.
Yes brainwashed.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:12 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Take it up with the employers who expect people to be at work whether they are sick or not.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Take it up with the employers who expect people to be at work whether they are sick or not.

Agreed that this plays a huge role in people going out when sick. When your employer is not understanding and your job is on the line, you're kind of stuck with having to go out, even if you'd much rather stay home in bed and actually have a chance to recover.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:03 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Stay home.
Rest,hydrate.
You get one life.
Care for it.

By no means am I a germaphobe. I take seriously though when active with a condition to be mindful of not spreading it.

I worked with a lady that wore a face mask and change her gloves constantly. She swore by that safety. I thought her a bit much as it gave the statement that she is pure and others are not. When she caught a stomach bug it was world war three who gave it to her. I said...probably some secret santa..so she could heeve ho hoo!

Old 01-22-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There is nothing good about going to work when sick, no one wins.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Guess I didn't get the memo. I rarely get colds and it's been years since I had the flu - even if I did I wouldn't think of going to the doctor for either. I guess Tamiflu just isn't top of mind for me since it wasn't even around the last time I had the flu.

So yes, I'd stay home if I felt that bad - maybe one stop at the drugstore since my "remedies" are likely all expired by now.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
I agree that here is not much a doctor can do about the flu once it sets in. I had it and it kept me down for 10 days. I went to the doctor a week later because even though I felt okay my breathing was not good. I got an inhaler and it worked great.
If you are lucky enough to get an appointment with a doctor within the first 2 days of the flu they can give you something lessens the intensity of it. Even if I had thought about that there was no way I could even get myself to a doctors office, let alone stand for any period of time. Plus I would have spread my germs.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:28 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I imagine a lot of the doctor visits are for children and babies by parents who can't diagnose it for them. Children and elderly are also higher risk, and may need more intervention than just sleep. They can become dehydrated and/or run critically high fever. But yes, I remember staying home with the flu. My mom had to care for the boys because I just slept for 24 hrs straight.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Nearly 80 deaths in Indiana alone. How many more before we realize how truly stupid the current MO is and that it actually spreads the disease? Why is this course of action being encouraged (other than to make doctors and pharmacies richer)? Tamiflu isn't even proven effective. I'm not seriously proposing a quarantine, but it seems to me PSAs should encourage people to isolate themselves rather than advise the opposite.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Three tiers of trials and the FDA approval process prove Tamiflu is effective for use as directed or it would not have been approved to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness