Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:17 PM

492 posts, read 631,216 times

Advertisements

I had a fall in 2010. Had to have surgery on my knee to clean out what had broken off. Pain just kept getting worse. I had a shot of cortisone earlier this month. It did help for about a week. I tried walking today but after 4 blocks it hurt so bad I was ready to quit. My Doc said my knee was bone on bone and I needed a replacement but the insurance company wants the shots done first. He said that he would be seeing me again and he hoped the shot would work but he didn't think it would for long. I am like you OP. I could have been on my way to recovering if I had had the surgery which I am now ready for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:28 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
I had a shot before my meniscus surgery in 2001, and it lasted about 4 days before I stepped wrong, and the pain came back. I had the surgery to remove the bits and pieces that were in the knee and the torn portion cartilage. I hurt less walking out of the hospital than I had in months, and haven't had any pain since. No popping noises, no grinding, just pain free walking.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I had a shot before my meniscus surgery in 2001, and it lasted about 4 days before I stepped wrong, and the pain came back. I had the surgery to remove the bits and pieces that were in the knee and the torn portion cartilage. I hurt less walking out of the hospital than I had in months, and haven't had any pain since. No popping noises, no grinding, just pain free walking.

You are fortunate on the no knee pain etc...and I'm sure this all depends on how advanced the knee issue was and the person's age etc....I keep thinking of my friend who did a knee replacement at 86, she's now 91 and doing real good she says. The surgeon even "fixed" her knock knee issue.

The surgeon who gave me HA injections and worked on my knee when I was in my early 60's would be the one I'd go to for "replacement" but I KNOW if he pushed cortisone due to insurance reasons, I'd have to say no, they just are NOT the answer.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

For me the first one lasted 5.5 months. It was a miracle for me. Nothing at first then after about four days, I felt 15 years younger. When it wore off, the second one did nothing. I had surgery just before thanksgiving and am waiting to see how much improvement i end up with. surgery is less of a magic transformation, but it allows you to slowly rebuild strength and flexibility where it was too painful to do so before. How well it works will depend on how hard I work at it. I need to work harder.
What type of surgery to your knee did you have and what was done inside the knee during the surgery?

Old 01-24-2018, 06:25 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
I had the same issue as you did have to play the "Insurance games" before they will approve surgery my MRI showed nothing. I would improve over several days then I would be walking and all of sudden the knee would lock up and pain was terrible I would hobble to my car and leave work early it was my left knee I could still drive each time he would inject it pain would go away then come back. I had to complain to my insurance company that I still had pain they told my doctor to try hydrocodone for a month see how that works one wonders why so many are addicted now. I eventually got the surgery turned out to be a flap folding back into the joint intermittently causing it to jam the knee. If the injections are not working probably going to need surgery.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
It's truly amazing about all these expensive injections, and they are that when bills show up with this and that charge and copays etc...and they don't do a darn thing, a little relief for a short while maybe. These people know all that too, they inject people all day in their offices. MOST people I believe feel surgery is a last resort so try to hold off as long as possible for major intervention.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:16 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,048,631 times
I had two cortisone injections 3 months apart for a torn meniscus. This was 3 years ago and I've had no further problems.

Sometimes when I turn a certain way my knee "catches" and it's painful but this doesn't last more than a second.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:37 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
An Orthopedic doc did an injection in my left knee because I have a torn meniscus. I really wanted the surgery but he insisted insurance requires we do injections first. The injection was done 12/20/2017 and I was pleasantly surprised that the pain I had been experiencing was gone within a couple of days. What a relief!! Right? Well-the pain has returned. Began again a few days ago. I'm going to call the doc back tomorrow but meanwhile was curious if anyone else has had the injection -what results did you have?
The reason I had insisted on the surgery was for this very reason. If I had had the surgery I would already be a month into recovery. I considered the injection to be a Band-Aid temporary solution. I think I was correct

I had a torn meniscus, in fact it was a double bucket-handle meniscus tear, also in my left knee. This was a work-related injury, & the workers comp agency was actually very cooperative, but it was the “doctor” who seemed to have the issue...he apparently had some issues with workers comp, but that had nothing to do with me.

He gave me a cortisone shot, which helped for about a week, then, at the “doctor’s” insistence, I went to PT, which made it worse.

At that point, I had enough & went to a well-respected orthopedic group in “the city” & within 2 weeks had the surgery. This was EIGHT MONTHS after the initial injury, and I had been in extreme pain all that time. Because the injury was worsened, it took another 4 months to heal, plus the way I had to compensate walking exacerbated my sciatica. If the first idiot doctor had just done the surgery, I wouldn’t have lost about a year of my life hobbling around in pain & unable to work.

The ortho doc who did the surgery explained to me that the meniscus has very little blood circulation, therefore frequently doesn’t heal well on its own, especially as we age.

I’m very relieved & glad that I had the surgery. After that extended healing period following the successful surgery, my knee is OK and free of pain.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 01-25-2018 at 02:48 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
An Orthopedic doc did an injection in my left knee because I have a torn meniscus. I really wanted the surgery but he insisted insurance requires we do injections first. The injection was done 12/20/2017 and I was pleasantly surprised that the pain I had been experiencing was gone within a couple of days. What a relief!! Right? Well-the pain has returned. Began again a few days ago. I'm going to call the doc back tomorrow but meanwhile was curious if anyone else has had the injection -what results did you have?
The reason I had insisted on the surgery was for this very reason. If I had had the surgery I would already be a month into recovery. I considered the injection to be a Band-Aid temporary solution. I think I was correct
you are right it is a band aid or to me that is what it is. Normally it is said the shots can last for months in some cases, but normally regardless of how long, they do work. It is when they stop working it is time to think surgery. I had knee replacement about 3 years ago. I tried 2 or 3 types of shots, including cortisone. After a year or so of discomfort I did have knee replacement and have never regretted it. In your case, it sounds like you will not have total replacement. good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:20 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
It varies from time to time, but I think you can have them every 3 months, so make an appt. for March.
Mine are for arthritis, though, so not sure if this makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness