U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 09:32 PM

164 posts, read 87,830 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I need to buy a new mattress and bed. However, I haven't bought a new mattress and bed in a very long time. My question is, what is considered to be just a normal, regular or standard mattress type? I looked on the MattressFirm website and they have many different mattress types. The types they have are as follows:
-innerspring
-memory foam
-gel memory foam
-hybrid
-pocketed coil
-pillow top
-euro top

To make things more complicated, they also have categories of comfort as follows:
-extra firm
-firm
-medium
-plush
-ultra plush

If I wanted to go into a physical store and select one more by what "feels the best to me", what characteristics or metrics should I look for?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:44 PM

19,350 posts, read 51,968,938 times
I personally love my Tempurpedic and think it and the pillow are the most comfortable I have ever had! However, some people think they feel too hot. I prefer a firmish mattress, which is what it is. I think you need to go lie down on some in the store to see what you prefer.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:34 AM

15,266 posts, read 4,812,883 times
I absolutely love my Sleep Number double bed. I have it now over 7 yrs I think and bought the no bells and whistles to keep price down, have my own toppers to soften the top and it's the closest thing in my mind to sleeping on water. I've had waterbeds years ago and best sleep and less back pain than ever. With advanced aging arthritis is advancing so it all goes together. But I sleep so good on my bed. I sleep very alone and double is more space than I need but did not want twin size for sure. Sleeping on hard firm mattress does not work for my body.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:18 PM

2,674 posts, read 960,440 times
I own a spring mattress with a gel pillow top. Beauty rest recharge in a firm. Great bed and investment!

Find you preffered size and firmness, then think about your budget, dont fall for the latest fad.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:30 PM

3,779 posts, read 6,039,584 times
Everyone is different. There are several sites that seek to educate buyers on mattresses and give good insight on a mattress that would be best for them.

Try to find a seller who allows a return or exchange.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 PM

33 posts, read 10,815 times
You have to be careful with mattress review sites because a lot of them are paid commissions on the referral of sales. I think these days most people are going with memory foam mattresses because the price point has gotten much more reasonable compared to the days when you could only get a tempurpedic. I have been doing my own research lately and am narrowing my search. Right now I am leaning towards a online mattress brand called Silk + Snow (www.silkandsnow.com). The silver infused cover sounds pretty cool and I like that the cover is easy to zip off for washing. Has anyone bought one and can share their experiences?

Old 02-06-2018, 05:05 PM

14,231 posts, read 14,394,172 times
Check for bedbugs, yes, even on new mattresses!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM

412 posts, read 191,362 times
Most people will have a different opinion on what to look for in a good mattress. Some like memory foam, but others will say those are too hot, or not firm enough. Personally I love a good memory foam, or a cozy pillow top, but it's not firm enough for my husband. He bought us a Purple mattress which he absolutely loves, while for me it isn't as cozy and soft as I'd like. It's hard to know what would be a perfect mattress for you. The best advice is to go to a bed store and lay on mattresses and find which one feels the best for you.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 PM

5,041 posts, read 12,321,721 times
Most mattresses within a "brand" all have the same "firmness"...it's just that some have more padding on the top. "Plush" or "pillow top" are the same underneath the padding.....it's just that the top of the mattress has more "fluff" on top of it. It's all about what feels good to you.

You need to lie on the mattresses you're thinking about trying....roll around. Lie on your sides, back, tummy...however you sleep! Spend some time on it! Don't just lie on your back, if that's not how you sleep! Move around on it!

Old 02-10-2018, 07:34 PM

15,266 posts, read 4,812,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Most mattresses within a "brand" all have the same "firmness"...it's just that some have more padding on the top. "Plush" or "pillow top" are the same underneath the padding.....it's just that the top of the mattress has more "fluff" on top of it. It's all about what feels good to you.

You need to lie on the mattresses you're thinking about trying....roll around. Lie on your sides, back, tummy...however you sleep! Spend some time on it! Don't just lie on your back, if that's not how you sleep! Move around on it!
One can't tell too much by lying in the bed in the store, the test is at home and going for a night's sleep.

Some of my BEST painless night's sleep for my back were on waterbeds back in the 70-80"s and the sleep number is the closest "air".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or