Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:41 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,856,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Why does a snack for an elderly person always need to be healthy? They have lived long enough to be able to down a few bags of chips now and then. Grapes are also a fantastic idea. Who thinks of grapes as healthy? They're just delicious, sweet and overlooked in places like rehab.
I totally agree. My own selection for snacks would be chips and dip (there are so many kinds these days from pita chips and humus to different varieties of kale, spiced or not, to potato to plaintian), or even mini pigs in a blanket made with lil smokies for a heartier fare. Also cubes of nice cheese (Trader Joes has a good selection that is well priced) and crackers...
(I dont tend to like sweets myself).
I suggested healthy, and I think a lot of posters did too, because that was the request of the OP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 12:46 PM

128,516 posts, read 11,871,550 times
A spinach frittata, cut into inch cubes. healthy, as it has both veg & protein & very tasty when you add cheese. grape tomatoes & cubed melons too. Provide toothpicks for the fruits, so the fingers don't get wet & mess up the cards/game parts.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,745,284 times
Hummus and baby carrots, celery...

Old 01-27-2018, 01:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hummus and baby carrots, celery...
Our bridge groups did a lot of hummus and salsa and guacomole dips. TJ's has great dips.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:23 PM

12,696 posts, read 14,836,280 times
Thanks so much again guys for your ideas & as I said 2 pages back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I appreciate your posts guys!

This is for my mom to bring to her Scrabble group at the community center, so she wants just a little something they can eat with one hand while playing the game.

I don't know what she ended up bringing. I just came back from doing errands and she's been gone too and I haven't talked to her again yet.

I'll definitely tell her your ideas for next time!
Regarding why food for the elderly always has to be healthy...because my mom is a real health nut. She doesn't eat salt or sugar really on anything, never eats beef or pork, never smoke, drank, etc. in her life & she's a spry 79 y.o. who goes walking 5-7 days/wk & plans to live many, many more yrs. She doesn't wane or take a break from her diet really, so she's not going to bring something she won't eat herself.

I'm personally for the elderly getting to have a little treat sometimes, but my mom thinks differently & if they want to eat junk on their own time, my mom's not going to promote it.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-27-2018 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 PM

7,673 posts, read 5,399,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, if this is for a group of people, you really think they want to sit around and eat carrot sticks?
Older people are just like anyone else; if they're together at some kind of event they want to have some enjoyment. One teeny bag of corn chips or potato chips isn't going to hurt most people. A candy bar would be something I'd consider unhealthy for most people and especially for older people who are more likely to have diabetes.

Besides, a good percentage of older people have lactose intolerance and won't be able to eat any cheese. I'm all for letting them have some fun. Even at senior centers, the meals feature something for fun, like individual ice cream cups for those who can tolerate dairy or a piece of pie.
Since when is fruit not fun?

Salty, processed snacks are not good for older people (or younger people, either). High sodium contributes to all sorts of health problems. Many elderly have hypertension.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...lood-pressure/

High sodium is also bad for diabetics.

Cutting Back on Sodium: American Diabetes Association®

Senior Center meals include sweet desserts either because bakeries and grocery stores often donate these items and because they are cheap and easy to make. Sheet cakes, for example, are extremely inexpensive, as are cupcakes.

We have only dined at the senior center a few times, but when we did the first desserts to go were the fruit cups. There were never enough to go around.

I suggest unsalted nuts as well as fruit if the budget allows.

My daily snack lately is fresh carrot sticks (not so-called "baby carrots" but organic carrots cut into strips), served with smooth hummus.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,511,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Since when is fruit not fun?

Salty, processed snacks are not good for older people (or younger people, either). High sodium contributes to all sorts of health problems. Many elderly have hypertension.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...lood-pressure/

High sodium is also bad for diabetics.

Cutting Back on Sodium: American Diabetes Association®

Senior Center meals include sweet desserts either because bakeries and grocery stores often donate these items and because they are cheap and easy to make. Sheet cakes, for example, are extremely inexpensive, as are cupcakes.

We have only dined at the senior center a few times, but when we did the first desserts to go were the fruit cups. There were never enough to go around.

I suggest unsalted nuts as well as fruit if the budget allows.

My daily snack lately is fresh carrot sticks (not so-called "baby carrots" but organic carrots cut into strips), served with smooth hummus.
True. And it depends upon the group of people. Many can't eat dairy, so that would be unhealthy. Many can't eat salt or fried foods. A lot of sugar isn't healthy. Once the OP specified that it was for a Scrabble group, we were able to understand that they wanted healthy finger foods for a group of seniors who are sitting around a table, are probably somewhat active, and are probably mostly women. I eat carrot sticks with hummus and I eat baked chips with guacamole.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:59 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,232,704 times
Pimento cheese stuffed celery sticks. They can be cut shorter.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:08 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,497,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
box of cigarettes and a macdonald happy meal

Wait, you forgot the bottle of gin! And only the good stuff...in a plastic bottle.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,121,287 times
One solution would be to suggest they bring their own sack lunch. "Brown bag"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness