U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:48 AM

32,807 posts, read 38,247,144 times

Advertisements

Going off your BP medications can be dangerous, i'd speak with your doctor of your concerns.
In the mean time you can do some minor experimentation on where your BP goes if you stop your meds for a day, normal? try 2 days etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 06:15 AM

5,291 posts, read 2,784,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There are several completely different classes of hypertensive drugs, each type working in different ways to reduce BP. Your doctor will make a choice based a lot of other factors, including age, weight, diet, activity level, genetic predisposition. And the doctor may change it several times, according to how you respond.
Yes, it's the fact that there's so many different types of BP meds that I am asking.
I like doing my research before a doctor recommends a drug, and getting people's opinions who've had a lot of experience with these drugs is valuable.
My husband just takes whatever his doc recommends -- I'm not so trusting, as I've had some bad experiences.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 PM

1,156 posts, read 547,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I like doing my research before a doctor recommends a drug, and getting people's opinions who've had a lot of experience with these drugs is valuable.
Your doctor has already done that research for you, and has years of experience with their patients taking those drugs--no one else has better knowledge that that, certainly not random people on the internet.

But, sure, trust random internet strangers rather than someone trained and educated in the health field if you want--just remember that random people on the internet don't actually know what they're talking about, that their bodies, genetics, and lifestyles are completely different than yours, and what works for them may or may not work for you.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:34 AM

9,799 posts, read 9,012,672 times
Thanks for the responses. the impression that I got from my doctor was that I'd be on the meds for life. I think that's probably the case, but I was wondering if there were any people who (under medical advice) weaned themselves off the meds. I guess I just tire of having all of these pills to take.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 AM

6,619 posts, read 6,419,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thanks for the responses. the impression that I got from my doctor was that I'd be on the meds for life. I think that's probably the case, but I was wondering if there were any people who (under medical advice) weaned themselves off the meds. I guess I just tire of having all of these pills to take.
I've seen it reduced since the systolic fell between 120 and 140. The ultimate guide will be the blood pressure. You have to measure at least twice a day everyday. The doctor is only following the standard guidelines. The most recent guidelines are more stringent.

2017 Guideline for High Blood Pressure in Adults - American College of Cardiology

Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 PM

2,450 posts, read 4,470,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My cousin very strictly followed the Joel Fuhrman nutritarian diet and dropped her blood pressure from 160/100 to around 120/75. I recommend all of Dr. Fuhrman's books, especially Eat to Live and The End of Heart Disease.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/learn/libr...strative-cases

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...70Vqtu1kZPI3_l

I think the most effective approach is a combination of a strict diet combined with exercise. I believe exercises like Qigong and Tai Chi that empahsize deep relaxed breathing are the most effective for lowering blood pressure.

Here is a link to a previous post about nutitional supplements and blood pressure.

Lowering BP without meds

Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 AM

2,450 posts, read 4,470,195 times
The March 2018 issue of Life Extension magazine has a very interesting article on "Around the Clock Blood Pressure Control".

Around-the-Clock Blood-Pressure Control - Life Extension

Old 06-06-2018, 02:30 AM
'M'

1,762 posts, read 2,465,732 times
Riaelise....Try this:

The American Heart Association recommends 3500 to 4700 mg of natural potassium daily. If you are over 50, go with the higher amount. Potassium lowers blood pressure naturally. Emergency Room treatments often include potassium IV's. This July, food processors will need to add potassium content to their labels. Be sure to start reading labels now for potassium content. Some companies have already started doing that. Better yet, shoot for fresh vegetables and fruits instead of canned or frozen. The problem with canned or frozen is they often have hidden, high sodium content.

First, before starting your potassium experiment, mention this to your doctor....tell him American Heart Association recommends 3500 to 4700 mg of potassium per day. Ask if this would be ok for you to give the natural food sourced potassium a try. Make sure he understands you aren't going off your meds....just yet, without discuss with him further. Show him the list of these veggies and fruits so he understands this isn't some strange diet.

Don't stop any blood pressure medication(s) you have been taking. Check your blood pressure every day while doing this experiment.

However, it is possible to have too much of a good thing. To make sure that you don't overdose on potassium, it is best to get your daily potassium from natural sources (fruit, vegetables and other foods) and avoid taking supplements.

Which types of food contain a lot of potassium? Most people know that bananas have a high potassium content. Almonds, however, contain twice as much potassium as the same amount of banana.

Natural potassium from fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and other food sources, like salmon, is preferable to a supplement. An increased * natural food-sourced * potassium to your daily diet not only helps to prevent an initial stroke, but also reduces the risk of further strokes.

As an experiment, google "how potassium lowers blood pressure". There is a lot of useful information resulting from that google search.

Here is a partial list of higher potassium fruits and vegetable. Note: USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28.

Sweet Potato, 1 cup cubes, 448 mg potassium
Zucchini, 1 med, 96 grams in weight, 512 mg potassium
.....zucchini is good spiralized and served with a no salt tomato puree and fresh herbs, a little Asiago cheese
.....almost better than pasta served as described above. I usually eat a medium zucchini this way.
Fresh beets, 1 cup,
White potato
Cilantro is high in potassium, I eat a lot of it, in salads as a "green"
....but don't substitute parsley because parsley is very low in potassium
Cilantro, 1/2 cup or 8 grams, 41.6 mg potassium
White beans, 1 cup, 829 mg potassium
(same with lentils)
Black beans, 1 cup, 2,760mg potassium
Parsnips, 1 cup, 572 mg potassium
Tomato puree, low sodium only, 1/2 cup, 549 mg potassium
Banana, 1 medium, 422 mg potassium
Organic dried apricots, no sulphur, 1/2 cup, 755 mg
Organic dried mango, no sulphur,
Avocado, 1 cup cubes, 727 mg potassium
Dried prunes, 1/4 cup, 349 mg potassium
Salmon, 6 oz filet, 1,068 mg potassium
Cantaloupe, 1 cup cubes, 473 mg potassium
Golden Raisins, 1/4 cup, 307 mg potassium
Dried almonds, 1/4 cup, 211 mg potassium

Also, sodium max for the day is 1500mg...per American Heart Assoc. Are you eating lots of frozen and/or processed foods? Start reading the labels on EVERYTHING. Shoot for under 1500 mg a day. If you do eat salt, add a small pinch of salt when you serve your meal. Sodium adds up very quickly from frozen meals, fast food (even salads due to the dressing and the "crunchies" on the salad), bagels, bread. I found a Pepperidge Farm whole grain bread (forget what it's called exactly)...read the labels until you find a bread that's lower in sodium. The lowest seems to be around 100 to 200 mg sodium per serving. Some bread is 2-3 times as high as that. If you can get Rudi's bread, there is a high fiber bread with lower sodium.

About me...I don't do well on chemical medications. Too many side effects for me. I'm 70 years old, female, and when my provider wanted to put me on BP meds for high normal blood pressure readings, I got busy and researched natural treatments. That was 5 years ago. There are at least several books written by medical doctors that discuss using magnesium for high blood pressure. It works for many. To date, I am not taking any prescription meds for anything. My doctor isn't terribly impressed with what I'm doing, but medical doctors only know how to write prescriptions. As a rule, they don't encourage holistic, natural treatments for anything, unless they are a functional or integrative doctor who specializes in many treatment modalities, not just prescriptions.

It's late...need to get to bed. If I see tomorrow that I left anything else out, I'll do another post. Personally, I use a lot of different holistic treatments. They work very well for me. I control my "high normal" blood pressure with 400 mg of magnesium glycinate every day or every other day. I've been increasing my natural potassium, too, lately. When I eat a diet of mostly fresh vegetables and fresh fruit, and most importantly, no processed food this also keeps my blood pressure numbers on the low side.

Last edited by 'M'; 06-06-2018 at 03:14 AM..

Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 AM

2,001 posts, read 701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Yeah, I did. I was on hypertensives for about 15 years, but I could never take them every day, because it would suddenly plunge to maybe 80/40, while otherwise maintaining about 125. Dr. tried several strategies, but couldn't get it regulated. At my age (75), my doc set my upper limit at 140, because he felt that the risk of heart issues was less threatening than the risk of blacking out from LBP, or POTS and falling and breaking a hip. So I got in the habit of taking a pill only when my systolic went over 145 on two consecutive days, and guess what? For the past four months, that has never happened, and I haven't taken a BP pill in four months. My systolics have stabilized around 130, unmedicated..
Now four months later, I have still taken no drugs at all, still stable at 130. Occasionallhy it drops to about 110 for a day, but then goes back up to 130 again. I think once or twice it went to maybe 150, but back down a little later.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:08 AM

26,186 posts, read 16,866,580 times
No, have your potassium checked, and add some if your low, or IF your doctor prescribes it.

Having postassium too high causes heart attacks and other fun stuff.

(Mine just came in too high, but it is probably a mis-test)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness