U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:23 AM

8,845 posts, read 8,223,064 times

Advertisements

About 18 months ago, I was diagnosed with hypertension. It runs in my family on both sides and at the time I was obese. I'm not going to sugar coat things - my obesity in all likelihood caused an earlier onset of a congenital condition. Other family members weren't diagnosed prior to age 60. At that moment I realized that I needed to make a lifestyle change if I wanted to be there for my children. I wasn't getting any younger and things weren't going to get easier. So one day I decided that I was ready to lose weight. Eventually I lost 70 lbs. My numbers improved across the board; however, my blood pressure didn't seem to change. If i didn't take the medication, I would probably have a stroke. In fact, my doctor had to prescribe an additional med - a diuretic HCTZ - in order to finally get my pressure to 120/80. (Before that, I was 140/95, down from 180/110).

I've been on these meds now for a while. I exercise a lot (cardio and weights) and follow a pretty decent diet (eat a lot of whole grains, lean meats, veggies, etc.) Despite all of the major changes to my body and life, my pressure is still high and I'm dependent on meds. That's why I don't think that losing weight necessarily helped with my pressure. Of course, I'm glad that I did, but once you're hypertensive, the weight loss didn't really change anything. I'm wondering though if the medicine can be tapered off or something due to these lifestyle changes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:29 AM

9,839 posts, read 17,649,842 times
Ask your doctor!

Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 AM

12,129 posts, read 3,692,864 times
Getting to that 120/80 is very unrealistic as we age especially. Our BP varies every second of the day. Celery is a good food that works to lower BP.

I'm 79 and probably on the 2 meds I take for about 10 yrs now. I have no plans to go off as they seem to work fine and I'm NEVER at 120/80.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 AM

749 posts, read 338,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm wondering though if the medicine can be tapered off or something due to these lifestyle changes?
Mine is well controlled with meds, but every couple of years, my doctor says hey, your blood pressure is so good, lets try it without meds, and my blood pressure zooms right back up. I don't know why she even bothers to try.

I've never been overweight and have had high BP since my early 30s. Currently weigh 114 pounds, and still have hypertension.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:14 PM

7,947 posts, read 886,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Ask your doctor!
This. Understand, no one on cd can recommend changes to your medication. Your MD might consider it but why bother? If you have hypertension, you have it. Don't mess with something that's working for you.

I am happy to have my anti-hypertensive med...usually 120/70 or lower...so the med is fulfilling it's purpose.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:41 PM

4,211 posts, read 5,294,834 times
Book an appointment with your doctor and find out what the answer is. Don't mess around with HBP.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:18 PM

19,066 posts, read 50,750,449 times
Some people have congenital hypertension. Google it. Not much you can do.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:28 AM

14,998 posts, read 27,900,334 times
My husband had a high blood pressure "incident" not quite a year ago. He had been having HBP for a while. After the incident we went to a holistic practitioner who gave us a list of supplements and other nutritionals to take. After about 5 months he weaned himself off the meds and is fine now. Reducing stress levels helped also.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:21 AM

11,856 posts, read 9,042,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
About 18 months ago, I was diagnosed with hypertension. It runs in my family on both sides and at the time I was obese. I'm not going to sugar coat things - my obesity in all likelihood caused an earlier onset of a congenital condition. Other family members weren't diagnosed prior to age 60. At that moment I realized that I needed to make a lifestyle change if I wanted to be there for my children. I wasn't getting any younger and things weren't going to get easier. So one day I decided that I was ready to lose weight. Eventually I lost 70 lbs. My numbers improved across the board; however, my blood pressure didn't seem to change. If i didn't take the medication, I would probably have a stroke. In fact, my doctor had to prescribe an additional med - a diuretic HCTZ - in order to finally get my pressure to 120/80. (Before that, I was 140/95, down from 180/110).

I've been on these meds now for a while. I exercise a lot (cardio and weights) and follow a pretty decent diet (eat a lot of whole grains, lean meats, veggies, etc.) Despite all of the major changes to my body and life, my pressure is still high and I'm dependent on meds. That's why I don't think that losing weight necessarily helped with my pressure. Of course, I'm glad that I did, but once you're hypertensive, the weight loss didn't really change anything. I'm wondering though if the medicine can be tapered off or something due to these lifestyle changes?
You need to speak to your doctor. Please don't stop taking the meds without medical consult. You said yourself you can have a stroke without the meds so why on earth would you even think about stopping them? Congratulations on losing 70 pounds! That's quite an accomplishment!

Old 02-01-2018, 11:44 AM

553 posts, read 157,121 times
I was on Blood pressure meds for years. I also drank alcohol every day. I had an event early last year and my bp jumped up to about 145/90. I was transported to the ER and got stabilized. I spent 28 days in rehab and have been alcohol free for about 5 months. I have not taken Bp meds in about 2 weeks and my Bp was 114/62 just now. For me, alcohol was and is a death sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness