U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 12:29 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,572,971 times

Advertisements

I have read a number of times that one should be careful about being exposed to too many x-rays. Does this include body scans? Those body scans have a different name, I know, but I am sorry that I cannot think of the proper name. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM

549 posts, read 908,530 times
CT scans also involve radiation. Some places advertise full-body preventative screening type exams. Is that what you are referring to? If so, yes, they do use low-dose radiation. One probably won't do anything, but one every year might, or one along with a history of multiple x-rays over your lifetime could cause cancer.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:21 AM

14,415 posts, read 4,363,855 times
Radiation is Radiation. I've even started declining mouth xrays about 8 yrs ago. While in the hospital for knee issue, which turned out to be staph infection, the team of 5 "smart" doctors must have sent me down to the xray dept every day and they probably did about 50 xrays over the 5 days. Infection was detected by an MRI after 2.5 months of damage to my knee. That's a whole other story.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-02-2018 at 10:55 AM..

Old 02-02-2018, 10:31 AM

Thank you, both. Jaminhealth, that is exactly what happened to me. The same scans and chest xrays. Plus, six months before a chest xray and CT scan, neither of which even related to why I was there in ER. There's another thread going about this. So, I'll let it rest here. Only say that in the past year I have had three chest xrays and at least two CT scans. That is not good. I shall try avoiding them hereafter but my new dentist is going to want them. Well, at my age, maybe it will work out all right.

Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:44 AM

11,866 posts, read 13,807,259 times
chest x-rays or dental x-rays expose you to very little radiation (especially dental x-rays) so I wouldn't be concerned at all getting them...even multiple images.
Cat scans though are another story...it's good to keep track of your radiation exposure, as the Docs don't seem to care about that....so do it for yourself.
Here is a list (scroll down for great list) of different radiation exposures for different diagnostic tests.
https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/inf...pg=safety-xray

Old 02-05-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
chest x-rays or dental x-rays expose you to very little radiation (especially dental x-rays) so I wouldn't be concerned at all getting them...even multiple images.
Cat scans though are another story...it's good to keep track of your radiation exposure, as the Docs don't seem to care about that....so do it for yourself.
Here is a list (scroll down for great list) of different radiation exposures for different diagnostic tests.
https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/inf...pg=safety-xray

Thank you!

Old 02-06-2018, 05:57 PM

4,199 posts, read 10,005,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you, both. Jaminhealth, that is exactly what happened to me. The same scans and chest xrays. Plus, six months before a chest xray and CT scan, neither of which even related to why I was there in ER. There's another thread going about this. So, I'll let it rest here. Only say that in the past year I have had three chest xrays and at least two CT scans. That is not good. I shall try avoiding them hereafter but my new dentist is going to want them. Well, at my age, maybe it will work out all right.

Thanks again.
We are all exposed to radiation every day just by breathing, being outside and inside homes (radon)

Depending on the elevation at which you live you may also be exposed to more radiation depending on how high above sea level you live

If you fly frequently you are exposed to even more radiation.

On average humans are exposed to around 300 mrems of radiation per year not counting medical procedures

A typical chest x ray adds about 10 mrems, dental x rays about 1.5 mrems

As others have mentioned CT scans are significantly higher on the scale of radiation exposure.

You definitely should not worry about dental x rays.....

Old 02-07-2018, 07:47 AM

1,309 posts, read 525,754 times
I don't worry about dental x-rays, it's not much in the grand scheme. CT scans, sure, if you were having them often

Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I don't worry about dental x-rays, it's not much in the grand scheme. CT scans, sure, if you were having them often
Three in six months? And, one of those I think was more than a simple CT scan. Hard to describe it except that it took much longer and got quite warm near the end. Head was protected from it. The other two were faster, almost like x-raying in that they didn't take long.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:23 AM

14,415 posts, read 4,363,855 times
Personally, I make my own decisions about xrays radiation and the less the best in my life NOW. I had my share and this last round of daily xrays on my knee area, good grief. Just HOPE I can stay away from doctors, more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or