U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,785,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically when I drive at night I find it harder to see than I use to, and I have to drive slower, cause I'm afraid I'm going to something or afraid a car might come out of the dark, that I won't see coming since I feel my sight of distance isn't as good.

I guess I could go do the doctor about it, but I'm worried, is it just matter of something happening when one gets older? I'm in my early 30s now.
your vision might have changed. go to dr asap. I too discovered I needed glasses when I was 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 11:37 AM

17,120 posts, read 5,470,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wish everyone had your attitude. I have worked my entire career in ophthalmology/optometry, and so many people assume the annual eye exam requirement is a money grab. False. Just because you can see fine out of your glasses does not mean your eyes are fine. There are several conditions that cause few or no symptoms and catching them quickly can save your eyes or even your life. True story: we had a patient come in a few months back and she opted to have the electronic retinal photographs. Getting the pictures ended up saving her life; the doctor detected an aggressive malignant cancer of the retina. It was causing her no symptoms, and prompt surgery saved her.
I ended up with corrective lens in my early 20's thinking back into my long life. And probably did the eye exams every two years as recommended...we're talking lots of years and lots of exams.

I was told about 20 yrs ago, so I was in late 50's that I had cloudy signs which indicated cataracts..that was 20 yrs ago and with the help of eye supports that I take, I'm still good at 79.,,and FOR ME, eye supports are working in my life and eyes. Eye docs haven't seen me for some yrs now, and my eyes are working good with corrective lens I've used for about 10 yrs or so. No changes, my eyes are probably even better with what I'm taking. No blurry vision with or without the glasses on my eyes.

But it's good for the OP to get checked, I'm not advising anyone, but what's worked in my life.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-05-2018 at 11:46 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 AM

488 posts, read 184,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It could be cataracts. You can get glasses to compensate some, and anti-reflective glasses will reduce glare.
Yes, it could be. Many of us do not realize that as we age, the lens of the eyes yellows and makes lights and everything a little darker and more "amber". I had the cataracts in my left eye removed a few years ago and it was amazing how much easier it was to drive at night and just looking at things like white paper and white flourescent lights, they were now really white.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:48 AM

1,516 posts, read 753,115 times
Try bilberry pills

Old 02-05-2018, 02:05 PM

16,248 posts, read 14,267,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I am 67, and have seen TV commercials for dark glasses that reduce glare of oncoming headlights, or highway lights.

But before I possibly buy them, I plan to check on Amazon.com to see users' comments / opinions about all the possible kinds, and whether or not they seem to help.
They don't work, I tried them (despite very mixed reviews). I think headlights actually are brighter now, but most of it is just my eyes getting old. I can easily foresee the day when like my 60 year old brother, starting saying "you need to pick me up, I don't like driving at night anymore"

Old 02-05-2018, 06:50 PM

1,228 posts, read 789,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay. I don't think glare is the problem, things just look darker. But I will get it checked and see...

I have glaucoma, and it's dark out there!!
I had the laser surgery, and now my vision is worse than before I had it.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:07 AM

871 posts, read 377,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They don't work, I tried them (despite very mixed reviews). I think headlights actually are brighter now, but most of it is just my eyes getting old. I can easily foresee the day when like my 60 year old brother, starting saying "you need to pick me up, I don't like driving at night anymore"

Headlights are horrible. The auto industry really needs to work on this. http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...ith-headlights

Old 02-07-2018, 05:11 AM

871 posts, read 377,795 times
Another problem I see in my area is that local governments are strapped for cash and they are not keeping street lines painted. I really struggle to follow the road in the dark, in the rain, when the lines are very faded. Also, a film can build up on the inside of the windshield, reducing visibility. Keeping the inside of the windshield clean can help.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Headlights are horrible. The auto industry really needs to work on this. http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...ith-headlights
Yes, and they can start by not putting a dozen different sets of lights on the front of pickup trucks, or at least some public service announcements to let the owners of the trucks know most of them are for off-roading and you don't need them on the highway!

Old 02-07-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Another problem I see in my area is that local governments are strapped for cash and they are not keeping street lines painted. I really struggle to follow the road in the dark, in the rain, when the lines are very faded. Also, a film can build up on the inside of the windshield, reducing visibility. Keeping the inside of the windshield clean can help.
I have a harder time with signs. I can't see which highway entrance ramp is north and which is south until I'm there, and I've gotten in the highway in the opposite direction I wanted to go because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or