U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 08:20 PM

1,842 posts, read 632,661 times

Advertisements

Basically when I drive at night I find it harder to see than I use to, and I have to drive slower, cause I'm afraid I'm going to something or afraid a car might come out of the dark, that I won't see coming since I feel my sight of distance isn't as good.

I guess I could go do the doctor about it, but I'm worried, is it just matter of something happening when one gets older? I'm in my early 30s now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 PM

875 posts, read 285,076 times
I never had good night vision even when I was young either, so I tried to avoid it as much as possible. I always envied those drivers who never seemed to have difficulty.

I think it does get worse with age. I am 66 now and would not drive at night unless it were a dire emergency.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:40 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 20,397,642 times
Some of the new glasses that turn into sun glasses when one is outside also help with night blindness. Make sure you are also getting all your vitamins.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 PM

14,419 posts, read 4,363,855 times
OP: How about an eye exam. I take eye supplements and doing good at 79. I gave up driving period last year due to other reasons.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:30 PM

3,125 posts, read 4,328,699 times
I am 67, and have seen TV commercials for dark glasses that reduce glare of oncoming headlights, or highway lights.

But before I possibly buy them, I plan to check on Amazon.com to see users' comments / opinions about all the possible kinds, and whether or not they seem to help.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:22 PM

14,244 posts, read 17,893,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically when I drive at night I find it harder to see than I use to, and I have to drive slower, cause I'm afraid I'm going to something or afraid a car might come out of the dark, that I won't see coming since I feel my sight of distance isn't as good.
I guess I could go do the doctor about it, but I'm worried, is it just matter of something happening when one gets older? I'm in my early 30s now.

I hate to say this but, if you havent had night vision probelms before now, you shouldnt be having problems at your young age unless you have diabetes or some other medical condition. Please go see an eye doctor.

I'm 71 years old and, although I had lasik 13 years ago, I have perfect vision, night and day. I say this not to brag but to let you know that aging alone shouldnt be a cause for decrease in vision. I dont take any supplements and I dont think any eye problems can be corrected by OTC supplements.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:33 AM

1,842 posts, read 632,661 times
Okay thanks, I will see a doctor then. I asked some friends and they said it sounds like I need glasses, but glasses have to do with focus, right? Or do they actually allow more light and exposure, into the eye?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:12 AM

9,336 posts, read 7,353,454 times
Eat more foods, rich in Vitamin A. Google is your friend.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 AM

23,573 posts, read 42,840,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

I am 69 and have had problem for long time w/lot of glare when driving at night and not feeling comfortable with how well I see
I have not driven at night for several years--since my husband is now retired and we don't have lot of individual social/work obligations that really hasn't been a burden
I get an eye exam once a year with a quality opthamalogist--not just someone at a mall/vision store
He says I have cataracts which can contribute to glare effect but the level of mine in general are not severe enough for Medicare to cover the surgery---
I would have to plead hardship (loss of not driving at night) and get special exemption
I haven't done that but I do worry if there was an emergency at night how I could handle it if had to drive
You don't have the Medicare complication but as younger person I think your condition is worth clarifying

There are conditions which can cause poor night vision--sometimes correctable
You need to get evaluation by a GOOD opthamalogist----not just an optometrist
Personally I would be very concerned about something that could have serious implications for your vision---

Old 02-04-2018, 06:16 AM

4,832 posts, read 2,772,992 times
Smoking contributes to night blindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or