Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 12:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,609,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Salt is salt.

Sea salt is only used because it sounds fancier. It's not healthier, doesn't taste better, but you can get it in larger flakes than table salt. It was all in the sea once, just depends whether you'd want it from a current sea or one that dried out millions of years ago.
We can all choose to believe what is best re: quality and processing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:12 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,765,522 times
Your doctor is absolutely correct. Salt is salt is salt, and whatever "extra" minerals there are supposed to be in "sea salt", they are too minimal to make any difference. If you're short on some mineral, that's what supplements are for (assuming there is some reason why you can't make it up in a healthy diet).

This is a myth very much like the myth of Romaine vs Iceberg lettuce. Yes, its true, there are more "nutrients" in Romaine - but unless you eat lettuce by the bushel, it makes no discernible difference. Neither vegetable has much in the way of nutrients. Salad is still good for you - but hopefully you're not trying to live on salad anyway. Salad is only good for you IN MODERATION - pretty much like absolutely everything else we eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We can all choose to believe what is best re: quality and processing.
Yes, you can. But "choosing to believe" something does NOT make it true. You could choose to believe in fairies - it won't make them suddenly appear in your back yard.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,148,919 times
Sea salt is considered a finishing salt. Larger crystals. You put it on the finished product, and you get the salty flavor. When you cook with salt, the saltiness sort of disappears into the background, which is its job, to meld into a seasoning profile. Salting at the end of coming brings salt into the foreground.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Sea salt is considered a finishing salt. Larger crystals. You put it on the finished product, and you get the salty flavor. When you cook with salt, the saltiness sort of disappears into the background, which is its job, to meld into a seasoning profile. Salting at the end of coming brings salt into the foreground.
umm, my sea salt is very fine and I do add it to my veggies etc when finished cooking.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,819,617 times
No difference AT ALL for health justification.

In fact at least "table salt" has iodine.

You should not be adding salt to anything and not eat any high sodium or ANY processed foods (especially if you "have" a cardio and need a therapeutic regimen)

WHY in the world would you question that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

See: Dr. Fuhrman Eat To Live (and Dr. McDougall, too, and Dr. Cousens and others)....if you want to improve your cardio/health.
  • NO salt - outside of what's in whole foods,
  • NO oil - (no, there is no such thing as a "healthy oil")
  • NO sugars - (outside of the sugar that's in natural foods and even that is limited).

Eat GBOMBS.

Dark Leafy GREENS and veggies 2lb per day goal. 1# raw, 1# cooked eaten at the same time
Beans 1 cup per day
Onions
Mushrooms
Berries
Seeds and nuts 1 oz per day and focus on the high Omega 3 at a 1:1 ration with Omega 6. Such as flaxseed MEAL NOT OIL.

If it's not on this list, you don't eat it.

Any foods you "need" can be made with substitutions. IE Salad Dressing? You blend up some fruit and vegetables and perhaps some nuts and add vinegar or just USE vinegar and water and maybe some tahini if that's your flavor preference

Today my salad dressing is equal parts mango and red pepper in the blender with a dash of some vinegar and chili peppers.

DATES are permissible with caution so you can use them, too for sweetening. Or stevia. But NEWSFLASH: fake sugar spikes blood sugar. I just found out after using Splenda forever. And I don't even have a sugar problem but I'd be mad if I did.

If you want to track your diet, you can do it on Cronometer so see what you're REALLY ingesting.

P.S. Even before eating this way I couldn't stand salt or sodium. Makes me entirely too thirsty and ruins the food. You can get FLAVORS from other foods.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-05-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
umm, my sea salt is very fine and I do add it to my veggies etc when finished cooking.
Yeah they have fine, too.

As health conscious as you are, I can't believe you add salt to your food.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Salad is still good for you - but hopefully you're not trying to live on salad anyway. Salad is only good for you IN MODERATION - pretty much like absolutely everything else we eat.
That's not even half true.

I assume you're not much of a greens and veg eater since you used the term "salad".

"Salad" meaning dark leafy greens and other vegetable additions should be the backbone of everyone's diet. The MAIN meal if "people" think they're eating healthy.

The most nutrient dense and healing foods on the planet. The foods with the highest micronutrient per calorie scores are green vegetables, colorful vegetables, and fresh fruits.

Nothing wrong with Romaine but there, of course, is good, better best. And all greens should be rotated to get variety of nutrients.

I eat a pound raw and a pound cooked EVERY day. And mushrooms and onion family. (included in the 2 lbs)

A broad array of Micronutrients. And paying attention to Vitamin D levels, B12, and proper omega-3 intake and 6:3 ratio.

"Vegetarians" can and do get heart disease, too, by eating ridiculous amounts of oils & Omega 6. Especially if they have eaten a lifetime of crap and just convert AFTER they already have damage. Like CHILDREN today do. The Standard American Diet has a ratio of like, 17:1 and should be more like 3:1 or even 1:1.

#nutritarian
#joelfuhrman

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-05-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yeah they have fine, too.

As health conscious as you are, I can't believe you add salt to your food.
Our bodies NEED salts believe it or not. Not loads but we do need salts. When I feel I've had something a little too salty, I add some potassium to balance things out.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:19 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,037,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Anyone know the difference? I know that table salt is over processed and a lot of minerals are removed and apparently sea salt still has nutrients. But I was told my cardio it really doesnt matter in the end if you are sensitive to salt. You need to use both in moderation and the amount of nutrients still in the other salt is so minimal it really doesn't matter. What is your take on this?
Mined table salt is processed at an extraordinarily high temp to remove moisture. As a result, it hardens to a ceramic-like hardness. Also, because of this it never dissolves 100 percent. Salt's shape is square, even when you get down to microscopic levels the shape is still square. That means that when the hardened salt is heated to very high levels, those corners become really, really sharp.

Sodium is an electrolyte and because of this it passes from the stomach into the blood, your blood circulates at an extremely fast rate. Something equivalent to 60 miles an hour. These microscopic little square bits of salt are careening around in your blood stream and when they hit a tight curve they can make a little microscopic NICK in your arteries. When your arteries are thus nicked, the body sends a patch, which is commonly called plaque (made of cholesterol) to fix the nick. But it keeps happening and happening and happening and pretty soon you have a big patch which can create a blockage.

Not only that, but processed, mined salt, because it is heated to remove moisture, attracts moisture when it is in your body. It absorbs many times its weight in water. Because of this it can affect the kidneys and also increase the mount of moisture in the blood stream leading to high blood pressure.

Unprocessed sea salt or Himalayan salt do not do this. Himalayan salt is much better because it has trace minerals and other nutrients.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:01 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,655,626 times
Two things: Salt scratching your arteries is plain false, and all salt is the same shape at microscopic levels. The moisture "absorbing" effects of salt are the same for all types, even Himalayan.

You should be far more concerned about eating too much salt than about how processed the salt is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness