U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM

1,559 posts, read 520,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's weird that everyone just expects that all kids will gulp cough syrup.

If that is true, the problem is not the cough syrup.
Don't forget that irresponsible people might just SELL that unnecessary hydrocodone/codeine-based cough syrup. This could happen regardless whether you actually are justified in needing the stuff yourself. That's how it contributes to the opioid problem, not because someone using it for a few days is going to get hooked on it.

I am prone to bronchitis/pneumonia, so I've been prescribed various forms of what I refer to as "leaded" old style syrup a number of times. Sometimes ended up with steroid inhalers mostly not. The local pharmacy used to keep a log every time the syrup prescription was filled. Then they track and limit refills though I can't recall ever needing one. These days I find Mucinex or the generic very helpful instead of just trying endlessly to suppress the cough. Need to get rid of that stuff. If I can't sleep at all, sometimes I'll add an OTC sedative (diphenhydramine or benedryl) so it suppresses that nagging throat cough trigger. Usually does the trick. Then of course there's the relaxation aspect of TRUSTING that it will. Can't forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,193,868 times
Just one word of caution about prednisone: https://www.healthline.com/health/pr...ne-oral-tablet - it may weaken your immune system. It also has a host of nasty side effects.

As far a cough medicine; does anybody remember the old family doctors of the 1950's and before? Some of them dispensed their own pills and cough medicine. I remember two of them that had huge old dusty bottles of cough medicine and they would get out a new small bottle and funnel and fill their own prescriptions (they actually just gave us the medication without the prescription). Although my parents paid the bill; I think the doctor's visit and pills/cough medicine was less than our copay today at the pharmacist and that was without medical insurance back then!

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

8,382 posts, read 5,523,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I donít use cough syrup & excepting one temporary situation, I do not give it to my kids. But it doesnít have anything to do with narcotics:

I donít want to suppress something that the body needs to do to get better. I know, itís miserable to be up all night hacking up a lung but Iíd rather that than pneumonia. Especially right now with the flu related pneumonia & sepsis.

My kids would tell you that I have lectured them if I hear them trying to hold back ... ďDo it again! This time with a BIG breath!Ē I do not want that warm, wet gunk breeding bacteria so please; cough & spit.

Additionally, opiates cause respiratory depression. It slows the rate & your breathing becomes shallow. Oxygen levels can drop just from taking an opiate; add lungs filling with fluid & you could be asking for trouble.

My one exception to this is in the case where you are recovering from an upper respiratory infection (sinus & throat) & the coughing comes from that aggravating tickle in your throat. It usually occurs if your throat was raw & blistered & itís similar to a scrape that forms a scab & gets itchy.

As long as the lungs are clear, in that case only; do I allow a little syrup at night for the sake of getting some sleep.
And that hacking, endless, dry unproductive cough left over from a respiratory infection is what the Tessalon perles are prescribed for. I've never used them myself, but a number of people I know swear by their effectiveness.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

10,131 posts, read 12,277,865 times
MANY drugs that used to be prescription are now deregulated and over the counter.

Is it a new doctor and someone you don't have a relationship with?

I'd find a new one if you don't like her./him I'd only take prednisolone if I couldn't breathe, or had a chronic condition or something that ONLY Pred could help.

Do you HAVE asthma or some other lung compromise?

Were you having trouble breathing?

Seems weird to guess at what was going in without a diagnosis or complete story.

If it was POST NASAL DRIP making you cough, that's different than lung congestion, which, actually at a certain point stiffens up like a block of mucus when you enter into pneumonia territory.

If the post nasal DRIP is making you cough, you need to dry UP the nose material, cough medicine is not going to get to the root cause.

Then again, if you had a sinus infection, which usually is what causes the drip, the doctor would have seen it.

As someone else said, the "old stuff" "worked" because it knocked you out.

If you don't have a serious condition that won't just run it's course with time, then you have a cold.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,872,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I used to be able to get "terpin hydrate and codeine" over the counter. Very effective against the cough. Those days are long gone.
"Thanks your corner druggie"
Ah, yes, terpin hydrate; we called it GI Gin.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

15,140 posts, read 7,825,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's weird that everyone just expects that all kids will gulp cough syrup.

If that is true, the problem is not the cough syrup.
Assume? No. Am aware that there is an opiod abuse epidemic in this country and that part of trying to combat it is to minimize the amount of opiates being prescribed overall? Yes.

And yes, sometimes that means that an individual patient doesn't get an opiate medicine as easily as they used to. Personally, I think that's a good thing. However, it can obviously go too far if a doctor won't prescribe them at all, even to someone who demonstrates a legitimate need and doesn't have a history of trying to obtain potentially questionable amounts.

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM

132 posts, read 30,838 times
I have the opposite issue. The last time I went I got a script for a syrup with codeine. Now it was a very bad cough that was preventing me from sleeping and had people running for the hills. No one wanted to be around me and it went on and on but- that stuff was one of the nastiest tasting things. It was like drinking a concoction of melted plastic, toilet bowl cleaner and flowers. The syrup was a cough suppressant.

If your doctor gave you a pill it was likely an expectorant. Meaning it should make your coughs more productive (more phlegm- yay!). I greatly prefer an expectorant to a suppressant but my doctor gives me whichever he thinks I need based on how I sound and how I describe my symptoms.

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

177 posts, read 128,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Assume? No. Am aware that there is an opiod abuse epidemic in this country and that part of trying to combat it is to minimize the amount of opiates being prescribed overall? Yes.

And yes, sometimes that means that an individual patient doesn't get an opiate medicine as easily as they used to. Personally, I think that's a good thing. However, it can obviously go too far if a doctor won't prescribe them at all, even to someone who demonstrates a legitimate need and doesn't have a history of trying to obtain potentially questionable amounts.

I was just joking with my husband last night that the streets are a little safer tonight now that I'm coughing and can't sleep. I'm happy to do my share in combating the opiate crisis by coughing and not sleeping.

Seriously your last paragraph is all I'm saying. If a person has no history of getting regular opiates, they are sick, they try your medicine and call back later and say, "It's not working can I have what I used to get years ago?" what is wrong with giving a patient a few day's worth?

To swing from one extreme to the other is ridiculous. So because in the past some docs gave a gallon of cough syrup to someone with a sniffle, now I can't get a 2 or 3 day supply?

Like I said, I've never done drugs in my life. I was raised in a crazy religious family so parties, drinking and drugs weren't on the menu. However, food has been an issue for my whole life. I went from being almost anorexic in my early 20s to obese by my early 30s. I explained my food issues to the doctor. I struggle to keep my current weight which is "chubby". I could lose 20lbs to be at a perfect weight. So the LAST thing I need is a steroid that gives me cravings. And that is what the prednisolone did. He warned me would. So I guess their little warning gets them off the hook of any negative outcome.

My heart was racing and I was hungry all day long. I said by the time I'm done being sick I'll have gained 10 pounds. That's when I called up and asked for something different. I called back later becasue I hadn't heard back. The nurse read the doctor's note. "Keep taking the meds and eventually the side effects will subside." No they didn't.
I'm just now getting that crap out of my system. I will not take prednisolone again. Ever. I felt like I was going crazy.

And for real druggies? THey will find a way to get high no matter what. That's why we have an epidemic. So why not meet in the middle and give small amounts of meds at the patient's request? To completely deny me meds that will stop me from coughing and help me sleep does not make this country a better place.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

81,948 posts, read 93,783,201 times
^^Call your doctor!

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,536,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
I was just joking with my husband last night that the streets are a little safer tonight now that I'm coughing and can't sleep. I'm happy to do my share in combating the opiate crisis by coughing and not sleeping.

Seriously your last paragraph is all I'm saying. If a person has no history of getting regular opiates, they are sick, they try your medicine and call back later and say, "It's not working can I have what I used to get years ago?" what is wrong with giving a patient a few day's worth?

To swing from one extreme to the other is ridiculous. So because in the past some docs gave a gallon of cough syrup to someone with a sniffle, now I can't get a 2 or 3 day supply?

Like I said, I've never done drugs in my life. I was raised in a crazy religious family so parties, drinking and drugs weren't on the menu. However, food has been an issue for my whole life. I went from being almost anorexic in my early 20s to obese by my early 30s. I explained my food issues to the doctor. I struggle to keep my current weight which is "chubby". I could lose 20lbs to be at a perfect weight. So the LAST thing I need is a steroid that gives me cravings. And that is what the prednisolone did. He warned me would. So I guess their little warning gets them off the hook of any negative outcome.

My heart was racing and I was hungry all day long. I said by the time I'm done being sick I'll have gained 10 pounds. That's when I called up and asked for something different. I called back later becasue I hadn't heard back. The nurse read the doctor's note. "Keep taking the meds and eventually the side effects will subside." No they didn't.
I'm just now getting that crap out of my system. I will not take prednisolone again. Ever. I felt like I was going crazy.

And for real druggies? THey will find a way to get high no matter what. That's why we have an epidemic. So why not meet in the middle and give small amounts of meds at the patient's request? To completely deny me meds that will stop me from coughing and help me sleep does not make this country a better place.
Is there some reason you can't just take OTC NyQuil?

I don't think the level of drama here - about a cough! - is likely to help give your doc the impression that prescribing you serious drugs is a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness