U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 17,131,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post

Like I said, I've never done drugs in my life. I was raised in a crazy religious family so parties, drinking and drugs weren't on the menu. However, food has been an issue for my whole life. I went from being almost anorexic in my early 20s to obese by my early 30s. I explained my food issues to the doctor. I struggle to keep my current weight which is "chubby". I could lose 20lbs to be at a perfect weight. So the LAST thing I need is a steroid that gives me cravings. And that is what the prednisolone did. He warned me would. So I guess their little warning gets them off the hook of any negative outcome.

My heart was racing and I was hungry all day long. I said by the time I'm done being sick I'll have gained 10 pounds. That's when I called up and asked for something different. I called back later becasue I hadn't heard back. The nurse read the doctor's note. "Keep taking the meds and eventually the side effects will subside." No they didn't.
I'm just now getting that crap out of my system. I will not take prednisolone again. Ever. I felt like I was going crazy.
That's just what steroids do. Every time I've had an allergic reaction that had to be treated by steroids, I've gained weight. If it's just one dose of steroids in the ER or a shot at Urgent Care, I'll gain ten pounds. If it's the medrol dose pack, I'll gain at least 20 pounds, and it's nearly impossible to lose that weight afterwards. I won't take steroids anymore unless I can't breathe or the itching is so bad I can't sleep. Either way, while taking steroids I have to completely cut out all carbs to keep my blood sugar from getting really high.

The Tessalon Perles worked pretty well for me though. I was also taking mucinex, 12 hour sudafed (another med that they treat you like a criminal for needing, but at least it's OTC) and an albuterol inhaler, but the cough was so bad it felt like my ribs were breaking, and the perles stopped the cough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

769 posts, read 253,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
I'm lucky in that I don't get sick often. About 10 years ago I had super bad bronchitis. After 2 weeks of coughing I finally went to the doctor and I got a few things including a thick cough syrup. I don't know the name. I just know that I finally slept the night for the first time in 2 weeks. They gave me 3, maybe 4 day's worth and that was it.

So the past couple of weeks I'm sick again. Coughing and congested bad. Went to the doctor and he prescribes and asthma inhaler, prednisolone pills and these small gel pills. He said the prednisolone would "give me energy" and that I would be hungry. Well I was constantly starving, non stop cravings and the energy was more like heart racing jitters. The exact opposite of what you want to feel when you need to be resting!

The small pills were supposed to suppress my cough. They did not. They numb your throat and give a weird feeling. I asked can I just get regular prescription cough medicine and the doctor just made a face like, "Silly girl, we have new and better drugs now." My doctor is probably 20 years younger than me.

We're self employed and pay over $700 a month for our health insurance and we barely use it. No subsidies. We pay the full amount each month. I felt like I was being treated like a junkie or something. And it annoys me because I have never done drugs in my life. I rarely drink. I've never smoked. If I drag myself to the doctor I want something strong and especially to help me stop coughing and sleep. It just seemed strange to prescribe asthma inhalers and prednisone.

If I get sick again, I'll skip the doctor and stick with Nyquil.

So no more prescription cough medicine or is it just my doctor?
Well 2 years ago I got the cough syrup but I don't know if they are now less likely to give prescriptions for it because it has codeine in it what with all the opiate abuse. While I could take this at night, if I took it in the day I would be zonked out so it was useless for a cough if I wanted to get around. Stick to Nyquil, it actually does make you sleep. During the day I like the Fisherman's Friend lozenges, for many they taste terrible but they do work better than any other lozenge out there.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

1,571 posts, read 520,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
If your doctor gave you a pill it was likely an expectorant. Meaning it should make your coughs more productive (more phlegm- yay!). I greatly prefer an expectorant to a suppressant but my doctor gives me whichever he thinks I need based on how I sound and how I describe my symptoms.
This makes sense. You get it. However, there are too many people out there who don't have a clue about the difference. All they know is they want the cough to STOP NOW, and they are going to whine and moan until they get what they want. They don't want to give it time, they don't want half measures, they don't want to change any other aspect of self care, they just want a cure immediately.

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

2,789 posts, read 1,370,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I never found that cough syrup was helpful at all. Seemed completely ineffective.

NyQuil does help a little (or does it?) - but it's not considered cough syrup, or is it?

Some NyQuil helps one to sleep, but probably not the Daytime NyQuil (which is orange)
Then you never had codeine cough syrup.

You swallow it and it completely erases your urge to cough for hours. It is just completely gone.

Taken properly you don't get any kind of 'high' or "euphoria" either.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

81,954 posts, read 93,783,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post

You swallow it and it completely erases your urge to cough for hours. It is just completely gone.

I suggest you read this: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...n/drg-20074022
It's not heroin, but there are significant drug interactions, contraindications, side effects and the like.

I was just reminded of a non-medical cough reliever, honey: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...y/faq-20058031
This has some pretty good information for adults as well: https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...lieve-a-cough/

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

4,925 posts, read 2,761,266 times
I generally have a pattern with "common cold" going back 40 years. Starts with sneezing and congestion, which goes away after a few days, except for when I go to sleep at night. "Nightime" OTC Cough/Cold does not work after about 4 hours, which in the past DID.

Decades ago while on tour in England same thing happened. Went to a drug store and they gave me a cough solution with codeine. Worked great. Nyquil used to work until they took that alcohol out of it. Forget now.

RUN to "your doctor"!!!!!! Get it?

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

4,387 posts, read 2,148,755 times
I always have prescription cough medicine on my shelf. The regular stuff and the heavy duty codeine stuff. I am a firm believer you need rest to get better. Coughing all night is not helpful to getting well.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

10,800 posts, read 18,297,601 times
I can attest to the Tessalon Perles not being an expectorant. My coughs after a cold tend to hang on for dear life, and my doctor asked if my coughs were dry or productive. Dry dry dry as were my lungs — all clear.

All I got were Perles. And they’re working. I only take one at night and they make me sleepy.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

15,999 posts, read 15,189,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post

I never got "high" from cough syrup either. There are times when you need it. When you are coughing and coughing endlessly for weeks on end and OTC stuff isn't doing enough.

Before I had sinus surgery I used to take OTC Sudafed. It would last four hours, I think. It eased the sinus headache pressure that I always had. Then the druggies discovered they could cook someone out of it and it started being kept behind the counter, you had to show and ID and I used to feel like some kind of criminal just getting my decongestant. I think they had made it to last 12 hours too instead of the four hours. Anyway, it would have kept me awake at night because it now lasted so long.

It really helped me all those years that I took the four hour doses. Then they made it harder to get and it didn't come in shorter lasting doses. I'm very lucky that I was able to get sinus surgery and don't need decongestants anymore because drug addicts ruined that too.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

177 posts, read 128,826 times
People react differently to medicine. It's not cool to assume a person is being hysterical or dramatic if they say they don't like the way a medication makes them feel. If a person had a really bad side effect from meds and didn't tell their doctor they're wrong. Tell your doctor and you're being dramatic. Can't win.

Thank you to the supportive people in this thread. To the person who thinks I'm being dramatic, I've been sick for 3 weeks now. I was sick for 2 weeks before going to the doctor. I was so congested they ordered a chest x ray when I got there because they thought I had bronchitis. I don't just have a little cough. I have a deep, horrible sounding cough that has kept me up at night for 3 weeks.

My diagnosis was upper respiratory infection.

I'm slowly getting better. Very slowly. No cough syrup doesn't make you better. It makes you *feel* better. It takes away symptoms so you can sleep.

Doctors just want to hear how great the meds work. They don't seem to care that I'm saying the meds weren't making me feel better.

And I never got *high* from cough meds either. I only felt tired and it relaxed my chest.

Last edited by TheLonelyGoatherd; Yesterday at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness