U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 PM

25,731 posts, read 44,062,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I remember Tussionex. It worked great. Tasted like pineapple. I didn't think it would be very effective the first time I used it because it was not very thick and didn't coat my throat like other cough syrups do. Within an hour my urge to cough was gone , and I was able to rest in bed all day long and then sleep very well all night. It has hydrocodone in it which is stronger than codeine. I preferred hydrocodone because it felt more pleasant, and codeine would cramp my stomach sometimes. I haven't had it for decades now. I didn't think it was prescribed anymore.
Tessalon pearls -- I have had those before and they were effective
I have also been given cough suppressant w/codeine
Last time I went to the doctor with URI/bronchitis I got an inhaler and steroid RX for prednisone
No antibiotics and no cough suppressant although I had bad cough
Doctor said she wanted me to cough it up but she didn't give me expectorant ---just said to drink lot of fluids

I used that inhaler longer than any other one I was RXed in past---
I actually used all the doses where as before I would stop after many 25 uses---
But I didn't have to go back for antibiotic which was good or another inhaler

Cough medicine doesn't "coat your throat" to be effective---
It is absorbed in your body and the chemicals either suppresses the cough reflex and helps your body stop trying to expel the mucus or it has expectorant qualities and helps thin mucus and break it up to be expelled when you cough---so you probably cough more often...

If you want to smooth your throat use honey from your area and lemon juice--teaspoon at time

If you want to gargle use 1 teaspoon each of salt and sugar together in glass of warm water to gargle with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 09:25 PM

204 posts, read 150,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A big part of the epidemic is prescription meds, not just the stuff made in someones kitchen or brought in from other countries. Prescription drugs ARE street drugs.
And honestly you sound pretty offended that the doctor couldn't just 'see' that you are a god moral upright law abiding person and not a drug seeker, and that he should give you those types of drugs based on your say so. You could probably do that with a doctor you had a relationship with, but to walk in and ask that of a doctor you don't know, that's bound to raise an eyebrow, he has no way of knowing whether you are a drug seeker. I totally understand why they would want to start with a less controversial treatment, one that works for most people.

thank you again all for replying! I never expected this thread to be so long! It's very interesting reading others' experiences.

I just want to address this comment that I'm expecting a doctor to see that I'm an upstanding citizen. That is not true at all. Yes, I like to think that I dress well, am well spoken and overall present myself well. However I don't expect a doctor to analyze that. I do expect him to look at my chart and see my history. He'd see that I don't have a history of running to the dr for every sniffle. I typically see the doctor twice a year and that's because our HMO insurance requires 6 month visits. I've only been at this practice for 1 1/2 years, but they have my entire medical history that was transferred to them from the other practice where I was for many years. The other practice no longer took our health insurance so I had to find a new primary care doctor. But this doctor has my medical history at his fingertips if he took a few moments to glance at it.
He'd see I'm not on any other medication and that I'm an overall healthy person. What is the point of a patient having a chart if a doctor is only going to go by what they themselves see?

I also expect a doctor to listen to their patients. The next day I called to say I felt I was having a bad reaction to the prednisolone. And I felt the perle pills weren't doing anything. If he hadn't told me ahead of time what the perle pills were for, I honest to God would not have known their purpose. That should tell you that they did nothing for me. And the shaky, anxiety feeling of the prednisolone was as bad as the cough itself. I expect a doctor to find another solution for their patient. I told the nurse to please tell him that I had good luck with the cough syrup in the past with having no negative side effects and allowing me to sleep.

I thought about going back to see my doctor but now I'm paranoid about asking for cough medicine that I'll look like a drug seeker. And that is insane and laughable if you knew me. Instead my 6 month visit is in April and I think I'll have a talk with my doctor about my experience and let him know I wasn't happy with the meds or the way I was treated after saying the meds didn't work. But really, we are moving this summer to California and it's almost not even worth the hassle since they won't be my doctor anymore anyway.

For now, that nasty prednisolone is out of my system finally. Though still coughing and congested I'm not as bad. I made a veggie smoothie and walked a little outside. I walked slow but just seeing the sun a little and moving made me feel much better.

Best of luck to anyone fighting illness. This year is a doozy!

Last edited by TheLonelyGoatherd; 02-08-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 AM

416 posts, read 429,636 times
Quoting the LonelyGoatherd:

I'm honestly skeptical that people are abusing all of this prescription medication. I've never had a doctor just hand out pain pills like candy. And neither does anyone I know. I honestly think people are illegally getting this medication and just saying they got it from their doctor because it sounds better than saying they got it off the street. I just don't buy that in this day doctors are giving out so many pain pills and cough syrup that people are getting hooked on it.

Dear L.G.: where have you been for the last couple of decades? This is exactly what has been going on, from coast to coast. The pharma industry pulled the biggest scam in US history with the false story that they had created a way to treat pain with opioids that was not addictive. And the health industry, and government overseers all bought the lie! One of the biggest perpetrators is now on the Forbes wealthiest billionaires list. They even taught the fake research to medical students! Cripes, and now finally is this crime coming to light
Go to your local library/bookstore and pick up a book called DREAMLAND. But don't worry -- there will be even more exposes, more incredible facts coming to light.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,284,878 times
Feel better soon, OP.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:11 PM

204 posts, read 150,588 times
Thank you winterbird!!!

Stereoman, I realize about what happened in the past. What I meant is, I highly doubt there so many people NOW given pain medication by their doctors that they are getting hooked on it. I've lived in 3 states in the past 28 years. I have never had a doctor just dump meds on me. I was discussing this with my friend who had her tubes tied. She had surgery and the only thing the doctor gave her was prescription ibuprofin. She said she felt like a druggie asking for something stronger but she was in real pain and he wouldn't give it.

So it's a bit of a slap in the face to people who really need medication to be told that because other doctors have given other people too much medication, that now you have to suffer.

like I said, I don't doubt opiods were over prescribed in the past. Never to me, but I realize that they were to other people. BUT I don't buy that is the case now. So society did not gain a thing by my doctor not giving me 2 or 3 days of a medication that would have helped me stop coughing and sleep. The addicts are still finding a way to get high and I'm still coughing.

And all of this for the privilege of paying $700 a month for health insurance I barely use. No I'm not bitter.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:57 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,863,414 times
I got cough syrup with codeine for years from doctors this year was no different maybe you didn't because it was the first time you saw that doctor. I have a regular GP I have seen for awhile now and he knows my history. If you go to the urgent cares where lot of the druggies go to try and talk their way into some pain meds they might not want to give it out. I had the terrible flu this year and I got lot of stuff including lidocaine throat rinse which I have had before my throat was so sore it felt like pulling 2 pieces of tape apart trying to swallow. I just ask for cough syrup they usually give it to me when I'm sick I just tell them the store bought stuff isn't working.

I did once have a doctor tell me he didn't prescribe anything for colds or coughs just take over the counter stuff I just went to another doctor which is the one I see now he even gives me a couple of refills on the codeine cough syrup. I can usually treat colds myself but when it isn't working I go to the doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness