U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 PM

208 posts, read 151,096 times

Advertisements

I'm lucky in that I don't get sick often. About 10 years ago I had super bad bronchitis. After 2 weeks of coughing I finally went to the doctor and I got a few things including a thick cough syrup. I don't know the name. I just know that I finally slept the night for the first time in 2 weeks. They gave me 3, maybe 4 day's worth and that was it.

So the past couple of weeks I'm sick again. Coughing and congested bad. Went to the doctor and he prescribes and asthma inhaler, prednisolone pills and these small gel pills. He said the prednisolone would "give me energy" and that I would be hungry. Well I was constantly starving, non stop cravings and the energy was more like heart racing jitters. The exact opposite of what you want to feel when you need to be resting!

The small pills were supposed to suppress my cough. They did not. They numb your throat and give a weird feeling. I asked can I just get regular prescription cough medicine and the doctor just made a face like, "Silly girl, we have new and better drugs now." My doctor is probably 20 years younger than me.

We're self employed and pay over $700 a month for our health insurance and we barely use it. No subsidies. We pay the full amount each month. I felt like I was being treated like a junkie or something. And it annoys me because I have never done drugs in my life. I rarely drink. I've never smoked. If I drag myself to the doctor I want something strong and especially to help me stop coughing and sleep. It just seemed strange to prescribe asthma inhalers and prednisone.

If I get sick again, I'll skip the doctor and stick with Nyquil.

So no more prescription cough medicine or is it just my doctor?

Last edited by TheLonelyGoatherd; 02-05-2018 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 05:11 AM

596 posts, read 966,289 times
Prescription cough medicine is used to make sizzrup, a drink kids and young adults were using to get high. I don't think it's as popular nowadays, but that could be because of the awareness of potential abuse. So yes, if you brush aside the less addictive alternatives offered by a doctor and specifically ask for codeine-based cough syrup, you may be raising a red flag, though you didn't intend to do so.

The little gold pills are probably what they call "pearls." I had never heard of them, but my college-age kids said this is what they give now on college campuses. They were told by their doctors that they do not work in some people, no one knows why, but they work beautifully in others.

My son had a bout of bronchitis over Christmas and he was prescribed an inhaler, pearls, and a z-pak (antibiotic).

Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 AM

12,847 posts, read 17,252,717 times
yes I'm allergic to z pac so they always give me something else and maybe that is a good thing . we found out about my reaction to the zpac in a bad way . they put it in an iv and I started having seizures and as soon as it came out I was fine dr said it was definitely a reaction to the zpac and told me to notify other medical professionals that I was allergic to the zpac .yes it is probably cough pearls they did not work for me either .

Old 02-06-2018, 05:32 AM

12,558 posts, read 6,650,237 times
Yeah....I remember the "good ol' days" when you'd get cough syrup with codeine - now THAT did something! Instead of getting so tired out by a constant hacking cough you could get some decent rest.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:38 AM

2,237 posts, read 1,430,024 times
The "thick cough syrup" was probably tussionex (it's yellow usually). Good stuff.

The codeine based syrups (usually red) are less effective and not as well tolerated due to nausea.

The 'Perles' (correct spelling) are called tessalon and have benzonotate as active ingredient. In my experience about 80% see relief with these. If it hasn't worked for you in the past it probably won't in the future.

If you see your Dr on a regular basis and have a good working relationship with him/her you should be able to get a 4 day supply of tussionex, although I have heard it is harder to get nowadays.

fwiw -- I always found a toddy to work pretty well for cough. Whiskey, honey, hot water (or tea) and bit of lemon juice.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:32 AM

6,607 posts, read 4,902,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
It just seemed strange to prescribe asthma inhalers and prednisone.

Well, they will fix the problem...Prednisone and Asthma inhalers are both steroids. They are unbeatable at helping with those symptoms.

I had a chest fill up something awful due to an allergic reaction...Prednisone and a steroid inhaler knocked it out in a day.

But its probably your doctor as well. And, it might have to do with not wanting to prescribe codeine with all the scrutiny on dr's due to opiate abusers these days.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 AM

208 posts, read 151,096 times
The abuse part is what I do not understand. How can someone abuse a cough medicine if they only get 3 or 4 day's worth? That's what I've gotten in the past. It was a very small amount.

I don't have kids but let me tell you, if a kid had sneaked one little swig of that cough medicine, I would have known. It was measured out to the drop. And I got no refills.

How is it people can "abuse" something that is measured to last 3 days and no refills?

And how can you tell a sick person to get rest and yet send them out the door with a prescription of steroids admitting that the steroids will make them more energetic?

I've gotten the thin, red cough syrup in the past as well. That stuff was garbage. Nyquil was better. But what I got 10 years ago was very thick and damn it worked. I slept like a baby and stopped coughing for the first time in 2 weeks. My husband was thankful for the medication too. We were sleeping in separate rooms and yet he could still hear me coughing all night. I got that syrup and was silent.

I'm honestly skeptical that people are abusing all of this prescription medication. I've never had a doctor just hand out pain pills like candy. And neither does anyone I know. I honestly think people are illegally getting this medication and just saying they got it from their doctor because it sounds better than saying they got it off the street. I just don't buy that in this day doctors are giving out so many pain pills and cough syrup that people are getting hooked on it.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:58 AM

227 posts, read 79,113 times
I remember Tussionex. It worked great. Tasted like pineapple. I didn't think it would be very effective the first time I used it because it was not very thick and didn't coat my throat like other cough syrups do. Within an hour my urge to cough was gone , and I was able to rest in bed all day long and then sleep very well all night. It has hydrocodone in it which is stronger than codeine. I preferred hydrocodone because it felt more pleasant, and codeine would cramp my stomach sometimes. I haven't had it for decades now. I didn't think it was prescribed anymore.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 PM

17,120 posts, read 5,470,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
I'm lucky in that I don't get sick often. About 10 years ago I had super bad bronchitis. After 2 weeks of coughing I finally went to the doctor and I got a few things including a thick cough syrup. I don't know the name. I just know that I finally slept the night for the first time in 2 weeks. They gave me 3, maybe 4 day's worth and that was it.

So the past couple of weeks I'm sick again. Coughing and congested bad. Went to the doctor and he prescribes and asthma inhaler, prednisolone pills and these small gel pills. He said the prednisolone would "give me energy" and that I would be hungry. Well I was constantly starving, non stop cravings and the energy was more like heart racing jitters. The exact opposite of what you want to feel when you need to be resting!

The small pills were supposed to suppress my cough. They did not. They numb your throat and give a weird feeling. I asked can I just get regular prescription cough medicine and the doctor just made a face like, "Silly girl, we have new and better drugs now." My doctor is probably 20 years younger than me.

We're self employed and pay over $700 a month for our health insurance and we barely use it. No subsidies. We pay the full amount each month. I felt like I was being treated like a junkie or something. And it annoys me because I have never done drugs in my life. I rarely drink. I've never smoked. If I drag myself to the doctor I want something strong and especially to help me stop coughing and sleep. It just seemed strange to prescribe asthma inhalers and prednisone.

Sambucol is what I would use, but I don't get coughs. I would use this before Nyquil and it's in drug stores now too. This Nyquil brings me to a story of a friend, who had a heart condition and on heart med, took Nyquil for sleep and she died in her sleep...talk about a shocker.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-06-2018 at 12:10 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 12:03 PM

7,993 posts, read 5,089,747 times
I used to be able to get "terpin hydrate and codeine" over the counter. Very effective against the cough. Those days are long gone.
"Thanks your corner druggie"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness