Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 PM

221 posts, read 994,102 times

Advertisements

I was out to dinner with a coworker the other day. She was really getting on my nerves, LOL. She would only sip bottled water, ordered a pile of lettuce and bean sprouts, frowned as she picked at them, criticized what I was eating (chicken) and about had a stroke when I ordered dessert. She then proceeded to let me know that she only eats organic food, and that she would have to spend an additional hour at the gym to "burn off all those calories she consumed at dinner".

I made a hasty exit, and had a thought pop in my head. When did we all realize that EVERYTHING that was good to eat (or maybe even do) was bad for us? I do not mean smoking/doing drugs/having an eating disorder or an addiction (that's all psychological) - but really, I meet people who cannot even stomach nibbling on a cookie without moaning about the extra twenty-seven hours they will have to spend on the treadmill. Going to the movies? Don't eat that small popcorn- it'll kill you. A pat of butter? Good God, that is a death wish. What???? You want to savor a .....Hershey Kiss????? It's a slow death! And don't even get me started on red meat.......

I am healthy and curvy. My weight is proportionate to my height. I get enough sleep and am healthy mentally (I think). I just shake my head at these people who seem to take the joy out of life, especially when it comes to food and health. I certainly do not mean, become a glutton, and of course, you need to see your docs on a regular basis, stay on top of things, be healthy. But, goodness, an ice cream on a sultry summer evening every once in a blue moon (not every week) - I cannot see denying yourself this. I'll be out with friends, and we'll be having a grand time- and someone will say, "Oh, you should NOT eat/drink that- have a carrot, water." And they are the miserable folks- not us!

Anyone else figure out when everything you ate/drank was going to cripple, maim, disfigure, and put you in an early grave? I think we have enough info on clogged arteries (how my grandparents, who cooked everything in lard, for the love of the Lord, lived past 20, still baffles me), nutrition, exercise and disease to help us make wise choices with our health. Certainly, those with diseases (diabetes, for one) must really keep on top of that. But, have we all been programmed to deny ourselves a treat once in a while, then punish ourselves when we "CHEAT"? I do not mean pigging out every day. That's unhealthy. I guess I see people who have taken the balance out of their lives. Maybe they are the veggie pod people or something. I dunno.

I savor a mug of steaming hot chocolate on a beautiful, frigid winter night. And I love the succulent taste of fresh watermelon in August. Red, juicy, ripe, tangy apples in the fall will make me swoon with delight when the air becomes crisp with autumn. But tell me I should feel guilty because I nibble on chocolate- and I'll have to hurt you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,985 times
lol great post. I feel the same way!!! I used to have a friend that would stick her head in my bag of fast food and inhale...and say it smelt so good she wished she could eat it. Or I would buy a pack of cookies from a vending machine, she would cave and then say "well I can burn off the calories if I add this many minutes to my workout tonight". I eat what I want, I exercise...but I can't live without junkfood. When I did give up junkfood for a year everyone thought I was anorexic and kept forcing food on me. You just cant win. I know a lot of the food out there is processed and nasty and really not good for you....but Ive grown up with it and I cant seem to give it up. I stay away from coke and grocery store milk though. : ) Hand me the cheese puffs and Im happy.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:44 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Tell your co-worked that obsessing about the crap food she's forcing herself to eat is not healthy.
Remind her that cows eat that stuff all day, they walk regularly, and look at them!

Ice cream is health food, chocolate chunk brownies make you smarter than fish does.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:21 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
Eat what you enjoy and don't feel one bit bad about doing it in front of your co-worker. Be happy knowing you don't have miss out on the yummy things in life. She can eat bean sprouts and drink bottled water all she wants and she still ain't gonna get out of this world alive. We all go sometime. Might as well enjoy some good tasting food if we want.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Those who eat what they like and enjoy their desserts and eat them too are intelligent human beings.
The one's that obsess over every little thing and suffer with a carrot and water need psychiatric help! The more they deny themselves real delicious food, the more miserable they become and misery loves company and they get quite ticked off when they don't get it. Because that's what veggie pod people do.

The next time your friends start in on your eating habits, pop a headset on and drown them out with some nice relaxing music.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:47 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
I'm with you! I hate those kind of people.It's fine if they want to eat like that,but they need to keep their mouth shut! It's about moderation.There is nothing wrong with enjoying all things!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 AM

221 posts, read 994,102 times
You all are the best! I knew I would find some sane people here, LOL.

I really believe in balance in all things. The craziness of life tempered with serenity. I also believe in being healthy and strong, fighting off disease, all that good stuff. Eat a balanced diet, go to your doc every year, exercise.

But when I am told to AVOID these things, I just shake my head. Do NOT EAT the following or you shall drop over dead where you stand:

sugar ,white bread, nuts, milk, red meat, carrots (sugar), coffee, tea, pasta, cereal, cheese, corn, granola, peanut butter, jelly, potatoes, rice, mac and cheese, hot dogs.....and I make really great cookies, BTW......

I keep thinking, what is left to eat- twigs and berries?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I think it's pretty rude of a friend to criticize what you're eating! After all, it's going into your body, not theirs, so what's the big deal? Okay, if it's really a health issue, then I understand. Otherwise, the real message seems to be, "I'm so good. I'm so wonderful. Look at the self control I have! Unlike you. Wow, can't believe you can eat that." Meaning that it's not about the health issues; it's all about them and their feelings of superiority. Yuck.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:13 AM

184 posts, read 1,544,731 times
This is a great thread! I can relate because for most of my life I was blissfully ignorant of the relative health effects of food. Then a few years ago I completely overhauled my diet and now I only eat foods that I feel comfortable eating, from a health standpoint. I choose to avoid cholesterol, trans fats, saturated fats, sodium and chemically-based ingredients. I eat simply, and organically whenever I can. But I would never criticize anyone else's food choices..... that's just flat-out rude!! What someone chooses to put into their body is their own business, just like mine is. It amazes me that some people think it's okay to ridicule others for their health beliefs. Just like differences in religion, everyone's free to believe what they want and act on it as long as they don't "proselytize" or force their beliefs on others. ;-)

Old 03-23-2008, 04:18 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times
These days you can find a diet or health guru for every type of diet. Want to eat lots of carbs? Go on a low fat diet. Want to eat lots of butter and beef? Go on a low carb diet.

What I find most annoying is that things I gave up for years are now ok to eat, and the stuff I was eating instead are now unhealthy.

Why is that? You'll have to catch up with the latest research and the manipulation of information in a book like Good Calories, Bad Calories to find out. We have been misled for years in order to boost pharmaceutical and food packaging industry profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness