Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

"When opioid addiction occurs, it is rarely someone’s only mental health problem."

What Science Says To Do If Your Loved One Has An Opioid Addiction:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...oid-addiction/

Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
But they were still addicted to something that ruined their health, ruined their family life, probably cost them careers even though they were "safer". Having any substance control your life to the point that you can do nothing except crave it isn't any way to live. Is the problem more acceptable if its out of sight? Addicts tucked safely inside their homes getting their fix by prescription instead of roaming the streets? The problem isn't so simple that it can be pinned on one thing like a corrupt DEA. If it was, it would be easier to solve with a stroke of a pen.
But its not Govts place to come in regulate this, if someone wants to live like that and they are not harming anyone else, thats up to them.

I would very much prefer addicts getting their fix thru doctors versus out stealing and robbing, getting their fix illegally. this is much safer for everyone.

Most of the negative things, like ruining your life, loosing your job, etc is due to the illegal status of the drugs in the first place. The illegal status is why heroin is more expensive than gold, strictly looking at it as a product, it should be very cheap (it comes from a plant and not that difficult to make).

Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM

I forgot to mention, I have lived thru this. I started out getting Vicodin and other mild narcotics thru my doctor for a back problem, it worked great at taking my back pain away, but unfortunately it also made me feel GREAT mentally too, its like an instant 'be in a great mood' pill, so I started take more of it, or request it when I didnt really need it for pain.

Thanks to tolerance, I moved up quickly, to Percocet and then to Methadone, all prescribed for pain, but at this point I was using them to make me feel good.

I ran out of methadone early each month and would buy drugs off the street for these times until I could get my refill at the doctors. I was discharged/kicked out when they did a surprise drug test and found morphine (heroin). so I started buying heroin every day. I was spending 95% of my paycheck on dope, on top of borrowing money left and right from friends and family. I was spending roughly $250 per day, and that was really only enough to make me feel normal (not sick), so I could get thru work that day.

Eventually though, I tapped out and got into a Suboxone program, and am still on it today. This drug has saved my life.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
^^^. Yeah, but the guy in the article started out illegally using to get high. He wasn't a victim of Big Pharma lying about that OxyContin and the like were not addictive, or the push in the medical community against "pseudo addiction." He started out using illegally to get high. This guy did not get hooked by accident.

Major props for getting clean! I wish you luck in your journey.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
^^^. Yeah, but the guy in the article started out illegally using to get high. He wasn't a victim of Big Pharma lying about that OxyContin and the like were not addictive, or the push in the medical community against "pseudo addiction." He started out using illegally to get high. This guy did not get hooked by accident.

Major props for getting clean! I wish you luck in your journey.
Well, in years past, people were lied to about cigarettes too, at one point, they even claimed certain brands were more healthy than others, of course, today we know now they were lying to everyone, but Govt never stepped in and aggressively target access to cigarettes...its 2018 and they still do not, anyone 18 and over can go just about anywhere and buy as many as they like every day.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, in years past, people were lied to about cigarettes too, at one point, they even claimed certain brands were more healthy than others, of course, today we know now they were lying to everyone, but Govt never stepped in and aggressively target access to cigarettes...its 2018 and they still do not, anyone 18 and over can go just about anywhere and buy as many as they like every day.
The difference between cigarettes and opiates is that cigarettes offer no benefits to the user. Opiates are important drugs that help with pain management. So that is a false equivalency. Also, I do think this story is not relatable since as the other poster pointed out, they were hooked BEFORE they started getting pills.

I do think that opiates are overprescribed and I also think pill mills were the beginning of the end as far as reigning in prescriptions. Doctors need to know when to stop prescribing them.

I am someone who has taken Vicodin on and off all my life. When I was younger I took them for headaches. Never got hooked. This last year I have been taking them from May 2017 to January 2018 for PN pain. I weaned myself off of them and my doctor would have refilled my prescription but I declined. I got tired of being foggy. But every time she did refill them I had to go to make an appointment for her to evaluate me.
I believe my story is more common than people getting a prescription for them and then turning into addicts. We just never hear about those stories.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The difference between cigarettes and opiates is that cigarettes offer no benefits to the user. Opiates are important drugs that help with pain management. So that is a false equivalency. Also, I do think this story is not relatable since as the other poster pointed out, they were hooked BEFORE they started getting pills.

I do think that opiates are overprescribed and I also think pill mills were the beginning of the end as far as reigning in prescriptions. Doctors need to know when to stop prescribing them.

I am someone who has taken Vicodin on and off all my life. When I was younger I took them for headaches. Never got hooked. This last year I have been taking them from May 2017 to January 2018 for PN pain. I weaned myself off of them and my doctor would have refilled my prescription but I declined. I got tired of being foggy. But every time she did refill them I had to go to make an appointment for her to evaluate me.
I believe my story is more common than people getting a prescription for them and then turning into addicts. We just never hear about those stories.
I couldn't agree more! Amen!

Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Can Opiates Affect My Memory? | Opiate Rehab Treatment

Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
But its not Govts place to come in regulate this, if someone wants to live like that and they are not harming anyone else, thats up to them.

I would very much prefer addicts getting their fix thru doctors versus out stealing and robbing, getting their fix illegally. this is much safer for everyone.

Most of the negative things, like ruining your life, loosing your job, etc is due to the illegal status of the drugs in the first place. The illegal status is why heroin is more expensive than gold, strictly looking at it as a product, it should be very cheap (it comes from a plant and not that difficult to make).
As long as they are not using my hard earned money to survive.

Getting their fix through doctors means someone, besides themselves, is paying for that fix and that doctor. If a family has the means to provide that money, that is entirely up to them. The minute you use MY money to fund YOUR addiction, I have every right to say how that happens.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
If you personally have never had a drug or alcohol addiction, you should not comment. It's not easy to just stop.
I'm sure it's not easy to stop, but what I cannot fathom is, when you know addiction is pretty much going to happen, why do it any way. I'm sorry, but I was around drugs growing up. , cocaine, acid, mesculin, downers, uppers, why in God's name would anyone want to chance an addiction. We didn't. We refused to mess with the stuff.

I had two total knee replacements, after the surgery, they had morphine and something else going into my spine. When I got home from rehab, they had me on Vicadin and Oxycotin. I weened myself off of them, b/c I knew how addictive they were....

I'm sorry it doesn't make any sense to me, what-so-ever to even try them once...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness