U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:28 PM

4,102 posts, read 9,854,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
But its not Govts place to come in regulate this, if someone wants to live like that and they are not harming anyone else, thats up to them.

I would very much prefer addicts getting their fix thru doctors versus out stealing and robbing, getting their fix illegally. this is much safer for everyone.

Most of the negative things, like ruining your life, loosing your job, etc is due to the illegal status of the drugs in the first place. The illegal status is why heroin is more expensive than gold, strictly looking at it as a product, it should be very cheap (it comes from a plant and not that difficult to make).
YOU may prefer this route but it has NEVER been the role of physicians to "provide addicts with their fix" nor will it ever be the role for physicians....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 03:28 PM

1,616 posts, read 544,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
YOU may prefer this route but it has NEVER been the role of physicians to "provide addicts with their fix" nor will it ever be the role for physicians....
Isn't part of the problem that many physicians (those with good intentions, not pill mill types) don't know how to tell when a patient has crossed some threshold between legitimately needing relief from severe pain and desiring the side effects of the drug they were on? I have never been there so can't appreciate how difficult it must be. When I listen to people complain about various aches and pains it often surprises me how potent a medication they demand to get rid of it. Sure, there is annoying pain and there is life-altering PAIN. Some of this must be due to people's unrealistic expectation. Also, from the patient's perspective, is it really that difficult to know for yourself that you want/need the side effect rather than the pain relief? I'm not even considering those who want a drug for recreation from day one. That is pretty straightforward irresponsibility and frankly, stupidity.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:44 PM

12,219 posts, read 3,723,401 times
I've heard a few MD's on my radio programs say "we doctors are a lot of the blame of this epidemic", one I hear daily is Dr. Drew Pinsky who has been in the intervention and rehab world for years.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM

19,190 posts, read 12,797,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I would think this would fall under "do no harm".

Much of the tightening has come from studies that show a variety of findings:

Non Opioid Pain Relievers Are Just As Effective As Opioid: Non Opioid Pain Relievers Just As Effective as Opioids, Finds Study | Time

https://www.statnews.com/2017/11/07/...rs-er-opioids/

https://drugabuse.com/opiate-alterna...brand-new-bag/

If they were not addicted to opiates, they would probably be addicted to something else, and I am sure some have more than one addiction. We all end up paying for their addictions one way or the other, so I'm giving them no pity party.

Of course it is hard to break an addiction, a very good reason not to start! I suspect most of these addicts have a much shorter lifespan, but then again, they really aren't living anyway, just waiting for the next fix.

No pain at all? Of course that would feel great, especially at my age, but I didn't get to my age by being stupid! They claim this makes the users even more pain sensitive, but of course since they know the slightest pain mental, physical or emotional can be washed away with an opiate.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:42 PM

197 posts, read 48,615 times
You'd think that by now the word is out that opioids are so addictive that they will destroy your life. Like Krokodil. Don't do it.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:20 PM

8,300 posts, read 2,189,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Many here are being offered help to get off their addictions and they refuse. It's totally obscene all these souls laying on the streets with their addictions.
Yes, it's sad, but they need to want the help. It's so easy to get Opioids and so easy to get hooked. It's sad

Old 02-13-2018, 06:20 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,302,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
You'd think that by now the word is out that opioids are so addictive that they will destroy your life. Like Krokodil. Don't do it.
Not everyone's life. Some people actually NEED to take them.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:52 PM

197 posts, read 48,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not everyone's life. Some people actually NEED to take them.
I had a kidney stone and didn't take any pain killers until I was conveniently given some Vicodin, then I took one pill on 2 occasions. 150 years ago you just had to deal with pain.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:42 PM

792 posts, read 440,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
I had a kidney stone and didn't take any pain killers until I was conveniently given some Vicodin, then I took one pill on 2 occasions. 150 years ago you just had to deal with pain.
and?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:14 PM

16,069 posts, read 15,248,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
and?
Yeh, and people had limbs amputated without anesthesia too. For the few surgeries I've had, I was glad to have a pain killer available. About six years ago I had about 5 oxycodin and ended up taking 2. I had no idea those pills were anything "special" and all they did was kill the pain from surgery. I didn't get addicted at all. When the pain diminished, I didn't take the rest. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness