U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 PM

16,994 posts, read 5,421,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, and people had limbs amputated without anesthesia too. For the few surgeries I've had, I was glad to have a pain killer available. About six years ago I had about 5 oxycodin and ended up taking 2. I had no idea those pills were anything "special" and all they did was kill the pain from surgery. I didn't get addicted at all. When the pain diminished, I didn't take the rest. That's all.
There must have been pain meds back in the days as people had surgeries but don't know what they took. My parents had anacin, bayer, bufferin in their medicine cabinet. I had a surgery in the 80's and I'm sure they gave me some pain med, don't know what. Today, it's right to the opioid it seems.

I know before hip surgery, I had to get off ibuprofen as it is a blood thinner and was given darvocet by the MD and then given darvocet after hip replacement and then it was taken off market and that was in 2010.

I have bodywide OA pain but won't take anything stronger than ibuprofen, thank goodness it hasn't harmed me...I've got a card of oxycodone from the last rehab but won't use them...terrible side effects for me.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 PM

3,632 posts, read 4,365,821 times
I pray without judgment for anyone struggling with addiction. No one is spared from this tragedy.

I've always had opioids thrown at me for minor dental work and post-surgery medication. I injured myself on active duty and deal with chronic pain daily. I've had bottles and bottles of opioids prescribed to me by civilian doctors years ago. I've been prescribed opioids by VA doctors and doctors on post as well but not as much.

I never really took them because my family always had this notation about taking medication. They would always talk about a holistic approach. You know the family member that uses baking soda, vinegar, and peroxide for everything?

I've tried many things for pain relief. Yoga, Thai Chi, PT, Chiropractor, Acupuncture etc. I started going to a Pain Management Clinic for my pain. I was surprised to find out that they make people take a drug test before they will even schedule anything including to see the doctor. The doctor told me that so many people go doctor shopping for prescriptions now so it is a cautionary measure. Well, I know pain medication will not be an option for me even though I have years of documented pain, a doctor is afraid to lose their license and are being looked at with a fine toothcomb. I don't doubt that they should be.

I really believe the drug companies are partially to blame for this widespread epidemic. It reminds me of the tobacco companies and the pattern of lies that they told the American public that had last effects on people's health.

I was reading an article this morning. These people have no remorse for the hundreds of thousands of lives they have devastated.

Purdue and other drugmakers "have a lot of explaining to do," for their contention that use of oxycodone "for patients in pain wouldn't lead to addiction," says Army Col. Chester Buckenmaier, an anesthesiologist and professor at the Uniformed Services University in Bethesda, Md. "We now know that’s not true and use these medications with more respect and more caution."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ids/321433002/

Old 02-14-2018, 07:16 AM

24,922 posts, read 22,760,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've heard a few MD's on my radio programs say "we doctors are a lot of the blame of this epidemic", one I hear daily is Dr. Drew Pinsky who has been in the intervention and rehab world for years.
I still don't and won't buy this...for goodness sakes, and I am saying this to doctors and patients alike....

If a doctor give you a prescription to take, the patient should take the responsibility to find out what that drug is, what the side effects are, and if it is addictive or not???????

Common sense. To take meds without knowing is irresponsible....

I heard a radio announcer say this morning, that now, the FDA is demanding that the drugs have a warning issued on them if they are addictive....for goodness sakes, have people gotten less informed than when I was growing up?

Like everything else, anything to excuse the problems.....instead of fixing the problems which take responsibility from each and every person involved, especially those who are taking the drugs....and

I'd be willing to bet, that most drug addictions are "not" from a prescription...but from people trying out the drug so to speak. Just like some did in our time....I grew up in the 60's and drugs were prevalent... they were all around us, and you either did them, or not. Remember the 1st lady's slogan, "just say NO!"

Our parents were strict, they pulled no punches, and we knew, if we did drugs, there was a chance for addictions....many of us, didn't even want to chance experimenting.

So why the lax in judgement now? That is the question we have to ask.

Again I have two questions...

1. are drugs any worse than they were back in the 60's.
2. why a full blow epidemic now, or is that simply what they are calling it, since rich kids are now dying?

Years ago, inner city kids were infested with addictions and no one cared...until Nancy Reagan started a war on drugs, sighting "Just say No".

Now I'm not in any way, talking about people with chonic pain, I'm talking about the Wood Stock gangs, and concert goers...who experimented with all kinds of drugs.

It hasn't changed, kids are still standing on street corners selling drugs....their main goal in life, is to make enough to buy a BMW.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I pray without judgment for anyone struggling with addiction. No one is spared from this tragedy.

I've always had opioids thrown at me for minor dental work and post-surgery medication. I injured myself on active duty and deal with chronic pain daily. I've had bottles and bottles of opioids prescribed to me by civilian doctors years ago. I've been prescribed opioids by VA doctors and doctors on post as well but not as much.

I never really took them because my family always had this notation about taking medication. They would always talk about a holistic approach. You know the family member that uses baking soda, vinegar, and peroxide for everything?

I've tried many things for pain relief. Yoga, Thai Chi, PT, Chiropractor, Acupuncture etc. I started going to a Pain Management Clinic for my pain. I was surprised to find out that they make people take a drug test before they will even schedule anything including to see the doctor. The doctor told me that so many people go doctor shopping for prescriptions now so it is a cautionary measure. Well, I know pain medication will not be an option for me even though I have years of documented pain, a doctor is afraid to lose their license and are being looked at with a fine toothcomb. I don't doubt that they should be.

I really believe the drug companies are partially to blame for this widespread epidemic. It reminds me of the tobacco companies and the pattern of lies that they told the American public that had last effects on people's health.

I was reading an article this morning. These people have no remorse for the hundreds of thousands of lives they have devastated.

Purdue and other drugmakers "have a lot of explaining to do," for their contention that use of oxycodone "for patients in pain wouldn't lead to addiction," says Army Col. Chester Buckenmaier, an anesthesiologist and professor at the Uniformed Services University in Bethesda, Md. "We now know that’s not true and use these medications with more respect and more caution."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ids/321433002/

they want to blame, blame, blame everything and everyone except the person who took oxy, to get high.

Patients who take pain pills for pain, have no other choice....and I'm talking debilitating pain or conditions that are constant, for the rest of their lives. Fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc....

people should know, any drug is a chemical...and the body builds up a resistance to any drug, over a period of time, which finds it necessary to increase the dosage. I knew this information as a kid...and how easy it was to become addicted, and even told people while growing up, "I'm not going to do drugs until I absolutely have no other choice, b/c they are chemicals, and I don't want to introduce that to my body"

How is it we knew that, as kids, but grown adults are claiming to not know that now, so that they have to now label these drugs as addictive?

I'm sorry but this whole thing is an insult to the intellect of the people in the U.S.

And if we've really regressed in intellect, than I suggest we take some drastic course, like getting back to the practice of teaching kids how to read, and research everything, being proactive and responsible, and teaching them awareness and safety for oneself. Get rid of the quick fixes, and teach them how to problem solve.

I'm going to say what my parents used to say, "so, just b/c someone told you to jump off a cliff, are you going to do so?"

Honestly, when I read this junk, I consider myself lucky b/c our parents were so involved with teaching us right from wrong, and being very strict....not to mention, we were so much more mature and responsible at our early age.

I started cooking meals for us, b/c my mom worked 2 and 3 jobs to keep food on the table? I did laundry, cleaned and ironed and was even made to do the grocery shopping. My maternal mother was tough, more so than most parents, but in some ways, I'm so glad she was, when I watch the kids of today. Something is really going wrong...and I'm very serious.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 AM

4,625 posts, read 5,706,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
I had a kidney stone and didn't take any pain killers until I was conveniently given some Vicodin, then I took one pill on 2 occasions. 150 years ago you just had to deal with pain.
Well bully for you! So your argument is that because YOU did not have to take pain killers everyone should be able to handle severe pain without them.

Lots of people need to take pain killers. They do not become addicts.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM

4,910 posts, read 1,196,997 times
The fact that so many people on here think its acceptable for a govt agency to come between a doctor and patient is unbelievable to me! Why not leave this decision up to the doctors? Is their schooling not adequate now in this regard? If doctors were so wrong about this, surely they are wrong about many other things too.

When doctors are literally scared to prescribe something, due to DEA restrictions, there is a major problem, a much larger problem than any drug abuse. This is behavior of a tyrannical govt imo.

I think the problem is, most people are not aware of why drug laws were originally created, and why they are so aggressively enforced today, they have NEVER had anything to do with protecting the health and safety of the public. Even those that designed and wrote the drug laws under Hoover admitted they were purely for racist reasons, it was a way to control certain minorities and what part of the city they spent time in.

It reminds me of that old quote "those that give up a little freedom for a little safety, deserve neither"

Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The fact that so many people on here think its acceptable for a govt agency to come between a doctor and patient is unbelievable to me! Why not leave this decision up to the doctors? Is their schooling not adequate now in this regard? If doctors were so wrong about this, surely they are wrong about many other things too.

When doctors are literally scared to prescribe something, due to DEA restrictions, there is a major problem, a much larger problem than any drug abuse. This is behavior of a tyrannical govt imo.

I think the problem is, most people are not aware of why drug laws were originally created, and why they are so aggressively enforced today, they have NEVER had anything to do with protecting the health and safety of the public. Even those that designed and wrote the drug laws under Hoover admitted they were purely for racist reasons, it was a way to control certain minorities and what part of the city they spent time in.

It reminds me of that old quote "those that give up a little freedom for a little safety, deserve neither"

honestly, I believe America has regressed and not progressed. The intellect simply doesn't seem to be there.

I see the darnest things posted by people with children on FB....and I think, "Are you kidding me". There is a PI that comes with each and every prescription and on that PI or instructions, it states what the drug is all about, if you should eat before taking this, if you shouldn't drive while taking it, etc....

I don't believe anyone reviews it? Honestly....they couldn't.

And now to want to blame everyone else except the individual addicted. please???????? No one twisted that person's arm, held them down and poured the pills into their mouths. It was strictly voluntary. And the whole thing of blaming everyone else is just ludacris....anyone with any brain should know better, I'm sorry....

Perhaps it is a epidemic, however, what changed since I was a kid? Lets look at that, instead of quick fixes and blaming others....there is an absence of maturity, responsibility, and intellect if your going to play with drugs. If I light a candle, I know if I hold my finger in the flame, I'm going to get burned....the same with doing drugs....

I'm not being judgmental, it's the truth, it's common sense....so what's the answer, now take it all away and make people who live in chronic pain pay for the absence of intellect from those who played with drugs.

I'm sorry people are dying, and kids are dying, but as I suggested before, tons of kids were dying years ago, in the projects and in inner cities, this is nothing new...meth labs,heroine, you name it, they were selling it....making it...the difference is, now kids in rural communities, and rich kids are dying, so now, it becomes a concern and they label it an epidemic...law suits....

Why are they doing it? What is their life lacking? Parents?

Not in all cases but how come we KNEW NOT to do this crap as kids, and to take nothing from anyone else in the form of a pill.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 AM

62 posts, read 15,765 times
I blame the big pharma companys for unleashing this scourge upon us, and the FDA/gov for allowing it.
My neph was a good kid, got into a serious car accident and was subscribed oxy by the doctors
Yes it worked great for the pain, but once the treatment/coverage expired you are then cut off,
leaving you addicted but not entitled to continue treatment, forcing those afflicted to find there own means
to satisfy the body's need for opiates, and herion is a lot cheaper and easier to get your hans on. this caused him to become a full blown addict, he didnt willingly decide to become an addict.
there is nothing mental with this addicted as compared to tobacco/alcohol/cocaine - those can be conquered with a strong mind set, this addiction is from the body demanding to receive to feel at ease.

These companys & gov well know the dangers of opiods and herion addiction, but they allowed doctors to prescripe it so that they could make billions.
When are they going to be held accountable for releasing this plaque on society

Old 02-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
I had a kidney stone and didn't take any pain killers until I was conveniently given some Vicodin, then I took one pill on 2 occasions. 150 years ago you just had to deal with pain.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe taking two pills are going to automatically addict you.

Like I explained, I've had major surgery....and had both Vicodin and Oxy....and weened myself off of them. When I had two total knee replacements, at that time Oxy was the drug of choice so there was a lot about them.

So I had back surgery and because of these idiots, the doctor only gave me 3 days worth of pain pills....so I had to figure out, how to get someone to drive down to the doctors office, pick up a new prescription, then drive to the pharmacy and wait for the prescription.

Geeze Louise, and I won't take drugs if I don't have to, believe me. But it's the people in pain now that has to suffer for the stupidity of the masses. Sure, punish them?????

Old 02-14-2018, 09:58 AM

16,994 posts, read 5,421,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Well bully for you! So your argument is that because YOU did not have to take pain killers everyone should be able to handle severe pain without them.

Lots of people need to take pain killers. They do not become addicts.
But it seems that many do carry that addiction "gene" and end up getting addicted to oxy and vicodin etc..and it seems for a good many yrs doctors kept refilling those scripts and how many docs know when they give these scripts who is prone to addiction. I questioned myself over the years on the alcohol issue as I did my share of drinking for years and lived with an alcoholic parent...so I did question it...but I'm not and have not picked up wine in years. A loved one in my family had it on both sides of parents and she ended up in a mess with pain pill addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness