Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 05:12 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times

Advertisements

Sadly fascinating, a long look at a family trying to deal with an opiod addict.

1 Son, 4 Overdoses, 6 Hours
Drug deaths draw the most notice, but more addicted people live than die. For them and their families, life can be a relentless cycle of worry, hope and chaos.

By Katharine Seelye

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/us/opioid-addiction-treatment-families.html

Old 02-07-2018, 07:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
There are so many stories out there and lost lives. My family had it's own and loved one spent 13 months in rehab due to opiod addiction.

Here in LA, homeless issues is forever on the news, over 50,000 on the streets and from what news people reporting this info, addiction is wide spread and so much started with opiod addiction. Many other stores too but the drug addictions are huge issues.

With my recent knee issue, long story, I was so happy to get off that pain med.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
What really made the heroin epidemic so bad was the crackdown on legal opiate painkillers back in 2012. Most addicts then were content taking pills obtained thru a doctor or buying them from someone who had a script, once the DEA put a stop to this, all the addicts switched to readily available (and cheap) heroin.

It may be hard to admit, but addicts were actually safer taking/ abusing opioid pills versus heroin bought on the street, at least with the pills, they knew what they were getting and taking. with heroin, it could have anything under the kitchen sink added to it.

From what I have seen and experienced, the DEA is the most corrupt agency out there, they need to be dissolved immediately. They are nothing but lobbyists for the drug cartels.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What really made the heroin epidemic so bad was the crackdown on legal opiate painkillers back in 2012. Most addicts then were content taking pills obtained thru a doctor or buying them from someone who had a script, once the DEA put a stop to this, all the addicts switched to readily available (and cheap) heroin.

It may be hard to admit, but addicts were actually safer taking/ abusing opioid pills versus heroin bought on the street, at least with the pills, they knew what they were getting and taking. with heroin, it could have anything under the kitchen sink added to it.

From what I have seen and experienced, the DEA is the most corrupt agency out there, they need to be dissolved immediately. They are nothing but lobbyists for the drug cartels.
Many here are being offered help to get off their addictions and they refuse. It's totally obscene all these souls laying on the streets with their addictions.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:36 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Many here are being offered help to get off their addictions and they refuse. It's totally obscene all these souls laying on the streets with their addictions.
If you personally have never had a drug or alcohol addiction, you should not comment. It's not easy to just stop.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:52 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

But they were still addicted to something that ruined their health, ruined their family life, probably cost them careers even though they were "safer". Having any substance control your life to the point that you can do nothing except crave it isn't any way to live. Is the problem more acceptable if its out of sight? Addicts tucked safely inside their homes getting their fix by prescription instead of roaming the streets? The problem isn't so simple that it can be pinned on one thing like a corrupt DEA. If it was, it would be easier to solve with a stroke of a pen.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
If you personally have never had a drug or alcohol addiction, you should not comment. It's not easy to just stop.
These people are being given chances, I had a family member very addicted to opioids and she finally thru a somewhat intervention spent 13 months in rehab facility. I've seen it, lived it thru family member and I hear it every day on the news how people on the streets are being approached to be helped. It's not about me that I'm commenting on. I've heard plenty of stories on addictions, and how terribly difficult it is to break them. I lived a lot of my life with a family member alcoholic..Oh, I've seen it. And I've been in AA rooms hearing stories of success.

My grandkids lost their alcohol, nicotine, addicted father due to cancer from these addictions...Oh I've seen it.

Why can't I comment?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-11-2018 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 03:34 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,432 times
Regardless of the substance dealing with an addict is tough. You have the voice of reason in your head. In their head is what they need and how to get it. You get worn down over time living with or being related to an addict. I was not successful in helping a life long addict. I just ended up putting time and distance between us. Short of forced rehab some will never recover and even then, its just time between rehabs. I feel for anyone who loves an addict.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Why can't I comment?
It's not that you can't comment, you just can't comment with much understanding or knowledge on the situation. If you personally have never been through addiction yourself, you don't understand why "they" can't just stop the pills. You might have seen it and heard about it in the AA rooms, but that isn't something you yourself went through. Believe me, it's just different.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
It's not that you can't comment, you just can't comment with much understanding on the situation. If you personally have never been through addiction yourself, you don't understand why "they" can't just stop the pills. You might have seen it and heard about it in the AA rooms, but that isn't something you yourself went through. Believe me, it's just different.
You said "you should not comment".

And many do beat their addictions. Why are all the AA rooms filled with success stories and comments like: keep coming back, it works if you work it.

And no I don't live in the skin of one who is addicted. I probably was to sugars in my young yrs but not now.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-11-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness