Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 06:38 AM

513 posts, read 731,657 times

Advertisements

I went to a new doctor the first of January, who gave me new prescriptions, and visited a new pharmacy later that day in my new town. Today I checked when I could refill these five prescriptions (four for 30 tablets/capsules and the fifth 60 capsules taken twice daily) and realized the bottle labels read "Refill 1 time before 1/4/2019." These are meds that I take, and need, daily.

I don't remember that the wording was that at my last pharmacy. What exactly does this mean? That they will be renewed every month until 2019? I know I should check with the doctor's office, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to return phone calls, especially now during flu season. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 AM

214 posts, read 178,006 times
Sounds like the Dr may have written the prescription wrong?

Ask the pharmacy how your Dr submitted it but it sounds like you need to call the Dr.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 AM

36,330 posts, read 15,927,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I went to a new doctor the first of January, who gave me new prescriptions, and visited a new pharmacy later that day in my new town. Today I checked when I could refill these five prescriptions (four for 30 tablets/capsules and the fifth 60 capsules taken twice daily) and realized the bottle labels read "Refill 1 time before 1/4/2019." These are meds that I take, and need, daily.

I don't remember that the wording was that at my last pharmacy. What exactly does this mean? That they will be renewed every month until 2019? I know I should check with the doctor's office, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to return phone calls, especially now during flu season. Thanks in advance.
It means you only have 1 refill, for February. Unless you have a follow up appt. in February, they will have to approve refills or contact them for new RX to add more refills.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:23 AM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:

That date is the expiration date of the prescription, these generally expire one year from the date they are written. This means you have until that date to take those scrips to be filled, and to get the one refill indicated on the scrips.

Your doc ordered one refill-meaning that you can get two months worth ( the 30 days worth on the scrip, and additional 30 days with the one refill), after which you will need new prescriptions. If you have another visit with your doctor within that time, you can get additional scrips at that time. If not, most docs offices have options for requesting scrip renewals on their voice mails when you call the office, and generally they will put in renewals in response to your recorded requests-even if they won't return your phone calls ( boy can I agree with you about that!).

It may also be that your pharmacy ( depending on which one you use) will contact your docs office to request additional scrips for those meds when you're close to running out- my pharmacy does that, but you'll want to check with them about their policies in regards to this, and request they do this.

If you're taking those drugs on an ongoing basis for chronic conditions, you might consider asking your doc ( or leaving a message on their pharmacy request voice mail) about a 90 day supply with refills instead of 30. If they give you a scrip for 90 days with 3 refills, that will set you up for a yr till you need a new prescription, and that actually makes for less work for everyone.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:21 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,051,103 times
It means you have one refill on the medications. After that your doctor will need to send in a new script.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM

7,465 posts, read 13,454,519 times
Quote:

No, it won't automatically be refilled, or renewed, every month.

FWIW, all my current Rx have this kind of "1 year out" date. It merely means that you have until 1/4/2019 to refill this RX one time, between now and next year, should you for some reason stop taking the Rx. I have one I've stopped taking, but still could refill 1 more time before next June.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:24 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,187,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
It means you have one refill on the medications. After that your doctor will need to send in a new script.
That and you have till 2019 to get the refill, even though you'll probably get it long before that.
If you take these daily you'll obviously run out long before...so make sure you see your Doc for a new prescription before you run out completely.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:22 AM

20,814 posts, read 28,127,344 times
It means you have one refill until 2019. It's always printed on our medication bottles.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:09 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
Sometimes, the pharmacy will call the doctor and ask if the Rx can be refilled....sometimes, you'll have to physically SEE the doctor to get a refill.
You have 1 remaining refill that's good until 2019.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Sometimes, the pharmacy will call the doctor and ask if the Rx can be refilled....sometimes, you'll have to physically SEE the doctor to get a refill.
You have 1 remaining refill that's good until 2019.
The doctor has already authorized one prescription refill for the OP, ( the script plus one refill were the orders), so there is no need for any additional authorization from the doc for that refill. The number of refills on a prescription ( many times it will be 3 for a medication a patient takes for a chronic condition on a long term basis) is authorized along with the original prescription by the prescribing healthcare provider. No need to see the doc, or contact him/her to refill a script.

Now, once those refills have run out, and the patient still needs the meds, the doctor or other provider must be contacted to RENEW that prescription. Some docs may require that the patient see them physically in order to get the new prescription, others may renew those prescriptions when contacted by the pharmacy to do so, under the conditions that the patient sees the doc regularly or will see them on a timely basis ( ie, annually, biannually, something like that), ie, is an ongoing regular patient. This is what the docs I see do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness