Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 08:50 PM

820 posts, read 972,420 times

Advertisements

My grandmother recently went into the hospital for a minor blood clot and underwent surgery to get it removed. The surgery went fine, but afterwards she was experiencing a little pain so they kept her there for observation. The next day, she was having a lot of trouble breathing and now she is in ICU on a ventilator. She is sedated because of all the medication, but she did open her eyes when my aunt went to see her today, but couldn't wave or anything. She has very bad health issues, such as MS, Crohn's disease, and also can barely walk due to a weak back, legs and hips. She is still very astute, though, and mentally healthy. I'm very worried after hearing this news, and my dad tells me she will make it but it will be a very long recovery (rehab, etc). My uncle wasn't as sure when I asked him the same question, and I know no one on here is a medical expert, but based on this description, do you think there is a guaranteed chance she will be weaned off the ventilator, if not in the next few days, at least within the next few weeks? Please don't lie to me either and say what I want to hear. I am at school right now, so I have not seen her, and I know she wouldn't want me to see like that either, so I won't be visiting unless God forbid the situation became graver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
My grandmother recently went into the hospital for a minor blood clot and underwent surgery to get it removed. The surgery went fine, but afterwards she was experiencing a little pain so they kept her there for observation. The next day, she was having a lot of trouble breathing and now she is in ICU on a ventilator. She is sedated because of all the medication, but she did open her eyes when my aunt went to see her today, but couldn't wave or anything. She has very bad health issues, such as MS, Crohn's disease, and also can barely walk due to a weak back, legs and hips. She is still very astute, though, and mentally healthy. I'm very worried after hearing this news, and my dad tells me she will make it but it will be a very long recovery (rehab, etc). My uncle wasn't as sure when I asked him the same question, and I know no one on here is a medical expert, but based on this description, do you think there is a guaranteed chance she will be weaned off the ventilator, if not in the next few days, at least within the next few weeks? Please don't lie to me either and say what I want to hear. I am at school right now, so I have not seen her, and I know she wouldn't want me to see like that either, so I won't be visiting unless God forbid the situation became graver.
Sorry about your grandmother, there is just so much we can do. She's obviously where she needs to be now. I lost my sister late 2016 to MS and all it's complications. Take care of yourself.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:04 PM

[quote=jaminhealth;50896255]Sorry about your grandmother, there is just so much we can do. She's obviously where she needs to be now. I lost my sister late 2016 to MS and all it's complications. Take care of yourself.[/QUOT

Thanks. I’m pretty optimistic since the surgery itself was only for a blood clot, and she has a strong heart and good blood pressure. Hopefully I’m right.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Nothing in medicine is guaranteed, especially given your grandmother's serious underlying health issues.

Even so, the overwhelming majority of people that are on ventilators because of surgery do come off them. If she had no impediments affecting her ability to breathe on her own before surgery, then unless that has changed, yes, she will most likely be able to come off it.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Nothing in medicine is guaranteed, especially given your grandmother's serious underlying health issues.

Even so, the overwhelming majority of people that are on ventilators because of surgery do come off them. If she had no impediments affecting her ability to breathe on her own before surgery, then unless that has changed, yes, she will most likely be able to come off it.
She is now breathing on her own without the ventilator, but still very tired and still on it most of the time. But I'm glad to say that things are much better than they were a couple of days ago.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
She is now breathing on her own without the ventilator, but still very tired and still on it most of the time. But I'm glad to say that things are much better than they were a couple of days ago.
Glad to hear this....best to direct your questions to her MD...

Old 02-03-2018, 09:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
They're probably doing a gradual weaning process.

Hang in there!

Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They're probably doing a gradual weaning process.

Hang in there!
I don't have access to the MD or anything but the family says she's doing a little better each day. I'm far away from my family now for school so I haven't seen or talked to her since the end of winter break, but this is just based on what I have been told. My dad thinks she'll make it, and I couldn't see her not making it at this point. However, they still think she will be in the ICU for weeks before getting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness