Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:45 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I would caution to make sure it doesn't already contain this. So many already are mixed, and it's toxic to the liver.

If it's mixed it is under the name Ultracet, not Tramadol.

Yes, I would advise people to know what they are taking...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 04:12 PM

18,715 posts, read 7,595,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I was just rxed the medicine tramadol, and was wondering if it's addictive, dangerous, helpful with fibro pain. Any one experienced with this drug?
Tramadol is an opioid.

I was prescribed Tramadol when I had a kidney stone. Worked fairly well, in the hospital. Still had some pain, but it was now tolerable.

But I wanted to stay away from opioids whenever possible. So when I got home, I stopped the tramadol and started taking ibuprofen instead.

To my surprise, ibuprofen worked much better than tramadol. I felt NO pain, for the rest of the time. Eventually passed the kidney stone and was fine.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:50 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Moderator cut: deleted post

1. This thread is about Tramadol not Lyrica

2. Lyrica is a very safe and effective when used as directed for indications such peripheral neuropathy and post herpetic neuralgia.

3. The fact that someone on a message board somewhere had side effects from a medication is hardly grounds for a class action suit

4. It is well known that Lyrica and its analogue Gabapentin need to be titrated UP and DOWN to avoid withdrawal symptoms, that fact does not make Lyrica a "bad" medication

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-12-2018 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 07:04 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Tramadol, any good for fibro?

The topic.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Tramadol is an opioid.

I was prescribed Tramadol when I had a kidney stone. Worked fairly well, in the hospital. Still had some pain, but it was now tolerable.

But I wanted to stay away from opioids whenever possible. So when I got home, I stopped the tramadol and started taking ibuprofen instead.

To my surprise, ibuprofen worked much better than tramadol. I felt NO pain, for the rest of the time. Eventually passed the kidney stone and was fine.
Tramadol is actually a synthetic opioid, but like another poster stated, it does still attach to the same mu receptors.

I believe many doctors are giving this out now instead of vicoden or something comparable, due to how strictly they monitor opioid prescriptions. I do not see this as good thing as DEA and govt are now a deciding factor in what kind of treatment a patient receives.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:08 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Tramadol is actually a synthetic opioid, but like another poster stated, it does still attach to the same mu receptors.

I believe many doctors are giving this out now instead of vicoden or something comparable, due to how strictly they monitor opioid prescriptions. I do not see this as good thing as DEA and govt are now a deciding factor in what kind of treatment a patient receives.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:09 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Couldn't agree more.

I agree too. Interesting that my veterinarians have no problem prescribing Tramadol for my older dogs' arthritis. My last older dog took it, in addition to Rimadyl, twice a day for 5 years. My current dog has been taking it, in addition to Rimadyl, twice a day for almost a year and will probably be on it for the rest of her life.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:43 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Can't speak directly for fibro, but I've tried Tramadol twice and hated it. Made me throw up and just feel generally awful - queasy and tired but unable to sleep. I made my doctor put a note in my chart to never ever give it to me again.

If you try it, make sure it's on a day where you can stay home to deal with it if you have negative side effects. You may be perfectly fine and get some good symptom relief, but just in case.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If it's mixed it is under the name Ultracet, not Tramadol.

tramacet as well.

I took tramadol for a couple of years...still do occasionally.
I found it harder to get off of than dilaudid.
I prefer hydromorphone (dilaudid) as a pain killer because I find (for me anyways) it works faster, and if taken for awhile, easier to stop taking.

I think the tramadol would work good for alot of people though.
50 mgs of tramadol has the same potency as 2 mgs of dilaudid (hydromorphone).

Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I was just rxed the medicine tramadol, and was wondering if it's addictive, dangerous, helpful with fibro pain. Any one experienced with this drug?
Tramadol is an opioid and has a high likelihood of addiction and resistance (which leads to higher doses needed to address the pain, which in turn leads to increased chance of addiction).

I can't take ANY opioid pain killers, they all make me sicker than the pain they're supposed to address.

If you are in a legal state, try medical marijuana. It has been a life changer for me. I have fibro and could not take any pain killers or sleep meds. The MMJ allows me to sleep normally for the first time in decades, and just that all by itself automatically makes everything better. I can't tell how much of the pain reduction I have experienced is due to better sleep and how much is due to the effects of the MMJ itself - but I don't really care. It's better. Even my thinking is better and clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness