U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:57 PM

2,835 posts, read 1,083,064 times

Advertisements

I was just rxed the medicine tramadol, and was wondering if it's addictive, dangerous, helpful with fibro pain. Any one experienced with this drug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 PM

14,456 posts, read 18,412,260 times
I took tramadol daily for 3 months and also took it after several surgeries. It's a good pain reliever. Someone told me that it upset her stomach but I've never had any unpleasant side effects. I also never got addicted to it and was able to stop taking it when the need was done.

I adopt only older dogs and the last two dogs have needed tramadol daily (in addition to another drug) for arthritis. Neither dog had any negative side effects.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:05 AM

26,261 posts, read 16,917,886 times
I have an ongoing script for tramadol, and it helps for FM. If you need a little stronger or want to use less, take it with Acetaminophen.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 02-11-2018, 11:31 AM

5,031 posts, read 1,222,457 times
I felt very anxious when I was taking this drug years ago. it also seemed like I was sweating more.

Tolerance builds up extremely fast too.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Tolerance builds up extremely fast too.

Tramadol is not supposed induce tolerance, but if it does, stop for a few days and go back. Just like with opioids.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:41 AM

4,512 posts, read 10,310,385 times
When Tramadol first came to market it was a non scheduled medication meaning it wasn't classified in the same way as narcotics. It was first thought that Tramadol was not addictive but that has proven not to be true.

Technically not an opiate, Tramadol works on the same pain receptors as opiates called mu receptors.

We now know there is an abuse potential and withdrawal symptoms can be seen with Tramadol so it is a scheduled medication.

Because of its unique mechanism of action this medication carries a risk of Serotonin Syndrome not seen with opiates, the risk is higher in folks already taking anti depressants.

All that being said, Tramadol is a relatively safe pain medication when taken as directed with less abuse potential than narcotics

Old 02-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Didn't know that. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2018, 11:52 AM

17,141 posts, read 5,470,800 times
Tried Tramadol yrs ago and it did nothing...got rid of it. Opiods terrible and got rid of them as soon as I could. Ibuprofen and what other stuff I use works well enough for the Fibro (I wonder about that dx) and arthritis and have learned to live with some pain.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM

4,729 posts, read 6,008,052 times
Works for me! I take Lyrica every day but sometimes I need to do strenuous work, like in the yard, and it works fabulously. I'm very thankful to have found something to help, as I would be pretty miserable if I had to go clothes shopping with DD or do yard work....Tylenol, Motrin, Aleve -- none of that had any effect at all on the pain, even at prescription strengths.

I use it only occasionally, though, so I have not built up any tolerance. I go to the doctor every 6 months and one bottle more than does me for that period of time. (I cut them in halves and fourths and take only as much as I need. I haven't taken a whole one since the very first one about a year ago.)

Old 02-11-2018, 03:33 PM

10,579 posts, read 4,984,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have an ongoing script for tramadol, and it helps for FM. If you need a little stronger or want to use less, take it with Acetaminophen.
I would caution to make sure it doesn't already contain this. So many already are mixed, and it's toxic to the liver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or