U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 PM

15,111 posts, read 28,261,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I read something on FB and wanted to know your thoughts....

I know that if you irrigate your sinuses, it helps to keep bacteria out of your nose, and helps you to avoid colds. And it makes sense, if your sinus is clean, it is harder for bacteria to multiply in there, right?

I read that, a nurse suggested that if you buy an anti-bacterial ointment, and take a Q-tip and put a bit around the inside of each nostrils, it might help avoid flu bacteria from entering in thru the nose?

What do you think?
Actually, the reason for irrigating your sinuses are to clear out old mucus which impedes the ability for your nose to "sweep" out intruders and also to toughen the lining of your nose and sinus to fend off virus attacks. Viruses attack the body by stabbing it with a little thing that looks like an arrow. When the arrow-like thing is stuck in your tissue, the DNA contained inside goes into your system and as your cells reproduce, they reproduce with the virus inside and a cold, or flu is born. Most irrigation solutions contain sodium which toughens the membranes and helps prevent this from happening. Vitamin C also thickens the membranes and reinforces the cellular integrity of the nasal lining which also fends off those little arrows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 08:28 PM

24,446 posts, read 15,778,976 times
the virus attaches itself to a specific host cell (the cell in which it will reproduce) the virus injects its genetic material into the host cell. the host cell uses the genetic material to make new viruses. the host cell splits open, releasing the viruses

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...yond_the.../4/
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 02-13-2018, 11:01 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,373,049 times
Quote:
I read that, a nurse suggested that if you buy an anti-bacterial ointment, and take a Q-tip and put a bit around the inside of each nostrils, it might help avoid flu bacteria from entering in thru the nose?
What do you think?
Thatís actually a common intervention used in LTC centers for MRSA, using mupirocin (Bactroban).

Old 02-14-2018, 03:58 AM

11,513 posts, read 9,568,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do that, or put a wet wash cloth in the microwave and use it as a compress, with a few drops of essential oils it is very pleasant.

My air purifier has the UV light on it. I have no idea if it works, but it can't hurt.
The old UV lights have a broad spectrum according to the CUIMC research. That means they would be harmful to humans if we were exposed all the time. But that new research suggest that there is a limited spectrum UV light they refer to as "far-UVC" and it is not harmful to humans - but it kills viruses.

Of course that doe not mean that your air purifier does not work. It simply means that you could not look at or expose your skin directly to the UV light in your air purifier. With the new research, at some time in the future, you could be in an environment bathed in the far-UVC light that was killing off harmful organisms. The idea that this could be coming to schools, malls, and other social meeting places is exciting.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:40 AM

4,200 posts, read 10,011,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Actually, the reason for irrigating your sinuses are to clear out old mucus which impedes the ability for your nose to "sweep" out intruders and also to toughen the lining of your nose and sinus to fend off virus attacks. Viruses attack the body by stabbing it with a little thing that looks like an arrow. When the arrow-like thing is stuck in your tissue, the DNA contained inside goes into your system and as your cells reproduce, they reproduce with the virus inside and a cold, or flu is born. Most irrigation solutions contain sodium which toughens the membranes and helps prevent this from happening. Vitamin C also thickens the membranes and reinforces the cellular integrity of the nasal lining which also fends off those little arrows.
Using a Neti pot or similar nasal rinse removes excess mucous and debris from nasal passages to help with symptoms of colds, allergies etc...that' all it does...

It doesn't help "prevent" infection, it doesn't "toughen" the lining of the nose and sodium as in NaCl or salt doesn't toughen the lining either

Viruses don't use "darts" to attach to the "body"....a tough nasal lining won't prevent viruses from entering your system.

As Mikala pointed out with her link viruses attach to specific host cells.

Vitamin C also does not thicken membranes or "reinforce cellular integrity of nasal lining" to fend off non existent little arrows

This isn't how viruses attack, attach or replicate at all and does not explain how nasal irrigation helps with cold symptoms...

Old 02-14-2018, 07:51 AM

23,971 posts, read 22,014,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Flu and colds are viral, not bacterial, and an anti-bacterial ointment in your nose will do nothing to prevent them.

It is not possible to sterilize your sinuses by irrigating them. The bacteria found there will just regrow. Irrigating too much can remove the protective layer of mucus and actually create problems.

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/feat...ros-and-cons#1

strange, just goes to show you how everyone has their own opinions. My grand-daughter has terrible allergies....and she irrigates her sinus, every evening, as instructed by her doctor from the children's hospital? And that is the honest truth.
she also had asthma, and is Type 1. Three years ago, she had to have polyps removed from her nose, for breathing purposes, but continued with the irrigation every evening now....she goes to Vanderbilt.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 AM

19,821 posts, read 24,312,527 times
Quote:

strange, just goes to show you how everyone has their own opinions. My grand-daughter has terrible allergies....and she irrigates her sinus, every evening, as instructed by her doctor from the children's hospital? And that is the honest truth.
She might want to discuss it with her doctor. She may find it is not needed every day during seasons when the causes of her allergies are less prevalent.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:59 AM

24,446 posts, read 15,778,976 times
Quote:

she also had asthma, and is Type 1. Three years ago, she had to have polyps removed from her nose, for breathing purposes, but continued with the irrigation every evening now....she goes to Vanderbilt.
But allergies are different than a virus.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 02-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The old UV lights have a broad spectrum according to the CUIMC research. That means they would be harmful to humans if we were exposed all the time. But that new research suggest that there is a limited spectrum UV light they refer to as "far-UVC" and it is not harmful to humans - but it kills viruses.

Of course that doe not mean that your air purifier does not work. It simply means that you could not look at or expose your skin directly to the UV light in your air purifier. With the new research, at some time in the future, you could be in an environment bathed in the far-UVC light that was killing off harmful organisms. The idea that this could be coming to schools, malls, and other social meeting places is exciting.
I do the same fisheye, with peppermint....and other essential oils, i.e. tea tree, eucalyptus.....sometimes I mix them, and it is in my master bath aside of my bedroom.

I have not used a UV light, though....

Old 02-14-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But allergies are different than a virus.
yes, they are, your right, but, and call me crazy, but something inside of me says, if your sinus is clean, the virus may not be able to live and multiply....so knock on wood.

and to, I was replying to the fact that using a neti pot could be harmful to sinus if used too much.

A while back, (bout a month ago) I started developing an allergy to the dry heat in my home....so tried keeping it much cooler, and using cool mist humidifiers in my bedroom along with the essential oils.

It really did help, plus I doubled up on the vitamin C.

So I've kept doing it, thinking it might stave off the flu? Just makes me feel better...is all....
doesn't mean it's full proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or