U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

23,196 posts, read 21,506,543 times

Advertisements

I read something on FB and wanted to know your thoughts....

I know that if you irrigate your sinuses, it helps to keep bacteria out of your nose, and helps you to avoid colds. And it makes sense, if your sinus is clean, it is harder for bacteria to multiply in there, right?

I read that, a nurse suggested that if you buy an anti-bacterial ointment, and take a Q-tip and put a bit around the inside of each nostrils, it might help avoid flu bacteria from entering in thru the nose?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM

19,119 posts, read 23,666,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I read something on FB and wanted to know your thoughts....

I know that if you irrigate your sinuses, it helps to keep bacteria out of your nose, and helps you to avoid colds. And it makes sense, if your sinus is clean, it is harder for bacteria to multiply in there, right?

I read that, a nurse suggested that if you buy an anti-bacterial ointment, and take a Q-tip and put a bit around the inside of each nostrils, it might help avoid flu bacteria from entering in thru the nose?

What do you think?
Flu and colds are viral, not bacterial, and an anti-bacterial ointment in your nose will do nothing to prevent them.

It is not possible to sterilize your sinuses by irrigating them. The bacteria found there will just regrow. Irrigating too much can remove the protective layer of mucus and actually create problems.

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/feat...ros-and-cons#1

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

1,613 posts, read 542,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Flu and colds are viral, not bacterial, and an anti-bacterial ointment in your nose will do nothing to prevent them.
Sigh....too bad someone has to keep clarifying the difference, but thanks anyway.

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Sigh....too bad someone has to keep clarifying the difference, but thanks anyway.
It's a bit disturbing that a supposed nurse did not know the difference.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

9,841 posts, read 17,654,723 times
Sadly, too many "read something on FB" and think it's true instead of using common sense, doing their own research, etc.

Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM

10,978 posts, read 9,226,489 times
Quote:
It's a bit disturbing that a supposed nurse did not know the difference.
Suzy this has been in the news recently and could help protect large gathering places like malls and hospitals: Can UV Light Fight the Spread of Influenza? - Columbia University Medical Center. If it is true and it does no damage to humans; possibly it could even come into schools and homes?

Maybe it will put me out of business? It's time for me to retire permanently!

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

1,613 posts, read 542,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Suzy this has been in the news recently and could help protect large gathering places like malls and hospitals: Can UV Light Fight the Spread of Influenza? - Columbia University Medical Center. If it is true and it does no damage to humans; possibly it could even come into schools and homes?

Well, UV light is often used to de-contaminate drinking water. I've lived in houses using UV light treatment systems.

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Interesting!

Schools, maybe. It would seem to be more practical for areas where large numbers of people mingle.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Well, UV light is often used to de-contaminate drinking water. I've lived in houses using UV light treatment systems.
In our pharmaceutical industry, before you enter our controlled grade 'D', 'C' and 'C+' areas; our uncontrolled areas have bug zappers with ultraviolent light. We stop anything that can adversely affect our products. Also the air flow is controlled so 'dirty' air does not enter our controlled environments.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Interesting!

Schools, maybe. It would seem to be more practical for areas where large numbers of people mingle.
Before this UV was always used with caution because of the damage it could do to human cells. Of course we have heard many promising claims over the years; but who knows? I wonder if this would work on cruise ships for the norovirus? Too early to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness